The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Mar 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,112 of 1,431
I love my Audio Technica ATH-M50s's.  They are the cousin to my big three, (650, 880(600), K701)  <--- those big three!!  The M50 is my go to portable rig listening HP.  Plus my wife loves the sound signature.  I don't forsee ever getting rid of this cousin.  I am however wondering how the 840 compares?  Is it worth the purchase?  I am trying to focus on source, cable, tube, and tweek upgardes, darn it!  Anyone on how the 840 compares to M50?

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #1,114 of 1,431
Yeah there are many threads.... I was looking more from the M50 dedicated listeners standpoint directly.  I have been arguing with myself about the purchase, but as mentioned trying to focus on other area upgrades.

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #1,115 of 1,431
M50 - SRH840
I've posted this several times.
Had both, kept the M50.
The reason had more to do with the horribly uncomfortable (painful) fit and awkward ergonomics of the 840.
Sound was good, M50 is more 'fun', 840 more flat - neutral.

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #1,116 of 1,431

Quote:
I love my Audio Technica ATH-M50s's.  They are the cousin to my big three, (650, 880(600), K701)  <--- those big three!!  The M50 is my go to portable rig listening HP.  Plus my wife loves the sound signature.  I don't forsee ever getting rid of this cousin.  I am however wondering how the 840 compares?  Is it worth the purchase?  I am trying to focus on source, cable, tube, and tweek upgardes, darn it!  Anyone on how the 840 compares to M50?

My 840's should be here within the next couple of days, I will most definitely be posting my thoughts comparing the m50's 

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #1,117 of 1,431
im going to sell my srh840's too, i prefer the more lively response of the m50's.
plus having the two closed headphones is a little redundant for me, since one nearly always get neglected.
will sell the headphones to get an open headphone

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #1,118 of 1,431
Thank you all for your responses. Hearing your responses I do feel I need to audition the 840 in the future. However right now I have my cross hairs on a soils state amp (burson 160). Since this is the m50 appreciation thread.... M50 best can at the $100 (street price) mark I have heard yet!
Thanks again

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #1,119 of 1,431
Well just got my 840's.  About an 2 hours in so far. 

They most definitely have a warmer signature than my M50's.  Bass response is modest and highs dont feel as metallic and sharp.  A less fatiguing sound by far and most definitely less dynamic.   The mids on the 840s are outrageous and in my opinion the M50's retain a much flatter frequency response. 

I will say that the Shures have great build quality, I really like the detachable cable, the earpads are more comfortable than the m50's and they offer better isolation. 

BUT IN TERMS OF SOUND THE M50's to me are much superior. 
M50's sound clearer, more precise, excellent bass, and a flatter response.  Music just sounds so much more dynamic on the M50's

840's are just to high on the mids for me....

I would agree on all the points about the 840s in this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/575445/7-closed-headphones-vs-dynaudio-bm15-monitors-srh840-ath-m50-ath-a900-rh-300-q40-hfi680-pro-dj100-etc

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #1,120 of 1,431
Loved my M50s so much I got the LEs. Actually thinking of putting my original black ones up for trade towards some Senn HD25-1 IIs or something.

May 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,121 of 1,431
So I just finished doing a little bit of modding to my M50s. Long story short, I didn't like how they sounded with the 840 pads and the stock pads were incredibly uncomfortable. So I ordered a set of 940 pads and decided to use some leftover Paxmate I had from my T50RPs and placed it around the driver. The comfort is unbelievably good now. My ears don't touch the drivers anymore. And the 940 pads, although they don't isolate as good as the 840, feel great.

I haven't listened to these for an extended period of time, but I'm loving the sound so far.
I tried to make a perfect paxmate circle, but after trying that on my T50RPs I just didn't have the patience anymore. :p

This is how they look after applying paxmate/silverstone.

And this is with the pads on.

I don't have much experience describing sound, but I feel they are smoother now all the way through. Bass is still punchy, but doesn't feel bloated and the highs sparkle, but are not as sibilant as they were with the 840 pads (I can only hear sibilance on extremely sibilant songs). I also found instrument separation a bit better, I always felt the 840 pads made them sound a bit congested at times. The mids also feel slightly more present. Overall, a very pleasing sound. I still prefer my T50RPs, but I could listen to these for a full day without problem.

May 14, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #1,122 of 1,431
I love my M50's have had them for over a month now and listen to them daily. I have the silver and blue LE and sometimes it seems the left is louder then the right other times it seems balanced. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just crazy?

May 14, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #1,123 of 1,431
I got my ATH-M50 back on April 5th. These truly are the best headphones I've ever listened to in person. Clearly the best headphones you can get before you really get into the more "high class" cans. I bought them from Guitar Center where I A/B-ed them against the Beyerdynamics DT-770 80 ohm. In my opinion, the M50 has better sound quality (clearer highs and more natural bass response) and is 50 bucks cheaper! I do like the round design of the earcups and velour ear pads of the Beyerdynamics better though.

I love my M50's have had them for over a month now and listen to them daily. I have the silver and blue LE and sometimes it seems the left is louder then the right other times it seems balanced. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just crazy?

Strangest thing I just discovered last night, I had this same problem, but I decided to spin one of the earpads around and discovered that it may have been upside down. Now the sound is perfect out of both ears!

May 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #1,124 of 1,431
Strangest thing I just discovered last night, I had this same problem, but I decided to spin one of the earpads around and discovered that it may have been upside down. Now the sound is perfect out of both ears!

Well, they both look right side up to me, I have read a review on amazon and one on youtube of the 50th anniversary and they both said theirs had more sound from one ear. I guess if it is i'm use to it now because I don't notice it anymore.

May 15, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #1,125 of 1,431
After leaving my M-50s out to stretch over a bookshelf speaker for a few nights they've really loosened up on the clamp!

I thought mine had developed the crackling issue today but it turned out to be my old iPod mini on the fritz :frowning2:

Such a shame as it's the nicest sounding iPod I've heard, apart from the old 60g 5th gen that my gf has now, should have kept it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back