The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Dec 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #1,081 of 1,431

Quote:
hmmm....the vocals on mine are a bit recessed. Well, at least female vocals. And I wouldn't call them bright and fun. They're more of an analytical can imo. Nothing like a K701 or something but they're usefulness in a studio shows.

edit: Oh and did you get white box or blue box version?

Ok. Thanks!

I have the white box, with "teal" or "seafoam green" top. I bought it from amazon, and it supplied from austin bazaar, a registered ATH store.

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #1,082 of 1,431
Ok cool, you got the new one. But yeah, I do feel the vocals for girls get covered by instruments a lot. Instrument separation is a bit of an issue as well because of the smallvsound stage.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #1,083 of 1,431
Just had a go at AT-M50.

Extremely muffled, absolutely no micro-tonality left, soundstage is completely collapsed and the bass is almost one note. Yes they are cheap and isolate adequately, but that's about it.

I can't for the life of me understand how this could be anyone's idea of a monitoring headphone. For non-critical speech recording perhaps, not more.

The only thing worse that I listened during the same session was Sennheiser HD-380 Pro, which are just utterly disgusting. Something went very wrong with Sennheiser, when they designed those phones

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #1,084 of 1,431
It may just be me and I'll look into it over these next few days but I think my M50s may of just broken in....maybe. I've been messing with the EQ so the bass has been pretty heavy and I've been playing it pretty high over the last few days and initially I thought I may of done a bit too much because I kept hearing little pops and random noises in some of my tracks but I put on some tracks I knew were clear sounding and there was just some micro details and sonics I've never heard before. It's like they just....opened up or something. And the bass is more powerful than it was before, even without the EQ. It could just be me getting used to the un equalized sound again but these really sound good to me right now. I've only had them for a month keep in mind.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #1,085 of 1,431
I don't know, they still sound really good right now....really odd.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #1,087 of 1,431
new one is less bassy, more balanced sounding to put it lightly. Someone else around here probably knows a lot more than me.

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #1,088 of 1,431
Dec 27, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #1,091 of 1,431
Somewhere in the last 15-20 pages of this thread is a lengthy discussion of the differences; pro's vs. con's; etc. Take a look or do a search.

In sum, if I recall correctly, the new (white box) ones are generally thought to be better in terms of just overall balance and less pronounced bass.

Jim

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #1,092 of 1,431
I got the white box and at least for me the bass was very lacking as a basshead and didn't understand how some people were raving about its strong bass response and also I didn't hear much recessed mids at all, except for a slight peak somewhere in the treble the mids were the most forward sounding area and I liked the mids of it so yea white box are probably slightly more evenly balanced which would be a good thing for a studio monitor. So my guess is white box is slightly less bassy and has more forward midrange but we're probably talking very small differences still.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #1,093 of 1,431

Quote:
I got the white box and at least for me the bass was very lacking as a basshead and didn't understand how some people were raving about its strong bass response and also I didn't hear much recessed mids at all, except for a slight peak somewhere in the treble the mids were the most forward sounding area and I liked the mids of it so yea white box are probably slightly more evenly balanced which would be a good thing for a studio monitor.

This. Some people state the mids as being recessed beyond any recognition. I just don't hear it.

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,094 of 1,431

Quote:

This. Some people state the mids as being recessed beyond any recognition. I just don't hear it.

Me neither. Must be the difference between the old and the new. I honestly do think that most people are confused by the bass extension. The rumble of the sub bass makes it seem like there's far more of it than there actually is. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,095 of 1,431
Is there any other way to definitively tell whether you have the new or old versions. I bought mine in the summer of 2010 but don't have the box. Maybe if I saw pictures of the two different boxes I would be able to remember which one it was. Not a huge deal, I was just curious is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back