The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Mar 26, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #751 of 1,431

Quote:
Well not necessarily. The HD25 offers better clarity, more accurate bass, isolates better, and is lighter. However, they are both of great build quality, plus the M50 has better sound stage, more bass and deeper bass extension, it sounds more musical and fun than HD25, also it's circumaural rather than supraaural, which many might prefer for the sake for comfort.

True that. I exagerated when i said "every aspect"
One thing tho, I keep hearing that the M50 has deeper bass or more bass, but i just cant hear it, just two nights ago i was doing some A/B tests with both and I swear the HD25 with mini3 has more in quantity bass to my ears. I remark the amp because without it, is a different story. and i was also using the amp with the M50 but i couldnt notice any mayor difference.

As for comfort, yes most people prefer circumaural. I would too if as long as it isnt a big cup. the M50 has been accused to be "bulky" to carry, and while it is, i find it OK to put in a bag or even by hand. and I have a slappa headphone case that works just great for that end.

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #752 of 1,431
Yeah I should have mentioned 'unampped'. M50 benefits very little from amps while HD25 gets much more of a kick. I guess that's good and bad for M50, the pro is many would love it because it's great without having to worry about an amp, the con being that those that want more out of it via amping won't be happy.

Quote:

True that. I exagerated when i said "every aspect"
One thing tho, I keep hearing that the M50 has deeper bass or more bass, but i just cant hear it, just two nights ago i was doing some A/B tests with both and I swear the HD25 with mini3 has more in quantity bass to my ears. I remark the amp because without it, is a different story. and i was also using the amp with the M50 but i couldnt notice any mayor difference.

As for comfort, yes most people prefer circumaural. I would too if as long as it isnt a big cup. the M50 has been accused to be "bulky" to carry, and while it is, i find it OK to put in a bag or even by hand. and I have a slappa headphone case that works just great for that end.

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #753 of 1,431
A different topic of discussion but, how do you guys fold and pack the M50 into the bag? Is there some good way of packing the coiled cable other than wrapping it awkwardly around the the middle-line of the folded-up cans?

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #754 of 1,431
I do this:

e39bea88_ATHM50slappa.JPG

"Slappa Hardbody pro headphone case"

might be a big bulky but, it has its pros, like being water proof.

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #758 of 1,431

Quote:
does the m50 have a good amount of detail? mainly low end detail??

Best low end 'detail' I've found for the money is the HFI580.  Assuming we mean the same thing by low end detail.  Not Boom-Boom-Fart.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #760 of 1,431

Quote:
I thought coiled will be bulky for portable compared to straight cable folded?

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Tapatalk

Both are bulky, but i have the coiled and i cant wrap it around like the ones with straight cord. I have carried other hreadphones with a long straight cords before and it was easier.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #761 of 1,431
After a few weeks I find myself in a love/hate relationship with my M50's. I love them unless I listen to my SR225i's 1st, if I listen to them back to back - I always prefer the "Grado" sound. While I do love the isolation of the M50's and they really shine in a noisy environment - my ears get hot/sweaty after 30-45 minutes of use. I was also expecting more bass - I find my SR225i's to be better in this area as well. I guess it's a matter of I love them unless I compare them to my Grado's....which isn't fair to the M50's as both phones have a unique sound. If these were my 1st headphones, I'd be completely blown away.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #762 of 1,431
Could you compare and contrast the two sound signatures?

Quote:
After a few weeks I find myself in a love/hate relationship with my M50's. I love them unless I listen to my SR225i's 1st, if I listen to them back to back - I always prefer the "Grado" sound. While I do love the isolation of the M50's and they really shine in a noisy environment - my ears get hot/sweaty after 30-45 minutes of use. I was also expecting more bass - I find my SR225i's to be better in this area as well. I guess it's a matter of I love them unless I compare them to my Grado's....which isn't fair to the M50's as both phones have a unique sound. If these were my 1st headphones, I'd be completely blown away.

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #764 of 1,431

Quote:
Could you compare and contrast the two sound signatures?

I'll give it a go......

M50's - accurate, precise, laid back, mids seem to be recessed. Needs the volume to be turned up a bit to become enjoyable, low listening volumes seem very lacking.
225i's - airy, fast/punchy, forward and in your face. Brings life to the music - makes it fun, low listening volume is amazing (provided you are in a quiet place). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back