The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Mar 1, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #661 of 1,431
I thought you were planning on buying a new set of the stock pads? What made you change your mind about getting the 840 pads? :)

Quote:
thanks for the response. I think the iPod classic does affect sound a bit still but I found a problem I was having was the EQ on the iPod was set to Bass Booster and iPhone was Flat. Set the EQ to Flat for iPod as well and it sounds much much better. I'm getting new earpads for my headphones. The Shure 840 pads seemed like a recommended replacement from users all around head-fi. Gonna post later about the sound, comfort later, but I will definitely start wiping those ones down too.

Mar 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #662 of 1,431

Quote:
I have no doubt it can get loud easily, but there is being loud and music coming alive that had listened to even at moderate volume. My Rotel and B&W comes alive when I crank up the volume, but higher model can do at lower volume...

My m50s unamped sound really unbalanced
You have to turn up the volume to catch a mere glimpse of well defined mids,
In acoustic guitar tracks the bass overpoweres every other frequence.
I have to get a better source though.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #663 of 1,431
Hey, I did around 12 hours of burn in on my ATH-M50's already, and noticed that the right can is a tad bit less crisp? Any Ideas? Is this normal? And the mid range seems to be a tad less more receded.
Is it because no drivers are perfectly alike and give slightly different sound signatures? thanks.
Also, when you take off the pads, do you see a sticker that has 4 numbers on the plastic that is over the drivers?
Thanks.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #664 of 1,431
Wow... sorry to hear you're having issues.

Lots of questions...

How loud did you burn these in?
What is your source rig and music files?
Have you tried them with another source?
Have you listened to MONO recordings to be sure the same signal is being sent to both?

(sorry I've never pulled off the pads...)

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #665 of 1,431
Okay here is the thing, I compared just 2 seconds of a song side to side, and like I hear everything on one an all, but on the second one there is this 1 tiny small part where everything overwhelms the guitar strings and I can't hear the guitar for a sec, but with the other side I can hear it a little. My regular listening level is at %30 (my loudest) and I put them on %45 to burn them in.

I think my ears are too good maybe and I notice the slightest imbalance?
And... You never pulled off the pads?!?!?! Dude! you have so much headphones and yet haven't pulled em off from your M50's to see whats inside lol.

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #666 of 1,431
If it's only on that one song, that's called mixing... Producers do that to give every instrument its own space within a song. Some channels are mixed in such a way that they can be clearly heard in one side but in the other the producer may allow another channel to overtake it so that you can also hear it. It helps build and alleviate tension and can spur emotion.

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #668 of 1,431
Well, does anyone know a very good flac song that I can download for free somewhere? I intend to make it mono and listen and see If I can hear every instrument. Also, I don't think the guitar would be focused on 1 side only because all of the rest are balanced out to both left and right.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #672 of 1,431
I'm using M50's with my Cowon F2. I'm loving the sound with flac files so far. I'm willing to get a step ahead and buy an E7 to use as a DAC connected to my pc. I'm seeking for a short comment about the M50 + E7 couple.. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #673 of 1,431

Alright guys!! Remember me saying this?!?
Quote:
Hey, I did around 12 hours of burn in on my ATH-M50's already, and noticed that the right can is a tad bit less crisp? Any Ideas? Is this normal? And the mid range seems to be a tad less more receded.
Is it because no drivers are perfectly alike and give slightly different sound signatures? thanks.
Also, when you take off the pads, do you see a sticker that has 4 numbers on the plastic that is over the drivers?
Thanks.

Well, It turns out that the drivers needed some more burn in. After a little bit more burn in, the M50's almost completely balanced out on both sides!!! =]
It seems that the frequency responses were different ever so slightly on one of the drivers than on the other at first, so this is why burn in is necessary to remove all imbalance and give the headphones the intended frequency response that they are supposed to give!

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #674 of 1,431

Glad you're loving yours. I love mine too! 

I believe the headband and pads are made from pleather, so definitely not real leather. 

I don't do anything to condition them, but someone mentioned wiping down the pads after every use. The sweat and oils from your skin cause the pads to crack and harden. I've only been using mine for about 2-3 weeks and parts of the pad are already hardening. =(

Quote:
Just hopped on the M50 bandwagon and I'm loving it :)

What are the head band and pad made out of? I'm guessing that it's not real leather. What do you guys use to condition them?

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #675 of 1,431
Same here. I remember they were a lot softer when I first got them =\

Quote:
Glad you're loving yours. I love mine too! 

I believe the headband and pads are made from pleather, so definitely not real leather. 

I don't do anything to condition them, but someone mentioned wiping down the pads after every use. The sweat and oils from your skin cause the pads to crack and harden. I've only been using mine for about 2-3 weeks and parts of the pad are already hardening. =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back