The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Feb 20, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #646 of 1,431
The only person who can know for sure is you when you try them out. I think there isn't enough bass. Tons and tons of others think there is the perfect amount. Try them out because most people really do love them, if you don't like them then just sell them on head-fi or something, it's quite easy since they are in such high demand.

Quote:
how is the m50 with hip hop and rnb? i like a lot of base, but i don't want to sacrifice mids and highs either

DJ1 = HFI-580 correct? Just a different look...

Quote:
DJ1 is better than the M50 in terms of bass and mid tho...
but loses in soundstage, treble, detail and comfort...

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #647 of 1,431
Any pointers on dealing with the incredibly long cable? I fashioned a couple of velcro ties but I was wondering what others were doing with the straight cable. I probably only need 4 feet of cable and then an extension when I'm not able to move my source. Any thoughts on shortening the cable?

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #648 of 1,431
I know that with headphones, different strokes for different folks, right?

I just bought my M50's on Friday and have only managed to put about 30 minutes of listening time in yet.  Mostly because I find the incredible pressure and closed nature of the headphones suffocating. Not painful, just suffocating.    The sounds that come out of the headphone are great, I think joker's reviews are spot-on...he did an excellent job of describing what to expect.

Maybe I'm just unaccustomed or too sensitive, but I just can't see myself wearing these things for more than 30-45 minutes at a time.  I am very used to open-air headphones like the DT880 and PX100 that I can wear for hours on end. 

I'll continue to run pink noise through them and stretch them out and try my best to acclimate, but I'm somewhat disappointed in the comfort. No headphone is good enough to make me put up with discomfort.  If I can't make these work for me, I think my next purchase will be an open headphone with a similarly commanding bass presence...if such a thing exists.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #649 of 1,431

Quote:
I know that with headphones, different strokes for different folks, right?

I just bought my M50's on Friday and have only managed to put about 30 minutes of listening time in yet.  Mostly because I find the incredible pressure and closed nature of the headphones suffocating. Not painful, just suffocating.    The sounds that come out of the headphone are great, I think joker's reviews are spot-on...he did an excellent job of describing what to expect.

Maybe I'm just unaccustomed or too sensitive, but I just can't see myself wearing these things for more than 30-45 minutes at a time.  I am very used to open-air headphones like the DT880 and PX100 that I can wear for hours on end. 

I'll continue to run pink noise through them and stretch them out and try my best to acclimate, but I'm somewhat disappointed in the comfort. No headphone is good enough to make me put up with discomfort.  If I can't make these work for me, I think my next purchase will be an open headphone with a similarly commanding bass presence...if such a thing exists.

Try putting them on a tissue box or something to make them a little looser, I did that with mine and after about a day it was perfect! though I'm still having trouble keeping them on for a long time as I find my ears get wayy to hot.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #650 of 1,431
Feb 22, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #651 of 1,431
Has anyone experienced an issue where the left driver is ever so slightly louder than the right driver of the ATH-M50S?

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #652 of 1,431
^Are you sure it isn't you or the source? Try "switching ears" (left HP on right ear and vv) and connecting to different source

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #654 of 1,431
Is amping needed???

I'm sitting here at my desk, these bad boys plugged into my iPhone 4 and the sound is just wonderful, I'm still getting blown away by the sound when listening to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco. However, when I plug these into my 80gb iPod I can clearly hear the difference. It sounds like I'm not hearing what I should be, like the music is getting held back. Almost like listening to a trans-coded mp3 or a low bit-rate mp3. I've been thinking about getting a portable Fiio amp for the iPod, and even though that probably won't happen, I'd like to hear what you guys think. Did you get an amp? Can you hear the difference between portable devices with higher power sources? Is the iPhone better or worse than your current computer soundcard? (I think mine is / could be).

PS: After about 5 months of daily use my padding has become worn down and cracked. This sux :*(

Thanks

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #655 of 1,431

Quote:
Is amping needed???

NO.  Not 'needed' but preferred IMO.

I'm sitting here at my desk, these bad boys plugged into my iPhone 4 and the sound is just wonderful, I'm still getting blown away by the sound when listening to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco. However, when I plug these into my 80gb iPod I can clearly hear the difference. It sounds like I'm not hearing what I should be, like the music is getting held back. Almost like listening to a trans-coded mp3 or a low bit-rate mp3. I've been thinking about getting a portable Fiio amp for the iPod, and even though that probably won't happen, I'd like to hear what you guys think. Did you get an amp?

Can you hear the difference between portable devices with higher power sources? 

YES.

PS: After about 5 months of daily use my padding has become worn down and cracked. This sux :*(

Wipe them down after use.  Its the salt and oils on your skin.

Thanks

Welcome.

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #657 of 1,431
I have no doubt it can get loud easily, but there is being loud and music coming alive that had listened to even at moderate volume. My Rotel and B&W comes alive when I crank up the volume, but higher model can do at lower volume...

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #658 of 1,431

Quote:
^Are you sure it isn't you or the source? Try "switching ears" (left HP on right ear and vv) and connecting to different source

I never said it was me or I had a problem like that...
Its just my left ear is hard of hearing, so I gotta make sure this is a minimal problem with the headphones before I buy a set. =]
But even though I'm hard of hearing on my left ear, I can feel my ear vibrating slow and fast and its actually quite awesome! My right is perfect, though I don't feel how fast it is vibrating lol

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #659 of 1,431
I don't think that's right. If you look around in that thread you see many people saying 580/DJ1 or 580(DJ1) which means that both are seen as the same, just with different looks. I can almost guarantee the DJ1 is the same as the 580. However, the DJ1 PRO is NOT the same, only the DJ1.
Here, read the description of the product on this website, it quotes "Ultrasone DJ1 Closed Cans(Like HFI580 w/coiled cord)-COMING SOON $189.99 Same great closed headphone as the HFI-580, only with a "Coiled" cord!"
http://goodcans.com/HeadphoneStore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=141

Quote:
No, can't be. According to what Dougeefresh wrote here (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531691/review-ath-m50-vs-hfi-580-vs-sr-80), the HFI-580 has better mids, a more defined bass and a bigger soundstage compared to the M50s.

While DJ1 is said to be worser in this areas.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #660 of 1,431

Quote:

thanks for the response. I think the iPod classic does affect sound a bit still but I found a problem I was having was the EQ on the iPod was set to Bass Booster and iPhone was Flat. Set the EQ to Flat for iPod as well and it sounds much much better. I'm getting new earpads for my headphones. The Shure 840 pads seemed like a recommended replacement from users all around head-fi. Gonna post later about the sound, comfort later, but I will definitely start wiping those ones down too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back