The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Feb 13, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #588 of 1,431
so, after trolling the forums for a few weeks now, i decided to join head-fi and order the M50. these headphones seem to fit the type of music i listen to most often. should get it by the middle of the week. can't wait!

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #590 of 1,431
Anyone here who doesn't live in the US ordered these headphones from Scitscat.com? I'm trying to figure out if their free shipping also applies to international orders but the site is giving me mixed signals.

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #591 of 1,431
Yes, we had people buy from Scitscat.com and from what I read, they are pretty legit. Also, they are on the Audio Technica dealers list. So I'm assuming what they have is all legit stuff.
THOUGH, If you want a straight cable version, Idk if they have it because when you type in M50S, the "SKU"  says "AUD-TEC-ATH-M50SAT-ATHm50-Coiled" and I get confused.

If you can contact them before ordering from them to clarify if it is in fact the straight cable version and report back to these forums, it would greatly be appreciated.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #592 of 1,431

Quote:
Not sure, but S is straight, and ATHm50  are coiled.

We're constantly working on the web and this seems like something that will need fixing.
thank you

Best Regards,

Scitscat Music
9190 Sunset Drive
Miami, FL 33173
Toll Free:   877 Scit Scat
Voice:       305-595-3002 
Fax:         305-273-5506 
Web:     http://www.scitscat.com
----- Original Message -----
To: "Scitscat" <scitscat@comcast.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:21:44 AM
Subject: Re: Audio Technica ATH-M50S Professional Headphones StraightprodID=4793

Why does the sku on the product page says it's coiled?

Sent from my iPod

Quote:
Yes, we had people buy from Scitscat.com and from what I read, they are pretty legit. Also, they are on the Audio Technica dealers list. So I'm assuming what they have is all legit stuff.
THOUGH, If you want a straight cable version, Idk if they have it because when you type in M50S, the "SKU"  says "AUD-TEC-ATH-M50SAT-ATHm50-Coiled" and I get confused.

If you can contact them before ordering from them to clarify if it is in fact the straight cable version and report back to these forums, it would greatly be appreciated.

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #593 of 1,431
ScitScat is legit... They sell on eBay also... have both the coiled and straight cable version. I ordered in the evening and they shipped before noon the next day.... free UPS ground. Give 'em a call.

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #595 of 1,431
I ordered via eBay and got all the automated responses... order received, order shipped with tracking number, etc. Was a very good transaction.

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #596 of 1,431
Their website has been corrected.... go to "Categories"... "Monitoring"... "Headphones" and both the straight and coiled are there.

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #597 of 1,431

Quote:
Ordered from Scitscat days ago and I'm wondering how long it usually takes for them to ship because, from what I can tell, they've not shipped my order out yet

Like Blueiz, they were really fast with eBay orders, which was how I bought mine through ScitScat. Minutes after I paid, they gave me a tracking number. I received my order in 5 days, mainly because it was somewhat close to the weekend. They ship from Miami, so it probably won't take too long to reach you in NC. It would've taken 3 days to reach me in DC without the weekend interference.

Edit: Just realized you asked how long it takes them to ship. Guess I went a little astray. Oops! Hopefully they'll ship your order out soon. =)

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #598 of 1,431

Quote:
Anyone here who doesn't live in the US ordered these headphones from Scitscat.com? I'm trying to figure out if their free shipping also applies to international orders but the site is giving me mixed signals.

i'm womdering this as well.  I put in my postal code (i'm from toronto, canada) to get an estimate and it still shows up as free shipping, which i somehow doubt is true.  Wondering about brokerage fees too.. any Canadians have more info?

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #599 of 1,431
Thanks! At least now I know what to expect after I receive my shipment email =)

Quote:

Like Blueiz, they were really fast with eBay orders, which was how I bought mine through ScitScat. Minutes after I paid, they gave me a tracking number. I received my order in 5 days, mainly because it was somewhat close to the weekend. They ship from Miami, so it probably won't take too long to reach you in NC. It would've taken 3 days to reach me in DC without the weekend interference.

Edit: Just realized you asked how long it takes them to ship. Guess I went a little astray. Oops! Hopefully they'll ship your order out soon. =)

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #600 of 1,431
So not to take any current conversations off track, but I have a question for fellow M50 owners.

I've had my ATH-M50s for over a year now (I think).  They've completely made obsolete $400+ of IEMs as now I can't listen to any of my IEMs because they don't sound as great as my M50s (JVC FX500, Ety ER-4P, ER6, UE Super.fi 5 Pro) as well as being my first high end pair of headphones.  Not sure if the form factor has something to do with it, but I was always told that the best sound quality for your money is found in IEMs.

So I'm a metal-head.  For a reference I'm now addicted to Swallow the Sun, Dark Tranquility, and As I lay Dying.  No headphone has ever rendered my chosen genre as well to my ears.  I couldn't really figure out what made the M50s so much better to me, but I think it is the neutrality, the much more balanced mids than what I'm used to, and the lack of the clinical sound that the Ety's are famous for.  They also have just enough bass for my taste for Metal, which the Ety's really lacked for me, but aren't necessarily as bass heavy as some make it out to be, at least in my opinion.  I blame this on the FX500s for their amazing quantity and quality of bass. 

The FX500s have forced a new genre on to me, dubstep, which they dominate over the M50s in.  Which finally brings to me to my actual point.  I find that the M50s aren't quite as tight in the bass department as I would like, and don't really extend as deep as I would like.  I'm going to be honest with you, I know just enough to know that it could be a lot of things.  I'm not sure if the M50s really don't go nearly as deep and aren't quite so tight in the bass department as my FX500s, if its my source which is the stock realtek audio on my P55 motherboard, and/or if its a lack of amplification.  I'm wondering if its the ladder because I tend to listen to music at 100% volume, which is plenty loud yet it doesn't quite hurt my ears (obviously).  The onboard sound quality on this motherboard does blow away anything I've ever plugged a headphone/IEM into including Cowon players, but that might not mean much.

Any suggestions or opinions on the matter?  If it is the M50s, any suggestions for similar sounding cans that might satisfy my needs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back