The Audio Technica collectors thread
May 16, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #108 of 171
Quote:
Hi AT people 
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm quite a newbie in the headphone world, but this far I managed to gather some good cans. Been havin plenty of joy with Beyer DT880 250 Ohms and Denon D7000. I have a few iems too, Westone 4, UE TF10, ER4S... but I decided I'm a full sized kind of head-fier 
dt880smile.png

Never heard an Audio Technica though 
frown.gif

So, as I'm getting new amps (an already ordered DNA Stratus and some solid state I'm still choosing), I wanna get also a AT can... I want one that can sumarize Audio Technica sound, if such exists and I think it does... I'm thinking of a woodie, but I can't make up my mind. I been thinking of W5000... maybe a W3000. Or should I go open? Sound leaking is not an issue... and I love AD2000 looks... 
rolleyes.gif
 Please help me choose!

Thanks in advance! 
smile.gif

DNA Stratus ... not one of the worst amps around isn't it. :wink:
If you want an SS at those (new) prices I might be able to help you but at used prices ofc. (via PM only).

My opinion and effort to help on top of MF's advice who knows a lot more on this subject than I do would be:
Open AD2000 ... better in some ways than a HD800, worse in others. Typical AT sound if that exists but not the AT I would choose.
W5000 ... nice phone but bested easily by your D7000 and some J$ or Lawton pads.
W3000ANV ... what you want, the most typical AT sound, that, again, doesn't really exist, they have some similar traits but all are different in too many ways and all have their own exquisite qualities.

This is a general recommendation. It would help me a lot of I knew what kind(s) of music you listen to so i can be more precise. And even more blunt, I like to give my opinion(s) brief and unsalted though without harming any manufacturers. If possible and they didn't do too bad a job.  :wink:

Quote:

Nah I mean in general. I'm wondering which of AT's higher end headphones would be considered darkest. I would probably think that the Pro700MK2ANV I have is the darkest, followed by the ES10, but they aren't exactly from the same tier as the W series. 

As MF says, none can be considered dark, of the woodies I mean.
I never heard the Pro700 but heard fro uelover it's simply a bass monster and has nothing in common with the AT woodies.
ES10: if you like rock of the harder varieties, this is the portable to get, bar none. For all other genres, the portable to get would be either the ESW9 or ESW10JPN which have very little differences, probably mostly brain-caused differences due to the difference in price.

May 16, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #109 of 171
Quote:
Any advice please. or step by step guide how to replace, solder off and cut shorter the ATG-W3000 ANV cable from 3 m to 48 inch, many thanks.

You will need a solder iron and soldering stuff, plug of your choice, and heatshrink that is a little bigger than the size of the cable.  There are guides here on building cables to give you ideas on what you need to do and videos on youtube on how to solder, maintain your solder iron, etc.

1. Snip off the cable to the desired length.

2. Strip away the outer jacket by about an inch.

3. Strip the individual conductors down to the bare copper.  Be very careful.

4. Tin each conductor.

5. Add heatshrink to serve as strain relief.

6. Add the new connector's casing!  Sometimes, one may solder on the plug and forget the casing.  Then you will be unhappy, lol.

7.  Now you solder on the new plug.  Assemble the connector.

8. Test it.

May 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #111 of 171
Quote:
DNA Stratus ... not one of the worst amps around isn't it. :wink:
If you want an SS at those (new) prices I might be able to help you but at used prices ofc. (via PM only).

My opinion and effort to help on top of MF's advice who knows a lot more on this subject than I do would be:
Open AD2000 ... better in some ways than a HD800, worse in others. Typical AT sound if that exists but not the AT I would choose.
W5000 ... nice phone but bested easily by your D7000 and some J$ or Lawton pads.
W3000ANV ... what you want, the most typical AT sound, that, again, doesn't really exist, they have some similar traits but all are different in too many ways and all have their own exquisite qualities.

This is a general recommendation. It would help me a lot of I knew what kind(s) of music you listen to so i can be more precise. And even more blunt, I like to give my opinion(s) brief and unsalted though without harming any manufacturers. If possible and they didn't do too bad a job.  :wink:

I listen mostly to classic rock, jazz, blues and classical. No EDM, rap etc.
normal_smile .gif

My current amp/dac is a Nuforce Icon HDP, so besides the SS amp I want to buy a nicer DAC... Something like W4S DAC2... there will be not much money left for the amp, if any 
frown.gif
, as I'm making some other expensive purchases (just bought a Stax set from Woo 
happy_face1.gif
) so I'm thinking of maybe a Burson (only amp), or an Auditor... anything about that price range, I really don't know yet. Burson seems like more versatile with hi/low Z outs... 

Thanks for your suggestions... 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #112 of 171
What's classic rock, Elvis or Rainbow? (to put it simple) Rainbow is L3000. Elviis is W3000.

Jazz (if not too heavy and abstract, which my mind can't figure out) and blues: W3000 though the L3000 might do well on blues as well.

Classical: if you want an at woodie the W5000 won't be bad but if you want a better AT the A2000X will be much better. If youy want better alltogether a D7000 with angled pads (if you want closed) or a HD800 will top those. Notice I am not talking about stats here as I don't like them as much as dynamics.

Wanna put more money into a Dac than an amp? Your choice of course. The most difference you will hear is from sdpeakers/phones, then amps and then sources. After that it's casbles and accessories.
Do yourself a favor and get a TEAC UD-H01, you won't regret it. Spend the extra cash on an amp.
If AT's (and to a lesser degree Denons) is what you are going to be using then don't get an Auditopr/Phonitor, I would recommend these amps with all my heart to people with less sensitive cans but you will have hum with the phones you mention.
I don't know the Burson.
For the kind of phones you mention, you want quality, not quantity. Quantity is what is going to give you hum.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes but it's 3 AM here and my reading glasses don't work with the computer as the screen is too far away from my eyes.

May 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #113 of 171
I just got mine from Beach - no problems, ordered yesterday and didn't expect them to ship until today but they got them out and in my hands today. They say Japan on the side, I don't see anything about made in China, and I'm sure they are the real thing.

May 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #114 of 171
Quote:
I just got mine from Beach - no problems, ordered yesterday and didn't expect them to ship until today but they got them out and in my hands today. They say Japan on the side, I don't see anything about made in China, and I'm sure they are the real thing.

I ordered my W5000 from Beaxha na d no problem either, and believe me, I checked all I could all over the web. Don't know how these guys do it but they have a legit business and can get the best prices.

May 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #115 of 171
Quote:
Or find a reputable dealer with in-house technicians who can do the job for you. Throw away the headphone part of the vable and keep the plug part though, way too nice looking.

One should avoid "Audio Classics, Ltd.", they suck bollocks.

Also, I wouldn't want to throw the headphone portion away.  You don't go buying such a nice headphone just to get its plug and throw the rest away. 
atsmile.gif

May 17, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #116 of 171
I ordered my W5000 from Beaxha na d no problem either, and believe me, I checked all I could all over the web. Don't know how these guys do it but they have a legit business and can get the best prices.

Thanks for reply, i browse around the web, seems like beach camera has the lowest price for w5000 and w3000anv, hence i ask here, thinking it might be fraud or something, and the email reply i got from says made in china, but judge from you guys response beach camera seems like a legit vendor, so now my problem is only choosing which headphone.:D

May 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #117 of 171
Quote:
What's classic rock, Elvis or Rainbow? (to put it simple) Rainbow is L3000. Elviis is W3000.

Jazz (if not too heavy and abstract, which my mind can't figure out) and blues: W3000 though the L3000 might do well on blues as well.

Classical: if you want an at woodie the W5000 won't be bad but if you want a better AT the A2000X will be much better. If youy want better alltogether a D7000 with angled pads (if you want closed) or a HD800 will top those. Notice I am not talking about stats here as I don't like them as much as dynamics.

Wanna put more money into a Dac than an amp? Your choice of course. The most difference you will hear is from sdpeakers/phones, then amps and then sources. After that it's casbles and accessories.
Do yourself a favor and get a TEAC UD-H01, you won't regret it. Spend the extra cash on an amp.
If AT's (and to a lesser degree Denons) is what you are going to be using then don't get an Auditopr/Phonitor, I would recommend these amps with all my heart to people with less sensitive cans but you will have hum with the phones you mention.
I don't know the Burson.
For the kind of phones you mention, you want quality, not quantity. Quantity is what is going to give you hum.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes but it's 3 AM here and my reading glasses don't work with the computer as the screen is too far away from my eyes.

Sorry, I should have said 70's classic rock. So, Rainbow. 

I was many times told the source is of great importance, that's why I was going for W4S DAC2, Anedio D2, Lavry DA11... This Teac you pointed out seems nice, although I'm not sure it's a great upgrade on HDP... is it? I don't know.

Actually, besides the cans I already have I will be using HD800, LCD-2, T1 and maybe HE-500... yeah, I'm crazy buying so many expensive headphones but I'm really loving this hobby 
bigsmile_face.gif
 (it's my first hobby, really) and although I'm far from having unlimited funds, money is not a problem 
beerchug.gif
. I don't have anyone to give me these gifts so I do it myself 
bigsmile_face.gif

I would love to know what SS amps you'd think would be a improvement over those I mentioned... although I think this is a bit off topic, sorry folks 
wink.gif

Thanks again, I appreciate your (and anyone's) help!

May 17, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #118 of 171
Quote:

You will need a solder iron and soldering stuff, plug of your choice, and heatshrink that is a little bigger than the size of the cable.  There are guides here on building cables to give you ideas on what you need to do and videos on youtube on how to solder, maintain your solder iron, etc.

1. Snip off the cable to the desired length.

2. Strip away the outer jacket by about an inch.

3. Strip the individual conductors down to the bare copper.  Be very careful.

4. Tin each conductor.

5. Add heatshrink to serve as strain relief.

6. Add the new connector's casing!  Sometimes, one may solder on the plug and forget the casing.  Then you will be unhappy, lol.

7.  Now you solder on the new plug.  Assemble the connector.

8. Test it.

Thank you for your advise, but shoud i snip off the cabe of my desired length and use the same one and the same plug, or use a differnt cabel and diffrent part.I would like to do it myself but i don't have a sodering gun, so i guess i have to go and find an authorized dealer in London, wich is hard to find to do it for me.

May 17, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #119 of 171
You can use a different cable if you want, you can reuse the stock plug.  Whatever you want.
I would offer to do it for you, but you are too far away.  Perhaps a DIY'er here might be willing to help you out if you post an ad requesting retermination of your headphone in the For Sale forum.  Make sure he has plenty of feedback and is in the UK as well, lol.

May 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #120 of 171
Quote:

Sorry, I should have said 70's classic rock. So, Rainbow. 

I was many times told the source is of great importance, that's why I was going for W4S DAC2, Anedio D2, Lavry DA11... This Teac you pointed out seems nice, although I'm not sure it's a great upgrade on HDP... is it? I don't know.

Actually, besides the cans I already have I will be using HD800, LCD-2, T1 and maybe HE-500... yeah, I'm crazy buying so many expensive headphones but I'm really loving this hobby 
bigsmile_face.gif
 (it's my first hobby, really) and although I'm far from having unlimited funds, money is not a problem 
beerchug.gif
. I don't have anyone to give me these gifts so I do it myself 
bigsmile_face.gif

I would love to know what SS amps you'd think would be a improvement over those I mentioned... although I think this is a bit off topic, sorry folks 
wink.gif

Thanks again, I appreciate your (and anyone's) help!

Big 70ies hardrock fan myself.  :)

The TEAC won't be a big upgrade I think, only difference is that on USB it's async and has 192/24.

Still, I would go for the amp first and a nice dac later. 1000$ ones should perform well enough.

Some recommendations, or disrecommendations.

Phonitor: nice amp but known not to be silent with AT's, good for the other cans though, I had one but it didn't beat my Luxman.

Sugden Headmaster: auditioned that one for an afternoon with HD800, W5000 and Grado
PS1000/GS1000i and found nothing special about the amp, certainly not at that price.

PS Audio GCHA: owned it, enough power but dull sound with not much soundstage

Beta 22: never heard one but known to be a fabulous amp. It's powerfull so you would need to check with someone who has the amp and see if it's hum-free with ATs. There are many variations though and it's DIY. There are some vendors that do the DIY for you.

Luxman P-1u: one of the best commercial SS amps available as I was informed before I bought it. Have to agree after having owned it for two years but now it's for sale since I am going tube-amps only. (Zana and HP4) and will add a vintage receiver to my setup, for speakers mainly.

Headamp GSX: as far as I have been informed in the same class as the P-1u and Beta. Never heard it though.

Hope this helps you a bit further in your search. My advice: if you can afford it go for the top items only like you did with your 2A3. Then buy some cans from time to time and sell some off since those will make the most difference regarding the sound. Also, you will be sure they are amped as good as possible then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back