The Audio Technica collectors thread
Mar 26, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #63 of 171
The A700 was my first good can. I bought the T1 and HE-6 after, but I still came back to AT and collected the W1000X and W3000ANV. I think I'll try to acquire more of the woodies. Thinking about a AD700 or 900 for gaming.

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #64 of 171
I've stuck with the closed cans so far, ATH-A900 > ATH-W1000X > ATH-W3000ANV (incoming).  Though I've hear the ATH-AD700, ATH-AD900, and several of the limited woodies as well.  I enjoy how comfortable the AT's are when wearing them and their sound of course. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #66 of 171
Some changes made to the first page (post 3), hard to find prices for the woodies with thanks to filuS.
Going to do some more work on this in a few weeks when things are a bit less crazy over here.

Edit: Please feel free to send me a photo of your ATs that are in the 4 lists on the first page. I am looking for real pics from headfiers, no stock pictures.
I will only include one picture per phone or amp though, so any other pictures people might want to share can be posted in this thread.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #67 of 171
A2000X, the least AT like AT I have heard. But... the sound is so likeable. Think HD800 without the piecing treble.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #68 of 171

Quote:
A2000X, the least AT like AT I have heard. But... the sound is so likeable. Think HD800 without the piecing treble.

Yep, heard something similar in the W3000 thread as well, I tink I'll definitely need one.

May I ask which AT you would recommend for classical music and which one for movies?

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #69 of 171
W5000 is absolutely beautiful with piano and strings, especially on when the high notes hits. W5000 have the wide sound stage and positioning for movies, fare far better than the bass light AD1000PRM but still far from ideal. A bassy AT like W1000X might be a better choice, however I only heard it with music only.

Some shameless plug on my own impression: http://www.head-fi.org/t/548986/

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #70 of 171

Quote:
W5000 is absolutely beautiful with piano and strings, especially on when the high notes hits. W5000 have the wide sound stage and positioning for movies, fare far better than the bass light AD1000PRM but still far from ideal. A bassy AT like W1000X might be a better choice, however I only heard it with music only.
Some shameless plug on my own impression: http://www.head-fi.org/t/548986/

I actually like your review style.  :wink:
Straight to the point, no BS and a description of the sound that does make sense to me. Beats those long lists of music auditioned.  :)

Since I have both these phones right here I will try this out in the weekend.
I was thinking you were going to say the A2000X for classical though, since your compariosn with the HD800.  
How do soundstages compare between the HD800, AD2000, A2000X and W5000?
Especially for classical I find soundstage to be an important part of the experience.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #71 of 171
There is no doubt that HD800 have the largest soundstage out of all of them. However, still don't have the sense of "air" that the AD series really shines. AD2000 have a rather condensed soundstage, if you are going for large scale classical only, I don't think it will be that good. A2000X the most airy sound I have ever heard on any closed back and decently sized, not massive nor small. W5000 have a spacious sound wider than both AD2k and A2kX but lack the sense of air those two have, maybe due to the wood shell. But, it is also far more relax than any other phones on that list.

IMO, W5000/A2000X >>>>>> AD2000 for classical. I can't stand HD800 myself but it is certainly better than AD2000 for classical, the AD2k is just not designed for listeners with a amount of large scale classical, small scale acoustics like jazz is rather captivating on the AD2000 though.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #72 of 171
Will be fun to try them all out I see.
I'm not 100% ok with the HD800 sound as well, though I don't hate it either.
It hasn't come much out of the box lately though.
The biggest problem I have with it are those really big ear-shells, feels kindof weird.

Mar 29, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #73 of 171
Ra97oR: Would you mind elaborating a little bit more on the A2000x? Especially vs the AD2000. I've been curious about them for a while but information doesn't exactly abound.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #74 of 171
This might not be exactly on topic question, but does any of you know of some good looking stand for clip-on headphones? I dont want my ATH-EW9 to just lie around on table and risking getting them scratched, but I cant find anything I could use to hang them on safely. It would be nice if it was styled close to wooden/acrylic AT stand since I have two of those (well, not per se but its exact portuguese copy from Zoppa Pro). Besides that I hate having mess in my electronic department and such stand would certainly help me to keep my audio corner clean and nice looking.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #75 of 171

Quote:
This might not be exactly on topic question, but does any of you know of some good looking stand for clip-on headphones? I dont want my ATH-EW9 to just lie around on table and risking getting them scratched, but I cant find anything I could use to hang them on safely. It would be nice if it was styled close to wooden/acrylic AT stand since I have two of those (well, not per se but its exact portuguese copy from Zoppa Pro). Besides that I hate having mess in my electronic department and such stand would certainly help me to keep my audio corner clean and nice looking.

I must say I never heard of such a stand before and I'd be surprised if it exists.
One Idea might be if you know a woodworker that could sculpt a small wooden head with ears so you can clip them on to those? Silly, I know, but it's about the only thing I can come up with.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back