The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Aug 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2,401 of 7,138
Quote:
I made a very good friend who owns an LCD-3.
Kojaku

So do you hear it like this...more or less...?

LCD-3 Pads LCD-2 Pads
Treble Unrecessed.  Treble presence is greater, but still retains the Audez'e signature (dark and velvety), and maintains smooth treble response free of peaks/valleys. Recessed.
Midrange More engaging, a better midrange in tone and presence than my HD800's now. Very even.
Bass Tighter due to better seal, less bloated. Comparatively bloated; bleeding into other frequencies; not tight enough.
Soundstage Treble presence (air) gives the impression of a larger soundstage.   A slightly smaller stage, the overall sound lacks air.
Imaging Treble presence (air) gives better imaging.  Better depth and sophistication to the imaging - like hazier background details when they're supposed to be in the background, or forward when they're supposed to be All details, whether background or foreground, are in the foreground, very close together, and crisply rendered.  
Audio Engineer He said the LCD-3 pads are slightly brighter, bass is tighter.  Preferred the LCD-3 pads. Thought the stock pads had "wooly" bass.
Us I preferred this phone.  Mullet (the other head-fi member) preferred this phone on some of the tracks we played. I thought this particular pair of LCD-2s was really good -- but I wouldn't go back to a stock pair again.  

To expand on the imaging comment, when I tried the HE-500s I thought it was a great phone, except for the hump in the bass and the fact that it had no depth or three dimensionality to the imaging/stage whatsoever.  All details whether they were supposed to be barely audible in the background or a vocalist right up against a mike, were right up in the foreground.  I liked the sophistication of depth and width the LCD-2 offered in comparison to this.  I liked the depth, width and height of the HD800 even more.  After the LCD-3 pads, I'm starting to hear the stock pads like I did the HE-500.

A note, whenever you have to talk about differences, you inevitably make two phones seem more different than they probably are.  Remember that this is the exact same headphone, but with two different sets of pads.  The observations in this post, and pretty much every post I post, are subtle.

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #2,403 of 7,138
Quote:

Quote:

LCD-3 Pads LCD-2 Pads
Treble Unrecessed.  Treble presence is greater, but still retains the Audez'e signature (dark and velvety), and maintains smooth treble response free of peaks/valleys. Recessed.
Midrange More engaging, a better midrange in tone and presence than my HD800's now. Very even.
Bass Tighter due to better seal, less bloated. Comparatively bloated; bleeding into other frequencies; not tight enough.
Soundstage Treble presence (air) gives the impression of a larger soundstage.   A slightly smaller stage, the overall sound lacks air.
Imaging Treble presence (air) gives better imaging.  Better depth and sophistication to the imaging - like hazier background details when they're supposed to be in the background, or forward when they're supposed to be (is this a good thing or bad thing?) All details, whether background or foreground, are in the foreground, very close together, and crisply rendered.  (is this a good thing or a bad thing?)
Audio Engineer He said the LCD-3 pads are slightly brighter, bass is tighter.  Preferred the LCD-3 pads. Thought the stock pads had "wooly" bass.
Us I preferred this phone.  Mullet (the other head-fi member) preferred this phone on some of the tracks we played. I thought this particular pair of LCD-2s was really good -- but I wouldn't go back to a stock pair again.  

To expand on the imaging comment, when I tried the HE-500s I thought it was a great phone, except for the hump in the bass and the fact that it had no depth or three dimensionality to the imaging/stage whatsoever.  All details whether they were supposed to be barely audible in the background or a vocalist right up against a mike, were right up in the foreground.  I liked the sophistication of depth and width the LCD-2 offered in comparison to this.  I liked the depth, width and height of the HD800 even more.  After the LCD-3 pads, I'm starting to hear the stock pads like I did the HE-500.

A note, whenever you have to talk about differences, you inevitably make two phones seem more different than they probably are.  Remember that this is the exact same headphone, but with two different sets of pads.  The observations in this post, and pretty much every post I post, are subtle, just like everything in audio is subtle.

YMMV.  

I want to comment on this here, i have now been listening to my LCD 2.v2 through a Woo6 SE, now i could not work out if i should use the High or Low impedance, so i sat and listened now i can tell you that the High gives you more bass, how ever it is a little less bass but more controlled on the Low impedance and you can pick out the bass notes, where on the high it sounds bloated.
I would say reading all of those comments above is what i found to be true on the right hand side table when i used High impedance, but when i switched to using Low impedance my findings where for the left hand side.

Oh should all so say have a Q-cable on them now which has added a little more sizzle in the top end, and more air around the sounds.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #2,404 of 7,138
Quote:

More or less. The decrease in driver distance makes treble sizzle slightly more and the more adequate seal makes the bass and lower-mids a bit less boomy. A warning to rev 1 lovers out there, this pad swap isn't for you... Makes the mids slightly less lush, treble a bit airier, really not rev. 1 at all.

Kojaku

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2,405 of 7,138
More or less. The decrease in driver distance makes treble sizzle slightly more and the more adequate seal makes the bass and lower-mids a bit less boomy. A warning to rev 1 lovers out there, this pad swap isn't for you... Makes the mids slightly less lush, treble a bit airier, really not rev. 1 at all.

Kojaku

Hmm, I'm with you on the first sentence. But even with the unreleased treble, I think the midrange is lusher.

The way the LCD-3 has unrecessed treble but is still described as closer to the Rev. 1, I think the pads do the same to the Rev. 2.

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,406 of 7,138
Quote:
Hmm, I'm with you on the first sentence. But even with the unreleased treble, I think the midrange is lusher.
The way the LCD-3 has unrecessed treble but is still described as closer to the Rev. 1, I think the pads do the same to the Rev. 2.

Um, nope. Sorry, I wouldn't say that.

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2,407 of 7,138
Aug 5, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #2,408 of 7,138
Quote:

Kojaku

Really? I'd have thought that was exactly what Rev 1 needed. In fact it sounds like a description of rev 2. Or do you mean not for Rev 1 owners who don't want Rev 2?

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #2,409 of 7,138
Quote:

Really? I'd have thought that was exactly what Rev 1 needed. In fact it sounds like a description of rev 2. Or do you mean not for Rev 1 owners who don't want Rev 2?

Exactly. I meant not for Rev. 1  lovers.

Kojaku

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #2,411 of 7,138
Quote:

You wouldn't say what?  Considering how vague my post was, not sure what you're "um nope sorry" about?  

I believe he was referring to the "mids get lusher " concept...

Kojaku

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #2,413 of 7,138
Again, i'm inquiring about the durability of the bamboo wood against the rosewood ?! i'm going with the bamboo version, but IF they were equally durable i'd go with the rosewood version.  any clue ?

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #2,414 of 7,138
What's up with all these different revs. on the LCD-2? 

I'm seeing Rev. 3, Rev 2.5b, Rev. 2a  What does Audeze say about the Revs.

I know I have the Rev.2 with the silver connectors and my serial# is 53211048  -  So what Rev. do I have?  

Drum Roll Please....

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #2,415 of 7,138
Quote:
What's up with all these different revs. on the LCD-2? 

I'm seeing Rev. 3, Rev 2.5b, Rev. 2a  What does Audeze say about the Revs.

I know I have the Rev.2 with the silver connectors and my serial# is 53211048  -  So what Rev. do I have?  

Drum Roll Please....

It's stupid to confuse people. They didn't change the drivers so no revision. Just state whether it's a Rosewood or Bamboo Rev 2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back