The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jul 19, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #2,191 of 7,138
Quote:
What's the optimal Amp/DAC set up with the LCD-2?

Violectric V200(or V181 if using balanced)/V800 Dac combo is extremely good.

I don't recommend the Burson 160D, extremely rolled off treble ends that most people recommend.

Otherwise if your looking for higher-end setups such as the one I'm using. You can start off with 2 channel passive ground Beta22/Sigma PSU if you have DIY skills and able to read schematics. Move up to a balanced 4 board or active ground 3 channel Beta22 setup if you have more money (About $1.5-2.2k).

All the best.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #2,192 of 7,138
X2.  No kidding!  For those who are non-believers there is always Radio Shack.  Somewhere on the web I'm sure there's a how-to on braiding Radio Shack speaker wire to make a premium headphone cable!
Quote:
Why is it that in every dark corner of Head-Fi, there exists a cable argument? Geez this is like my first time in Summit-Fi too.

Cables are a way to fine-tune your final sound without playing musical chairs with your amp/source. Nothing I hate more than dealing with buying and reselling an expensive piece of gear that didn't meet expectations. Cables you can return a whole lot easier than a 5lb tube amp if you don't like 'em.

I can say that as a user since I use Moon Audio and Double Helix Cables.

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #2,193 of 7,138

Here is a Picture of My LCD 2's with the New Q Cables Red Silk Cable--Absolutely gorgeous in person-and It sounds Great!!

Steve is the Man!!

Jack

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #2,194 of 7,138
Anyone got any insight on how the O2/ODAC setup sounds outta these babies?

Kojaku

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #2,196 of 7,138
Quote:
Anyone got any insight on how the O2/ODAC setup sounds outta these babies?

Kojaku

As I and many others have noted the ODAC+O2 combo is the cheapest way to get the LCD-2's sounding close to their best.
Having said that though, I still prefer the DAC in my HK 990 CD player and the CLAS. As far as amps go only the LF 339 with TS 5998's or my vintage amps are better. However all of them are at least 2X the price (but not twice the performance).

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #2,198 of 7,138
That red does look nice.  And I like the bamboo look better than the Rosewood, which is too much of a hit and miss.  A few people get gorgeous ones, and the rest get stuck with nothing special.

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #2,200 of 7,138
I prefer the aesthetics of the rosewood over the bamboo, and enjoy how they sound from the 160D.  To each their own I suppose.  Haven't tried them with the V200, think I'm done buying for a while, unless i fall into some cash for a uerm:)

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #2,201 of 7,138
Two days ago, I saw an ad of someone selling used LCD-2 Rev.1. Yesterday, I just went ahead and bought them, so I'm now part of the club.
This is my set up right now : straight from the laptop -> Matrix M-Stage -> LCD-2. I'll probably buy Schiit Bitfrost - or something in this price range - by the end of the summer.

I might write a review if some are interested. I've a pair of Grado Sr225, Sennheiser HD650, Shure SE535 and there is also UE Triple-Fi 10, Shure SE535 red with baldur II cable, Shure SRH-940 avalaible at home so I can compare.

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #2,202 of 7,138
I think my LCD-2 rev-1's get the most head time in my home rig.  Get the ODAC and O2 amp combo and sell you M-stage (or keep it, I still have mine and use it regularly). The M-stage won't do justice to the LCD-2's and they deserve a better source than your laptop.
sorry for your wallet.
Quote:
Two days ago, I saw an ad of someone selling used LCD-2 Rev.1. Yesterday, I just went ahead and bought them, so I'm now part of the club.
This is my set up right now : straight from the laptop -> Matrix M-Stage -> LCD-2. I'll probably buy Schiit Bitfrost - or something in this price range - by the end of the summer.

I might write a review if some are interested. I've a pair of Grado Sr225, Sennheiser HD650, Shure SE535 and there is also UE Triple-Fi 10, Shure SE535 red with baldur II cable, Shure SRH-940 avalaible at home so I can compare.

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #2,203 of 7,138
Quote:
get the ODAC and O2 amp combo and sell you M-stage (or keep it, I still have mine and use it regularly). The M-stage won't do justice to the LCD-2's and they deserve a better source than your laptop.
sorry for your wallet.

Have you tried them both, I mean the O2 and M-Stage? The O2 is about 70% of the price of the M-Stage so it seems like a side step, at best. I may be wrong, though.
Anyway, I planned on selling my M-Stage and HD650 to buy the Schiit Bitfrost + Lyr. I might reconsider if someone have recommendations for similar performance, lower price.

And, don't be sorry for my wallet, headphone-fi is WAY cheaper than Speaker-fi. I was way more sorry when I decided to make a step in speakers. :p

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #2,204 of 7,138
I have tried both the M-stage and the O2 and ODAC and other more expensive gear. The M stage is a good value amp but is not appropriate for the LCD-2 in terms of voltage swing (power, not volume or gain). As other planar headphones the LCD-2 responds well to clean power, and the O2 throws out enough to wake up the LCD-2's, while the M-stage (mine is with class A mod) does not.
At the risk of sounding like a fanboy but in my experience, you will need to spend at least 3 to 4X in order to better the ODAC+O2 combo. There is also the aspect of synergy. While I do own better DAC's and amps that I prefer with the LCD-2 rev 1's, the completely neutral (if not a bit dry) signature of the ODAC+O2 fits well with the lush or as some have said "creamy" signature of the rev 1's 
Quote:
Have you tried them both, I mean the O2 and M-Stage? The O2 is about 70% of the price of the M-Stage so it seems like a side step, at best. I may be wrong, though.
Anyway, I planned on selling my M-Stage and HD650 to buy the Schiit Bitfrost + Lyr. I might reconsider if someone have recommendations for similar performance, lower price.

And, don't be sorry for my wallet, headphone-fi is WAY cheaper than Speaker-fi. I was way more sorry when I decided to make a step in speakers. :p

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #2,205 of 7,138
Not sure what was wrong with your M-Stage but it outputs 8Vrms to the O2's 6Vrms.  And the Matrix is a Lehmann clone so I think its fair to say you prefer the O2 sound signature but to say the M-Stage isn't usable is off.  Now that said, personally I think buying a $1000 headphone for a source and amp that are significantly less is silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back