The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jan 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #541 of 7,138
Jan 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #542 of 7,138
Quote:
And me. Loevhagen expresses it exactly.

Funny how that works, I remember awaiting my LCD-2 arrival in the mail. Hell I even left work early that day (which I've never done), only to be dissapointed. I literally had the -_____- face on. But I decided to give it some time and I wouldn't have ever guessed I'd love that headphone like a best friend. And the reason I say best friend is because it's one of those things you don't appreciate til it's gone. I'm lucky I have both
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #543 of 7,138

Quote:
Funny how that works, I remember awaiting my LCD-2 arrival in the mail. Hell I even left work early that day (which I've never done), only to be dissapointed. I literally had the -_____- face on. But I decided to give it some time and I wouldn't have ever guessed I'd love that headphone like a best friend. And the reason I say best friend is because it's one of those things you don't appreciate til it's gone. I'm lucky I have both
biggrin.gif

Looking at your sig your powering the LCD-2s without an amp :-O, I feel sorry for you ;_; (even though my amp ain't that great either :p )

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #545 of 7,138
Last time I checked, most if not all laptops don't contain any fairly passable audio parts. Though if he is happy than he is happy.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #547 of 7,138
Has anyone tried hooking up LCD-2s to their preamp-capable DAC's output?  I'm wondering how the LCD-2 will fare if I hooked it up directly to my Zodiac's XLR outs.  Or anyone know why it's inadvisable?

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #548 of 7,138
WA hooked the LCD-2 to his DAC...

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #550 of 7,138
Quote:
Looking at your sig your powering the LCD-2s without an amp :-O, I feel sorry for you ;_; (even though my amp ain't that great either :p )

Yeah I really sucks, but I can live with it for the time being while I decide which DAC and Amp to get 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Depends on the laptop, doesn't it - If krod3003 is happy, there is no reason to be sorry for him :)

I have a pretty decent laptop, but I doesn't compare to a good DAC and amp. And there is no reason to feel sorry, it will come all together in due time.

Quote:
Don't feel sorry just urge him to get a proper amp, which will probably change his perspective BIG TIME.
biggrin.gif

I used to have the SR-71b and that was so nice, but I sold it to fund a desktop amp. But sadly that money went to buying a coat for my girlfriend... oh the things we do for love
rolleyes.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #551 of 7,138
Quote:
Some people have hooked their LXR to their Da11. 
Hooking it up like that might not give it the juice it needs but it works.  

I thought it might be more juice.

Quote:
WA hooked the LCD-2 to his DAC...

I've read those impressions before somewhere.  They weren't all that positive.  It might be different on the Zodiac, who knows, only difference I can think of in the W4S's pre vs the Zodiac's pre is that the W4S's is all digital & the Zodiac's all analog.  

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #553 of 7,138
Sorry I wasn't clear.  I meant to say not enough power compared to a dedicated amp.  I was told that the HP jack may not be strong enough for the LCD-2 and the XLR would be stronger (like you said) but not much more as a dedicated amp would be better.  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I thought it might be more juice.

I've read those impressions before somewhere.  They weren't all that positive.  It might be different on the Zodiac, who knows, only difference I can think of in the W4S's pre vs the Zodiac's pre is that the W4S's is all digital & the Zodiac's all analog.  

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #554 of 7,138
so ya,i had more listening with the lcd2 today and compared it to jh13.
the lcd2 have fuller mids and a bit better timbre and more weighty bass.the jh13 has more air,better soundstage depth and more "sizzly" highs while the lcd2 is a bit more "sweet" and doesnt smack you in the face when the CD is sibilant.definatly more forgiving than the jh13.

i couldnt be happier have both of them.i prefer lcd2 for everything,but when listening to vocal trance,i prefer to hook my jh13 to the wa6 for the "airier" experiance instead of the bass experiance of the lcd2.

its no doubt a keeper.well done Audeze.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #555 of 7,138
Just thought I'd pop in to express my growing fondness for the LCD-2 rev. 1. Admittedly, I wasn't always a fan of these headphones. After troubles with the build quality and a persistent feeling that something was "off" due to the shelved treble, I ended up putting them away and moving on to other things.

I still loved my LCD-1 and thought Audez'e was capable of great things, and I considered trying the 2nd revision of the LCD-2, but in the end I decided to take the plunge and try the LCD-3. Not sure what happened, but the experience of the LCD-3 awakened in me a new-found love of the LCD-2. Going back and listening to the middle child all over again, I finally grasped its hitherto illusive appeal.

The LCD-2 rev. 1 is so laid back and pleasant to listen to, so smooth and amiable to just about anything I toss at it. I even find it heretically enjoyable when plugged straight into my MacBook's headphone jack sans amplification. Frustration has been replaced by a certain unease though: since Audez'e moved on to the second revision, I fear that should something happen to them I wouldn't be readily able to replace them. Thankfully there seem to be enough on the sales forum at any given time, but several years from now I wonder how easy it would be....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back