The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Oct 14, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #77 of 7,138

Quote:
True. Though the addons you use together cost more than a LCD-2 >.>, if only I wasn't a college student ;_; , I'm pretty curious about the Q-Audio cable even though the engineering side of me has its doubts.

Well the cables together run around 5 bills total but it's all synergy within the rig.   I am happy with the LCD-2's and how they sound in this particular rig.       Amarra was a gift so I can't really include it.   

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #78 of 7,138

Quote:
I'm using an M-Audio FireWire 410.  About 10 years old now.  Nothing special other than it works well as an "audio interface".

The EQ is fun to play with.  I'm finding that the amount of EQ that sounds right seems to vary with listening volume level.  With lower volume I want to boost the mids and treble more. At high volume I want to boost less.  So now I've got three shelf EQ presets.  One with a 1 dB boost, one with a 1.5 dB boost and one with a 2 dB boost.  Weird but not unexpected.

I need to investigate better amps (that I can afford) for the LCD2.  An amp that lets the treble come though and the headphones to open up better than what the Asgard does.  Then once the amp thing is figured out I can look at what a better source might do.  I'll be very happy if I find I don't need to EQ at all after getting the amp and source figured out.  For now I'm happy that the EQ is letting me be happy with the Asgard.

This issue of volume and tonal balance is perhaps one reason peoples interpretation of neutral is so skewed, probably a vast difference in volume used for referencing.  When I come across a track that I feel needs more top end, often I find it simpler to raise the volume for a tonal correction.

That is why using Movies are perfect.  Firstly, probably all the top sound engineers are bought by Hollywoods massive movie production budget, these guys are serious, and all audio is referenced with 20hz -20khz within very close tolerances.  Secondly, when I thought the HD650 was a tad too bassy in male voices (not fatally flawed IMO), my first inclination was to raise the volume...then I realised that raising the volume did not make sense in terms of a reality based reference point - as the characters now seemed like they spoke through a PA system, and yet on screen I saw no PA system, the volume had to be matched to a realistic conversing volume for the scene at hand for full immersion.  A good Academy award winner nearly always draw me into the movie, they tend to have well recorded sounds - the orchestral tracks driving the pace of the scenes are always phenomenal in production values.

I heard the Asgard in direct comparison to my Lehmann Black Cube amp.  The BCL was very much a brighter amplifier.  You also own the R2 which in my estimation is probably very, very neutral.

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #79 of 7,138

Quote:
I'm going to have to think about this for a while before I decide if I should be upset about it. Number one is I flat refuse to pay that much for a set of headphones. Number 2, I'm extremely happy with the r2's and really feel I have found the one headphone for me so even if I had the money I probably wouldn't buy them

However, It kind of rubs me the wrong way when a company releases a revision then 4 months later releases a new model.

Next question, how much better could they be?

Well the Law of Diminishing Returns (LDR) states quite unclearly that when the price of gear doubles you're lucky to get a 10% improvement in sound 
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #80 of 7,138

Quote:
I'm going to have to think about this for a while before I decide if I should be upset about it. Number one is I flat refuse to pay that much for a set of headphones. Number 2, I'm extremely happy with the r2's and really feel I have found the one headphone for me so even if I had the money I probably wouldn't buy them

Quote:
Don't know about you guys, but my rev.2 is sounding really good today.
biggrin.gif

Been listening to my R.2 all night and they do sound superb. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #81 of 7,138

Quote:

Funny how the sound didn't change after the LCD-3s were announced. I've been listening to them for a few days straight and still love them.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #82 of 7,138
Hi, my first post here.

The LCD-3 was introduced but what happens with the R.2?
Does Audeze furthermore produce this model because I read something here that the stocks are empty???

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #83 of 7,138

Quote:
Hi, my first post here.

The LCD-3 was introduced but what happens with the R.2?
Does Audeze furthermore produce this model because I read something here that the stocks are empty???

So they would be a company with one $2000 headphone? Revenue generation is going to be tough. They're already on the record saying that the LCD-2 is still a go...with the LCD-3 as the new flagship.

BTW...Welcome to Head-fi and sit tight....it's going to be a whirl wind with RMAF!
smile.gif

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #86 of 7,138
I can't imagine that they would consider dropping the LCD-2, it's very popular and only half the price of the LCD-3. The cynic in me says that they are going for a higher margin product for those customers that must have the very best regardless of cost even if the improvement is quite marginal.

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #87 of 7,138
Quote:

Quote:
Funny how the sound didn't change after the LCD-3s were announced. I've been listening to them for a few days straight and still love them.

With the LCD-2, Audez'e have definitely rekindled my passion for music. I love listening with the rev2. It's such a fantastic headphone and I'm a very grateful to own one.

Nice to see and participate in an active LCD-2 thread again. 
o2smile.gif

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #88 of 7,138

Quote:
I can't imagine that they would consider dropping the LCD-2, it's very popular and only half the price of the LCD-3. The cynic in me says that they are going for a higher margin product for those customers that must have the very best regardless of cost even if the improvement is quite marginal.

They won't drop the LCD-2. If they wanted to do that they would have designed the LCD-3 to a much closer price point in respect to the 2. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #89 of 7,138
Until the LCD-3 came out I never considered replacing the LCD-2 r.2.   But now there is a contrast for me to scrutinize the LCD-2 in a way I hadn't had before.  So I spent this evening again listening to them.  I'm trying to find some reason, any reason to not like them but I cannot.  I love them.  If anything I listen too much to them and I can't get anything done. Every time one track ends I want to hear just one more track. Maybe now I can stop thinking about the LCD3 and instead spend the extra $1K on HD tracks...

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #90 of 7,138

Quote:
Until the LCD-3 came out I never considered replacing the LCD-2 r.2.   But now there is a contrast for me to scrutinize the LCD-2 in a way I hadn't had before.  So I spent this evening again listening to them.  I'm trying to find some reason, any reason to not like them but I cannot.  I love them.  If anything I listen too much to them and I can't get anything done. Every time one track ends I want to hear just one more track. Maybe now I can stop thinking about the LCD3 and instead spend the extra $1K on HD tracks...

Kind of like many of us satisfied rev.1 owners that never felt the need to audition the rev.2 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back