The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jan 17, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #7,081 of 7,138

Should I purchase half of an LCD-3 and fix my cans that way?  Thoughts?

Mismiatching drivers is never a good idea. They have completely different magnetic structures, and therefore different drive requirements, so the volume wouldn't even be matched and you'll likely screw your headphone amp up.

Besides, where the hell do you get half of an LCD-3?

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #7,082 of 7,138
  Mismiatching drivers is never a good idea. They have completely different magnetic structures, and therefore different drive requirements, so the volume wouldn't even be matched and you'll likely screw your headphone amp up.

Besides, where the hell do you get half of an LCD-3?

Get a whole LCD-3 and divide by 2
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #7,084 of 7,138
  You're not mathmagician, though.

If you divided an LCD-3 by 2, you'd have an LCD-1.5.

No no no
The version numbers are just sequential, not detailing their volume or number of cups
The LCD-2 doesn't contain 66% of the headphone, does it?  
You really ought to be taking my proposed solution more seriously.  

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #7,085 of 7,138
I don't know... hardbop's math seems about right to me.  Take an LCD-3 and divide by two - that gives you LCD-1.5.  Add that to the half of your LCD-2 that is working (which makes it an LCD-1) and you now have an LCD-2.5... perhaps better than what you started with!  Better than my LCD-2.2 anyway!

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #7,086 of 7,138
Anyone know why the LCD-2 is for pre-order on Audeze's website? Is there a newer version coming out or something? Was gonna order a pair soon. (I know I can order it from other retailers, just curious as to why it is pre-order on their site.)

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #7,087 of 7,138
  Anyone know why the LCD-2 is for pre-order on Audeze's website? Is there a newer version coming out or something? Was gonna order a pair soon. (I know I can order it from other retailers, just curious as to why it is pre-order on their site.)

There's apparently an updated version coming with new/different options for the wood. As far as I've heard that's the only change, but I certainly could be wrong.

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #7,088 of 7,138

There's apparently an updated version coming with new/different options for the wood. As far as I've heard that's the only change, but I certainly could be wrong.

What I keep hearing is that they're running out of stock, and when they don't have any it shows up as "pre-order" instead of what it should be, backordered. This is why the Adorama ones were in stainless steel, they just can't make enough of the wood cups to keep up.

Would be cool if more wood cups were going to be offered.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #7,090 of 7,138
I got an issue with my LCD-2. Digging in my email for contacting support I realize it´s the same issue I got before. Volume on my left driver being cut way down like less then half of the right. This fixed itself before so I didn´t have to go through with the RMA at that time. I have changed cables tried both balanced and single ended and various sources so I know for sure it´s the headphones that is the culprit. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #7,091 of 7,138
Has anyone been crazy enough to remove the fazor from their drivers and observe the differences and subbass extension? I don't have the lcd-2 right now, but when I had it last and removed the pads it looked like the fazor element could be removed easily without damaging the drivers, and possibly reattached using some adhesive.

Could be a really bad idea, or a really good idea (lcd-2c & 2f in one?) :)

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #7,092 of 7,138
  crazy enough 
reattach [sensitive driver material] with adhesive
Could be a really bad idea

You've got an answer.

How long has turn-around been for most people in regards to driver repair?  I recognize Audeze is a small, busy company but it shouldn't be this hard to give them my money.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #7,093 of 7,138
  Has anyone been crazy enough to remove the fazor from their drivers and observe the differences and subbass extension? I don't have the lcd-2 right now, but when I had it last and removed the pads it looked like the fazor element could be removed easily without damaging the drivers, and possibly reattached using some adhesive.

Could be a really bad idea, or a really good idea (lcd-2c & 2f in one?) :)

I don´t think anybody have done it. I have asked here but got no response. I have asked Audeze on numerous occasions but I seem to be on their ignore list.

I wonder how much it effect the tuning of the driver. If they need to tune the lcd-2 driver differently for the fazor.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #7,094 of 7,138
Wasn't getting any response on the Impression thread.

Hello folks, I've finally unlocked the Left Driver Failure achievement. Will contact Audeze after the weekend. Is there anything to take note of? Will shipping be covered?

Apart from the left driver, what else will be replaced? E.g. Earcups, Earpads, Filters, Fazor piece?

Could you share your repair experience? Thank you so much!

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #7,095 of 7,138
Wasn't getting any response on the Impression thread.

Hello folks, I've finally unlocked the Left Driver Failure achievement. Will contact Audeze after the weekend. Is there anything to take note of? Will shipping be covered?

Apart from the left driver, what else will be replaced? E.g. Earcups, Earpads, Filters, Fazor piece?

Could you share your repair experience? Thank you so much!

Based on my repair experience: if your left driver is truly defective, they will replace both. If your headphone is pre-fazor, they'll add fazor to the drivers. I'm pretty sure they don't replace anything else that doesn't need repair. In other words, you're not getting a brand new headphone, just new drivers in case of a defect (and fazor if you don't already have it).

As far as shipping is concerned, I don't know if it's case by case, but I can tell you that I paid to ship the headphones to them, but not the shipping back. To be confirmed with the Audeze rep I guess.

On a last note, I'll add that my experience was very positive, so you shouldn't be too worried.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back