The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Aug 24, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #6,587 of 7,138
Aug 24, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #6,591 of 7,138
No, that's not how it works.
If you actually try this out, you might notice that damping the front of the driver can in fact reduce the highs resulting you hearing louder bass.

Regardless, it's not boosting the bass. It's just less treble. That's it. You're not hearing more bass, you're hearing less treble.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #6,593 of 7,138
Aug 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #6,594 of 7,138
Agreed.  Less treble means you notice the bass more.  Even the HD800 cops a little flak for being bass light, when it isn't...but it's the treble in stock form that makes it seem that way.

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #6,595 of 7,138
Auditory masking doesn't necessarily work in the ways described here.

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #6,597 of 7,138
  Agreed.  Less treble means you notice the bass more.  Even the HD800 cops a little flak for being bass light, when it isn't...but it's the treble in stock form that makes it seem that way.

If you "mask" the treble and possibly some of the upper mids you don't get more bass. But yes it's more apparent. But the story doesn't end there. With a lower upper mid and treble we turn the volume higher because 1. we want to hear the vocals better and 2. we can tolerate a higher volume because the "painful" frequencies are quieter.

The end result is something with more bass because we turned the volume up. I figured this out using logic. I have no scientific basis for this :)

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #6,598 of 7,138
If you "mask" the treble and possibly some of the upper mids you don't get more bass. But yes it's more apparent. But the story doesn't end there. With a lower upper mid and treble we turn the volume higher because 1. we want to hear the vocals better and 2. we can tolerate a higher volume because the "painful" frequencies are quieter.

The end result is something with more bass because we turned the volume up. I figured this out using logic. I have no scientific basis for this :)

I tend to agree. I suspect that this is the kind of sound musicians practice to because it is the only possible signature that allows for rehearsals.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #6,599 of 7,138
  Agreed.  Zero complaints and it sounds great.

I myself find that the stock cable on  my lcd2 v2s really holds the headphone back . I have recently bought a cable pro reverie lcd2 cable that has really dramatically improved the performance of my lcd2 v2. While it is certainly not cheap it has really elevated the performance of my lcd2 v2 . I just wished that the stock cable could have been better so I might have saved me the money that I  shelled out on the new leash .That is the nature of the high end .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back