The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 28, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #6,436 of 7,138
It seems to be a trait of Audezes in general, although the XC I heard was a little different.  Maybe I've heard a bad LCD2 and a bad LCDX, but have heard a good XC.  Either way for the LCD2 and LCDX, there's an innate layer of smoothness over the entire soundscape, which can make things seem less 'tactile' then the offerings from Hifiman.  

The XC I heard had great imaging, but the LCD2-- while having a soundstage that could get pretty deep at times-- has a sense of smushiness to it at times, making layering and imaging less distinguished than it could be.  You could call it grouped together, but it depends a lot on the recording.

May 28, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #6,438 of 7,138
  The imaging is somewhat hazy.

After breaking in, the newest version with the fazor is very precise, more so than my HD-600 in my opinion. In terms of soundstage, width is similar between the two, but the LCD-2F is significantly deeper and more layered in it's presentation. I also feel the LCD-2 requires more power than the HD-600 to really shine, source quality is definitely important.

May 28, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #6,439 of 7,138
  After breaking in, the newest version with the fazor is very precise, more so than my HD-600 in my opinion. In terms of soundstage, width is similar between the two, but the LCD-2F is significantly deeper and more layered in it's presentation. I also feel the LCD-2 requires more power than the HD-600 to really shine, source quality is definitely important.

My main two comparisons are the LCD-2 (non-fazor) and the Denon D7000, the D7000 is both slightly wider and far more precise with imaging. However, the D7000 is one of the best closed headphones for soundstage and imaging.

As for power, a ton of power is definitely a necessity with the LCD-2's, the difference between a good sub 1w headphone amp and a high power speaker amp is substantial.

May 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #6,440 of 7,138
I'd take LCD-2.2 over HE-500 for soundstage. Sure it doesn't have the imaging to the level of HE-500, but it's overall soundstage is more coherent and enveloping (3-D). Also, the LCD-2 has better centerstage.

May 30, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #6,441 of 7,138
As a previous LCD2.2 owner (not the Fazor) I'd recommend the HE 560 over the HE500 or the LCDs, the soundstage, imaging And layering are quite a bit better, though separation is about the same. If you enjoy a very lush intimate sound take the LCDs, if you're a fan of soundstage and imaging go for the HE 560s. This is assuming you're looking for an Orthodynamic headphone, otherwise dynamics are usually (to my own findings) better at sound staging and imaging and layering, with the ortho's being better in transparency. (IN GENERAL, this is what I've observed, no hate here :))

May 30, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #6,442 of 7,138
So, after some buying and selling(Some sennie, Grados, ATHs,Beyers) i hit the sweet spot. LCD 2.2 Rosewood!
man, this thing is real awesome.
never heard ZZ Top sounds this good.
love this big fat tone of LCD. Les Paul guitar sounds even better. damn. this is the one for me.

beerchug.gif
Cheers as LCD2 proud owner.

May 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #6,444 of 7,138
  So, after some buying and selling(Some sennie, Grados, ATHs,Beyers) i hit the sweet spot. LCD 2.2 Rosewood!
man, this thing is real awesome.
never heard ZZ Top sounds this good.
love this big fat tone of LCD. Les Paul guitar sounds even better. damn. this is the one for me.

beerchug.gif
Cheers as LCD2 proud owner.

What are the CIEMs in the pic?

May 30, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #6,445 of 7,138
I've sold all of my Grado's and think I have stopped at the LCD-2's, for quite a long time. I'm not wanting for anything more at the moment.

May 30, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #6,446 of 7,138
  LCD2's soundstage is about the same size as the HE-400.  However, the LCD2 feels like you're swimming underwater while the HE-400 feels like you're walking on solid ground with air around you.

Thats strange, I felt like the LCD2 soundstage was clearer than HE-400's one, similar size, LCD-2 can go further and widder depending on the recording tho, but that underwater sound... Could it be the liquid like sound vs the brither and dry one on the HE-400?

May 30, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #6,447 of 7,138
Hey all my LCD2 arrived a day early. A quick question as I have never owned a planar headphone before. How long (approx) do these need for burn in. They sound pretty good right out of the box, but the soundstage seems pretty narrow at the moment, I am hoping that will open up with some time.

May 30, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #6,448 of 7,138
I don't know about sound-stage changes. If you bought new you will have the fazor model which is supposedly better than previous LCD2 models.

Judging from the other headphones in your profile you will find the LCD2 very different. In my case (from Grados, Senn and Stax Lambda) I was underwhelmed at first but by about day 2 and for the next 2-3 weeks it was 'wow, these are amazing' as I discovered one thing after another.

They're not pyrotechnic phones. It's extra detail and information especially in the lower registers that adds dimensions I personally hadn't experienced before in a headphone., e.g. piano (I used to play) sounding like a real piano.

May 30, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #6,449 of 7,138
That's funny, I was the same way. I put them on and was very underwhelmed. 2 days later I couldn't listen to anything else!

May 30, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #6,450 of 7,138
Eversince I acquired WA2 and Stax (507 & 404LE), my Audezes have been downgraded to spares.
They used to be my main Cans when my 2A3 tube amp still around, sadly it has to undergo maintenance due to humming.
Audeze with WA2 really can't compete with my T1+WA2 imho, while the Stax are simply amazing...even with my Alo PanAm, my LCD-2 can't compete with T1+WA2 and Staxs.

Seem like I need to find a suitable amps to make my Audeze sing again 
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back