The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 15, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #6,421 of 7,138
+1 for cv 4010 nice tubes
I like better the voskhod adding more treble energy keeping the good bass of the Mullards

May 15, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #6,422 of 7,138
+1 for cv 4010 nice tubes
I like better the voskhod adding more treble energy keeping the good bass of the Mullards

My voshkod is on the way, will give them a try once they get here
atsmile.gif

May 19, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #6,423 of 7,138
The fazors themselves don't change the efficiency, but the stators are changed as well, so that's what's really changing the efficiency.

Looking at the diagrams on Tylls review, the fazer is a waveguide.  A wave guide controls dispersion and also makes the mechanical system more efficient like in horns.  Should mean more sound fired to your ear lobes and less off to the cup cavity and then bouncing some more.  less cavity resonance is a good thing.

May 19, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #6,424 of 7,138
 Looking at the diagrams on Tylls review, the fazer is a waveguide.  A wave guide controls dispersion and also makes the mechanical system more efficient like in horns.  Should mean more sound fired to your ear lobes and less off to the cup cavity and then bouncing some more.  less cavity resonance is a good thing.

That may be true, but there are definitely changes with the stators, which is shown with the change of impedance. I would say the new stators would have a much higher effect on efficiency than the fazors, since the stators are what takes the power from the amp and converts it to the magnetic energy to move the diaphragm.

May 19, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #6,425 of 7,138
That may be true, but there are definitely changes with the stators, which is shown with the change of impedance. I would say the new stators would have a much higher effect on efficiency than the fazors, since the stators are what takes the power from the amp and converts it to the magnetic energy to move the diaphragm.

A little bit of that and little bit of this and well whaddaya know...more efficiency. 
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #6,426 of 7,138

Stators are defined as the non-moving part, which in PM headphones is the magnets.  They are permanent magnets and not energized by the amp.  The amp drives the circuit (conductive traces on the diaphragm), not the stators. 

The improved efficiency probably arrises for a number of reasons (circuit, magnet spacing, diaphragm weight), and likely not just a single parameter.

May 19, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #6,427 of 7,138
Thanks for the clarification! I'm just used to stators taking the signal, like in electrostatic speakers etc. it's interesting that they do it differently with these, and still call them stators.

May 19, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #6,428 of 7,138
Has anyone been able to compare the soundstage of the LCD-2F with the LCD-X? I remember the LCD-X soundstage being substantially better than the LCD-2.2 and was wondering if the 2F was similar.

May 19, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #6,429 of 7,138
From what I remember about the X's... similar width to my 2.2f's, but with a better center image which can help with depth IMHO.

May 19, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #6,430 of 7,138
Okay. From my experience, I remember the LCD-X throwing sound out 5-10 feet in some recordings (usually only a couple feet). However, that was with Frank's super awesome WA5.

I wouldn't say my LCD-2's soundstage is really any better than my D7000's soundstage. Admittedly, the D7000 has a great soundstage for a closed headphone, but it's still a closed headphone.

May 28, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #6,431 of 7,138
Could someone please compare the LCD-2's soundstage to the Hifman line... more specifically the HE-400 for me? I want to upgrade this summer, but I'm a little concerned after reading that Audeze headphones are so closed-in sounding.

Edit: Since I'm buying used, this may not end up being a Fazor model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back