The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 1, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #6,331 of 7,138
Anyone want to go into detail on the differences of the LCD-2 on the Asgard 2 vs. Lyr? I know the tube aspect is going to make it a completely different animal altogether, but I'm just curious if the Asgard 2 really does well with the latest revision, being that it is at the bottom end of the power requirement for the LCD-2 at 1 W. (LCD-2 Recommended power is 1-4 W). How about the difference of giving it more power on a different SS amp?

May 1, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #6,332 of 7,138
I have both, I really don't think I'd miss the Lyr if I only had the Asgard 2. It does an excellent job with the LCD-2's (non fazor).

May 1, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #6,333 of 7,138
I have a Lake people SS amp that gives over 2 watts at 50 ohms and get more bass and sub bass from the alo pan am which is less powerful I think
I prefer the sound of the tubes amp : richer, more textures with better low end presentation

May 1, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #6,334 of 7,138
  Anyone want to go into detail on the differences of the LCD-2 on the Asgard 2 vs. Lyr? I know the tube aspect is going to make it a completely different animal altogether, but I'm just curious if the Asgard 2 really does well with the latest revision, being that it is at the bottom end of the power requirement for the LCD-2 at 1 W. (LCD-2 Recommended power is 1-4 W). How about the difference of giving it more power on a different SS amp?

This was a while ago and with the original Asgard, although now that I've had the A2 for a while I'm inclined to think I would feel the same.

For me, I actually preferred the Asgard with the LCD-2s. I got to try the Lyr for a few hours with a number of different tubes (in a quiet hotel room, not meet conditions) and the best that I heard sounded similar to the Asgard, and the "worst" to my ears I didn't like nearly as much as the Asgard.

Now, quite possibly I just like solid state, and maybe I listen at lower volumes than most others or something, but for me I actually preferred the Asgard over the Lyr.

I would also mention that with some other cans like K701, being able to tube roll helped immensely as I found them way too bright on the Asgard. But for LCD-2s the Asgard was my preferred sound signature.

All listening at the time was done with an original Bifrost.

Unfortunately, this was quite a while ago, so while I remember my overall preference I couldn't tell you any real details as to why I preferred the Asgard.

May 1, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #6,335 of 7,138
Thank you all very much for your responses. This is one of the best online communities I've ever found and I appreciate everyone's professionalism and informative answers.

Now, quite possibly I just like solid state, and maybe I listen at lower volumes than most others or something, but for me I actually preferred the Asgard over the Lyr.

I had the Vali for a while and I really didn't like it that much except for the bass presentation. I attributed this to my headphones, as both pairs I currently have are high sensitivity and low impedance, so the microphonics and fuzz really bothered me, but I still don't think I'd be happy with tubes in the long run. I traded my friend that has HD598s for his Magni and I've been happy as a clam ever since, and so is he. I really enjoy clear presentation of music. If the music itself is fuzzy, then that is wonderful, but I don't need to add extra fuzz and smoothness to it on top of that, I don't find that it adds any value for me.

Thank you for all of your impressions, it really helps me out, even if they were from older equipment from a while back, it is still quite valid.

May 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #6,336 of 7,138
That is why I have two systems, one solid state and one tube. Depends on my mood and what I am listening to, sometimes I like the clean, complete lack of distortion sound of the solid state and sometimes I opt for the warm lush tube sound. It's nice to have both IMO.

May 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #6,337 of 7,138
Eventually I'd like to have another headphone amp, but that is probably way down the road. If Schiit makes an all tube amp that can power Orthos, then I'll probably jump on it. If not, one of the Woo products is probably next on my list. I need to save money to go see actual, live music as well 
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #6,338 of 7,138
I have a new LCD-2
Since yesterday.

My first impression: terrible!
My first thought: I'll send it back
Second thought: I'll give it a chance. The burn In process could heal the mid ranges.

And now, at the end of day 2, the sound is yet not pretty good at all but not comparable to the sound yesterday.
Which experience do you have with the burn in process at the LCD-2? How long does it need before the sound is stable good?

May 1, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #6,339 of 7,138
That is why I have two systems, one solid state and one tube. Depends on my mood and what I am listening to, sometimes I like the clean, complete lack of distortion sound of the solid state and sometimes I opt for the warm lush tube sound. It's nice to have both IMO.

+1

If one set up is usb then you don't even need to switch any option on the p.c
You just have to turn on the one you want to use, and then It becomes the default set up (except for foobar but the setting pops up)

May 1, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #6,340 of 7,138
I have a new LCD-2

Which experience do you have with the burn in process at the LCD-2? How long does it need before the sound is stable good?

With Lcd 2 you need an amp with a good synergy, Fiio's may drive the phones to a decent volume but that's about it

May 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #6,341 of 7,138
For burning in process if you don't like the sound day 1 then I'm not very positive for any big improvement

May 1, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #6,342 of 7,138
With Lcd 2 you need an amp with a good synergy, Fiio's may drive the phones to a decent volume but that's about it

What do you think, which amp will do a better job, if possible a battery version?

May 1, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #6,343 of 7,138
  I have a new LCD-2
Since yesterday.

My first impression: terrible!
My first thought: I'll send it back
Second thought: I'll give it a chance. The burn In process could heal the mid ranges.

And now, at the end of day 2, the sound is yet not pretty good at all but not comparable to the sound yesterday.

It's ridiculous to use LCD-2 with a fiio. You hear only 30% of their potential. The problem is the amp, not the audezes!

edit: I can't remember any significant burn-in changes with LCD-2. Dynamics are more prone to improvement after burn-in than orthos or electrostats. That's my experience.

May 1, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #6,344 of 7,138
A battery version like fiio amp or like alo pan am and passport ??

Your AKG K3003i + fiio is already a very nice portable set up !!

May 1, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #6,345 of 7,138

What do you think, which amp will do a better job, if possible a battery version?

Battery doesn't matter unless you need to be portable, you need a 1 to 4 W power output from the amp. The E12 only does 880 mW at 32 Ohms, and the LCD-2 is 70 Ohms, so the output is probably more like 500 mW or somesuch. You're vastly underpowered. The Asgard 2 can power them for 250 bucks. I don't know of a portable amp with a lot of power, you'll have to look around, or I'm sure an experienced Head-Fier will chime in with the perfect option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back