The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Mar 20, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #6,169 of 7,138
Mar 23, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #6,171 of 7,138
the more I listen to my LCD-2 the more I think they decided to make only one kind of drivers (the LCD-3) and sell them as LCD-2. if you compare the current graphs with the one on headphone.com the treble on the new ones is very very elevated. and the old one has a slight decline in frequency response from around 200Hz all the way down to 10kHz. the current one is flat right up to 1kHz and then sharp decline to 9kHz and then massive treble high

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #6,174 of 7,138
They are visually substantially different....count the slots/magnets:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/spectacularly-yummy-audeze-lcd-2-and-lcd-3-page-2

the more I listen to my LCD-2 the more I think they decided to make only one kind of drivers (the LCD-3) and sell them as LCD-2. if you compare the current graphs with the one on headphone.com the treble on the new ones is very very elevated. and the old one has a slight decline in frequency response from around 200Hz all the way down to 10kHz. the current one is flat right up to 1kHz and then sharp decline to 9kHz and then massive treble high

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #6,175 of 7,138
  the more I listen to my LCD-2 the more I think they decided to make only one kind of drivers (the LCD-3) and sell them as LCD-2. ............

I have been doing A/B ing between the 2 and the 3 after I read this. To my ears, this doesn't seem to be the case. My 3s sound more neutral with a slight bias upwards. The 2 is definitely the "fun" HP between the two headphones. My 0.02.

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #6,176 of 7,138
I like my current LCD-2 much better than the one I had a couple years ago.  Amp has stayed the same, only difference is dac.  Seems to have better highs with more air and a bit wider and deeper soundstage, they also sound faster and the bass hits much harder than my older pair.  I would become bored listening to the first pair I had but not now, these things are aggressive and fun.  Both were rev. 2 btw with the metal connectors.

I favored the HE-500 over the first pair but now it's no contest... my current LCD-2 best it in every category.

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #6,177 of 7,138
I like my current LCD-2 much better than the one I had a couple years ago.  Amp has stayed the same, only difference is dac.  Seems to have better highs with more air and a bit wider and deeper soundstage, they also sound faster and the bass hits much harder than my older pair.  I would become bored listening to the first pair I had but not now, these things are aggressive and fun.  Both were rev. 2 btw with the metal connectors.

I favored the HE-500 over the first pair but now it's no contest... my current LCD-2 best it in every category.

Are you saying that the same lcd2 sound different than the new ones?

I had the older hd800 (2011) model and the new one I bought in 2013/nov sound different, I can tell that new hd800 have better bass and no ear piercing trebles.

My lcd2.2 was too dark and sounded very congested, basically NO soundstage.

I should maybe give a second try to lcd3/x/xc one day.

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #6,178 of 7,138
Are you saying that the same lcd2 sound different than the new ones?

I had the older hd800 (2011) model and the new one I bought in 2013/nov sound different, I can tell that new hd800 have better bass and no ear piercing trebles.

My lcd2.2 was too dark and sounded very congested, basically NO soundstage.

I should maybe give a second try to lcd3/x/xc one day.

Yeah, that was how my first LCD-2 sounded.  Very congested with basically no soundstage and they were slower than my HE-500.  It didn't sound like any of the glowing reviews I had read.

I don't know, maybe I had a bad pair the first time because the pair I have now live up to the hype.  These have me itching to hear the LCD-X or 3.  Arghh!

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #6,179 of 7,138
Yeah, that was how my first LCD-2 sounded.  Very congested with basically no soundstage and they were slower than my HE-500.  It didn't sound like any of the glowing reviews I had read.

I don't know, maybe I had a bad pair the first time because the pair I have now live up to the hype.  These have me itching to hear the LCD-X or 3.  Arghh!

Oh then it was not my hearing. Audeze should replace the drivers for those who suffer from this.

Not sure how many of unofficial revisions Audeze had for LCD2 but I am going to wait for lcd x or xc revisions to settle a bit if I ever decide to buy again.

I really don't like too many revisions ending up different sound signature, seems like quality control is bit uncontrolled. But I can be wrong.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #6,180 of 7,138

Hmm. So no noticable difference? :S

The RWA Issabilna is not really special and my impressions have changed since the first time I heard them with the HD650 (3 years ago) back then I thought they sounded really good. They still drive the HD650 ok but for the LCD2's especially you can look at other alternatives. 

My graph from late January 2014.

Unique FR graph there. Seem's the newer LCD2's sound tad bit different to the batches from 2013 and earlier. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back