The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Feb 27, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #6,121 of 7,138
  I'm more interested in his impressions of the current production LCD-2 and why it warrants a whole new review.

I can confirm you that the new LCD-2 Rev.3 (?) have been improved over the other pairs of LCD-2s that I have owned in the past.  (My pair has a nice peak at around 10Khz.)

I have compared them with the LCD-X recently and at the end I have decided to keep the LCD-2.  (I will try to post a small review this weekend.)

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #6,122 of 7,138
His original review was posted August of 2012.  I'm not sure which revision he had for that review.  I see angled connectors so must be LCD-2.2?  I guess the newer ones are LCD-2.3 but there are no visible differences?

It's on innerfidelity in the comments of his new AKG K812 review.

I think the colour of rev 2 is darker than rev3
Same rosewood colour

CMIIW

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #6,123 of 7,138

I can confirm you that the new LCD-2 Rev.3 (?) have been improved over the other pairs of LCD-2s that I have owned in the past.  (My pair has a nice peak at around 10Khz.)

I have compared them with the LCD-X recently and at the end I have decided to keep the LCD-2.  (I will try to post a small review this weekend.)

I look forward to reading it. I felt the same way when I compared them.

I think the colour of rev 2 is darker than rev3
Same rosewood colour

CMIIW

Couldn't that be from using the wood care kit though?

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #6,124 of 7,138
Maybe I'm loosing it, but your graph certainly seems to have a stronger response in the 10khz region than most of the earlier graphs I've seen folks showing. More air/sparkle?

I noticed Tyll's comment the other day as well and it made me a bit nervous, as I had literally just placed an order for a bamboo LCD-2 directly from Audeze. The cans will be showing up tomorrow...definitely interested in seeing what the graph looks like; more interested in listening to them! 

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #6,125 of 7,138
  Maybe I'm loosing it, but your graph certainly seems to have a stronger response in the 10khz region than most of the earlier graphs I've seen folks showing. More air/sparkle?

I noticed Tyll's comment the other day as well and it made me a bit nervous, as I had literally just placed an order for a bamboo LCD-2 directly from Audeze. The cans will be showing up tomorrow...definitely interested in seeing what the graph looks like; more interested in listening to them! 

Yeah, the soundstage of my LCD-2 is similar to the LCD-X with my Mjolnir and the treble is well extended and every bit as good as the X. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #6,127 of 7,138
We've been through this before there is no such thing as rev.2.3's. A change earpad's etc doesn't warrant a revisional fix to the model lineup. Rev.2 (2) is the latest and it's only because Audeze scraped the original angled wood protruded connectors for the new metal angled connectors due to cracking.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #6,128 of 7,138
There seems to be a lot of confusion about the numbering, considering how many small changes have been made to the product through the years. At least the drivers only changed once (I believe).

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #6,131 of 7,138
  We've been through this before there is no such thing as rev.2.3's. A change earpad's etc doesn't warrant a revisional fix to the model lineup. Rev.2 (2) is the latest and it's only because Audeze scraped the original angled wood protruded connectors for the new metal angled connectors due to cracking.

The Rev 2 was not due to moving to the new metal connectors - there are Rev 2.2's with angled wooden connectors - the move to metal connectors did not warrant any change at all from the previous 2.2 status.

In fact, there are LCD 2.2's with a STRAIGHT wooden connector - only the revisions to the planar magnetic diaphram itself are considered to be revisions worthy of a "dot point" update.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #6,133 of 7,138

The Rev 2 was not due to moving to the new metal connectors - there are Rev 2.2's with angled wooden connectors - the move to metal connectors did not warrant any change at all from the previous 2.2 status.

In fact, there are LCD 2.2's with a STRAIGHT wooden connector - only the revisions to the planar magnetic diaphram itself are considered to be revisions worthy of a "dot point" update.

I think you missed out what I was saying. 

Rev 2's is when the change to a more efficiently designed driver was made. Slight different to rev 1's. Which I own.

Rev 2's originally had angled wooden connectors like the later batch rev 1's did.

Rev 2.2 covers all LCD2 rev 2's released after early wooden connectors. These had slight different pads and metal angled connectors. Rev 2.2 was a thing made up here on head-fi to distinguish between old wooden connector rev 2's to new metal connector rev 2's.

No such thing as rev 2.3's. But the last few FR graphs from recent owners from late last year to current have a more balanced looking LCD2 - judging from FR only compared to old wooden and very late 2012 to early 2013 metal connector rev 2's.

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #6,135 of 7,138
Yes, the difficulty revolves around the different nomenclature we are all using on Head Fi.  

The LCD-2's Rev 1 originally had straight down connectors, but the later ones had angled connectors.  

The LCD-2 revision 2's (also called the LCD2.2 or LCD 2r2) had the angled wooden connectors and the newer, lighter diaphgram. 

You are talking about a revision of a revision: The LCD 2 Revision 2 Revision 2 - which would mean the metal, angled connectors are LCD2.2.2's ... 

The difficulty lies with most people here referring to the LCD2 Revision 2 (LCD2.2), as LCD-2 Revision 2.2 (as they are confused by the Revision 2 being labelled an LCD2.2).  Most people on HeadFi saying "Revision 2.2" don't mean "Revision 2.2" at all, they mean Version 2.2 (which is actually an LCD-2, Revision 2).

To avoid this confusion, most people don't discuss the Bamboo/Metal connectors as a "Revision" (as there was no change to the driver - well, no OFFICIAL change, though as you point out the treble has increased and the bass maybe decreased during the production run).  They will still call them LCD2.2's (LCD Revision 2's) and simply state "with metal connector" or "bamboo" version - which also neatly manages to clear up all the confusion engendered by referring to an LCD-2 Rev 2 Rev 2 or LCD2.2.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back