The ATH-CKS77.
May 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,067 of 1,518
Unless you ask they give you a pair of mediums but the mediums I got was an AT tip but not the ones that come with a boxed pair..The AT tip the factory rejects came with are for ATs cheaper earphones.. The reason why I know is the ones that came with the rejected pair had a hard time going to the 2nd slot on the nozzle. The oem tips have no such issues. I did a tip comparison with my cheaper CK303 and those are more what they looked like to me..

So it seems they randomly throw in a AT tip. But if you ask them to include a large or small they will do that. If they are actually the original tips I don't know.  It is good to know you can just buy some tips from ATs web site though.

May 22, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #1,068 of 1,518
Quote:
Unless you ask they give you a pair of mediums but the mediums I got was an AT tip but not the ones that come with a boxed pair..The AT tip the factory rejects came with are for ATs cheaper earphones.. The reason why I know is the ones that came with the rejected pair had a hard time going to the 2nd slot on the nozzle. The oem tips have no such issues. I did a tip comparison with my cheaper CK303 and those are more what they looked like to me..

So it seems they randomly throw in a AT tip. But if you ask them to include a large or small they will do that. If they are actually the original tips I don't know.  It is good to know you can just buy some tips from ATs web site though.

Yeah, I got mediums too, so I'm gonna guess that they're the same tips they gave you. Do you hear any difference between the reject's tips and your oem tips?

May 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,069 of 1,518
Quote:

Yeah, I got mediums too, so I'm gonna guess that they're the same tips they gave you. Do you hear any difference between the reject's tips and your oem tips?

Not much but there is 2 little issues with the medium tip they provide. For one you notice it is very difficult if not impossible to go down to the 2nd slot on the nozzle with them? So the only position you can really use them with is the outer or the very first slot on the nozzle. 2nd I have average sized ears but I like to get a good sound seal on all my earphones and use large. As the mediums are just a tad small for me.  As you guys know having a tight sound seal is very important for proper sound.

This time around I asked them to just send me large ear tips when they are shipping my replacement pair. I should get those soon actually.

May 22, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #1,070 of 1,518
Mmmm I just want to make sure I got this right...

1st position?

2nd position?

And these are what my tips look like off. They are a PITA to push down because the tube is very thick(guess that's due to better isolation), and they don't look like they want to stay pushed down.

I like these tips more than the hybrids because the sony hybrids oddly "blocked" sound like someone mentioned before, but I guess I'll buy the oem tips anyway for that 2nd position versatility.

May 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #1,071 of 1,518
Yes that is why I mentioned that these tips while actual AT tips are not for the CKS77s. The original tips that came with my boxed pair are fairly easy to push to the lower slot as the stem is thinner than those that come with the HK pair.

May 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #1,072 of 1,518
My ebay special ltd came in today!!!! Tracking number showed that they started processing on the 16th so this was pretty fast shipping from China. Gonna let them burn and what not, have no idea what a boxed version would sound like but I'm super stoked and I have a feeling these are gonna sound exactly like a boxed version after burn. :D I'll post poo poo quality cellphone pictures later. So sad I get these just in time to leave and not test these out.

Ebay box is tiny, just big enough to fit the headphones and bubblewrap.

Contans bubblewrap, the iems, and an extension cable

Took a better quality pic of my new portable setup

May 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #1,073 of 1,518
Mmmm I just want to make sure I got this right...

1st position?

2nd position?

And these are what my tips look like off. They are a PITA to push down because the tube is very thick(guess that's due to better isolation), and they don't look like they want to stay pushed down.

I like these tips more than the hybrids because the sony hybrids oddly "blocked" sound like someone mentioned before, but I guess I'll buy the oem tips anyway for that 2nd position versatility.
if u get the chance, try the meelec bi-FLANGE tips...perfect fit and great sound

May 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #1,074 of 1,518
The CKS55 are good you have to do one little mod however. Burn them in good and also you have to take the filter out on them otherwise the clarity and detail will be lacking for you. They are  similar to the CKS77 but not as refined. You could have taken a chance on one of these HK rejected ones that everyone is getting but you need one with mic so that was a good choice.

Trust me on taking the filter out on those. I know it seems kinda counter intuitive as these will be so new. But in this case since I own a CKS55. I know what they sound like before and after and I have to say after taking the filter out the sound improvements are completely worth it on those..So step 1) burn them in a good solid 50 hours and 2) Take the filter out of the nozzle out oh and don't worry about the bass being affected at all. You are gonna get the full on slam on them for sure.

Just got them in last night and I have to admit, I'm not at all impressed. Talking about the 55iS...dsnuts, do you have a separate thread on these? CKS55? I'm not trying to hijack this thread here but wanted to ask you a few specifics on the burn in and the removal of the filter. I know these are a far cry from the better audio technica phones, but I just expected a little bit more. Let me know man. I would love to chat with you about it. Also I found a pair of klipsch s4i brand new locally here for 35 bucks. Should I jump on those or are they a waste of money even for that price considering I just got these audio technica? Like I said before... I'm a bass Guy. Lol. Thanks so much again for all you contribute. I'm brand new to this site but I've done a lot of research and I love how honest and candid you are with your reviews. Thanks again. Hope to hear from you soon! :)
.Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2

May 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,075 of 1,518
Ya trust me I had that exact same thought when I got mine..Like I mentioned before you must take out that filter in the nozzle. Take something sharp, some tweezers and take that filter out of there. Won't take but a minute. Now the only thing you want to be careful of is when you take that filter out. You have to be sure none of the filter paper goes into the nozzle. Angle your nozzle downward when you take them out that that should prevent from material going into the nozzle.. Burn them in good and they will sound much better for you..

Oh and before you jump on another earphones I have something in mind that will blow your mind for $30 or so. But for now you got what you got and to make those sound right you gotta take them filters out.. I am listening to my pair now.. These sound SOO much better with the filters out and good burn. It is night and day.. But there is another alternative..

Actually even before you take out your filters. Can you return those? If so I have something in mind for you. Let me know. I just recently discovered an unbelievable bassy earphone and you guys that have these CKS earphones can read about them on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-the-jvc-ha-fx40-page-83-jvc-ha-fx101-page-96/1425#post_8395797      There is a micd version. Sorry man this discovery was after you ordered your WS55. If you can return them. Do so and get the micd version of these HAFX101

Great price for these http://www.amazon.com/JVC-In-ear-Headphones-mic-Red/dp/B007B5V1XM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337878020&sr=8-2

Now if your stuck with your WS55is. Must take out filter..It will make a drastic improvement..

No the JVCs don't beat out the CKS77 but they are freaks of nature for the money..

May 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,077 of 1,518
Quote:
Dsnuts said:

Actually even before you take out your filters. Can you return those? If so I have something in mind for you. Let me know. I just recently discovered an unbelievable bassy earphone and you guys that have these CKS earphones can read about them on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-the-jvc-ha-fx40-page-83-jvc-ha-fx101-page-96/1425#post_8395797      There is a micd version. Sorry man this discovery was after you ordered your WS55. If you can return them. Do so and get the micd version of these HAFX101

Great price for these http://www.amazon.com/JVC-In-ear-Headphones-mic-Red/dp/B007B5V1XM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337878020&sr=8-2

Thanks for the advice, but the ones you are recommending don't seem to be the "best" option in that price range... it looks like the HA-FX1X is where it's AT!!!!! same line, just in HULK SMASH mode.... damn.. i wish they made THOSE with a mic...

on a side note... i found a set of J.Fi Acoustic Natural Ebony Wood and Metal Fusion earphones locally, here in Nashville for $19 - NEW! I researchhed the hell out of them, but couldnt find much http://www.jlabaudio.com/jfi-acoustic-natural-ebony-wood-and-metal-fusion-earphones-p-546.html... bought em on principle... if its that cheap... i must buy!!! No mic, but man... these things are badass.... have you heard them? I also got a set of meelectronics M6 for $9, but hate them.. poor design in my opinion.. but these J.Fis are sick... i'm loving them right now.

But back on to the JVCs... you were blown away by the lesser of the XX models? I will probably get them, but man... if you were so blown away by those... im wondering about the big boys (HA-FX1X)!!!

Lastly.. comply or monster supertips? i'm leaning towards the newest complys... the Ts series (spherical) but i'm really intrigued with the monster ones...

Thanks again, bro!!! Much appreciated!

May 25, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #1,079 of 1,518
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, but the ones you are recommending don't seem to be the "best" option in that price range... it looks like the HA-FX1X is where it's AT!!!!! same line, just in HULK SMASH mode.... damn.. i wish they made THOSE with a mic...

on a side note... i found a set of J.Fi Acoustic Natural Ebony Wood and Metal Fusion earphones locally, here in Nashville for $19 - NEW! I researchhed the hell out of them, but couldnt find much http://www.jlabaudio.com/jfi-acoustic-natural-ebony-wood-and-metal-fusion-earphones-p-546.html... bought em on principle... if its that cheap... i must buy!!! No mic, but man... these things are badass.... have you heard them? I also got a set of meelectronics M6 for $9, but hate them.. poor design in my opinion.. but these J.Fis are sick... i'm loving them right now.

But back on to the JVCs... you were blown away by the lesser of the XX models? I will probably get them, but man... if you were so blown away by those... im wondering about the big boys (HA-FX1X)!!!

Lastly.. comply or monster supertips? i'm leaning towards the newest complys... the Ts series (spherical) but i'm really intrigued with the monster ones...

Thanks again, bro!!! Much appreciated!

The HA-FX1X are fun to listen to, and are even boomier than the CKS77's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back