The ATH-CKS77.
May 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #976 of 1,518
Actually had put my CKS77 up for sale but I am rethinking that. As they do burn in they get more treble and clarity. They even go through a pretty bright phase for a bit then tame(noticeable without the filters btw). I was on board with the filter removal but have gone back to the filters. The drivers have loosened up so the speed is a bit quicker than before and not a problem. I agree with what was said about the imaging maybe being a bit better/more accurate w/o the filters and they do have more balance. The other side of the coin is that with the filters the presentation is more fun and might have more depth and 3-D sound even if not as accurate. The filters slow down bass notes a tad and changing the decay of some notes more than others lead to a more unique layering and separation. Also the kick drums have a longer sustain and actually have more depth and feel more complete unamped. The imaging is a bit more fun/special at the cost of total accuracy but that is very welcome for my tastes. 

May 13, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #977 of 1,518
I have to agree on the airiness and clarity of these headphones.  When I listen to the MTV Unplugged version of Korn's Freak on a Leash with Amy Lee it's like I'm one of the people sitting there in that studio.  I can hear things I haven't heard on any of my other headphones or speakers... it's almost like you can hear the size of the room in the music rather than just hearing the music itself like it's a recording.

May 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #978 of 1,518
Quote:
I have to agree on the airiness and clarity of these headphones.  When I listen to the MTV Unplugged version of Korn's Freak on a Leash with Amy Lee it's like I'm one of the people sitting there in that studio.  I can hear things I haven't heard on any of my other headphones or speakers... it's almost like you can hear the size of the room in the music rather than just hearing the music itself like it's a recording.

Exactly..That vivaldi live recording does just this.. The sense of immersion of these earphones are second to none. I don't know if you guys have Eric Clapton unplugged but you must hear the entire album using these earphones. It is your personal concert.. Just too awesome for words.

update. Lol! My HK pair is now around 97% of sound on my original boxed pair.. Wow. Who would have thought. So it does seem like these improve quite a bit with burn in. They are still not 100% but the sound is now unmistakeable. It does seem at least a 100 hours are needed for full burn and another 100 to round out the sound.

Update 2. .I just got a email from seller in HK.. They are gonna replace my pair with the LTD Red. which according the them should have the exact same sound as my Original. I am gonna send these back even though they are getting closer and closer to the original sound..Plus I wanted the LTD red ones. So these guys are definitely cool about the situation. It seems the recent Red ones they sent to me and Swy05 are defective.

May 13, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #979 of 1,518
Quote:
Exactly..That vivaldi live recording does just this.. The sense of immersion of these earphones are second to none. I don't know if you guys have Eric Clapton unplugged but you must hear the entire album using these earphones. It is your personal concert.. Just too awesome for words.

update. Lol! My HK pair is now around 97% of sound on my original boxed pair.. Wow. Who would have thought. So it does seem like these improve quite a bit with burn in. They are still not 100% but the sound is now unmistakeable. It does seem at least a 100 hours are needed for full burn and another 100 to round out the sound.

Update 2. .I just got a email from seller in HK.. They are gonna replace my pair with the LTD Red. which according the them should have the exact same sound as my Original. I am gonna send these back even though they are getting closer and closer to the original sound..Plus I wanted the LTD red ones. So these guys are definitely cool about the situation. It seems the recent Red ones they sent to me and Swy05 are defective.

I'll pick up the album and give it a listen!  Good to hear about the update on the seller too since I wanted the LTD ones too, I will be emailing as well.

May 14, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #980 of 1,518
These headphones sound really really exiting looking through this thread (not the literally the headphones themselves), however, I might be on a bit of a tight budget. Would you say that the SQ of the CKS77 are really worth it over $50 cheaper brainwavz M2's, to an inexperienced listener especially? 

May 14, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #981 of 1,518
Quote:
These headphones sound really really exiting looking through this thread (not the literally the headphones themselves), however, I might be on a bit of a tight budget. Would you say that the SQ of the CKS77 are really worth it over $50 cheaper brainwavz M2's, to an inexperienced listener especially? 

Hey I know what you mean exactly...I was in the same position as yourself...I had the M2´s and I thought I was happy with them and then I bought the CKM50´s which were a massive step up from them /especially in the highs) and then when i first heard a CKS77 i was literally blown away, it was like the sound was coming out of some headphones rather than a pair of IEM´s that feeling of the sound being directly in your ears with the M2´s is no more, and everything is a HUGE step up from the M2´s bass is more detailed and texture mids are smoother, and the highs are in a whole new playing field! 

If you look on ebay there are some factory rejected ones for $50 or so with the same sound after LONG burn in so if you want to sav some cash go with those but DO NOT go with the Brainwavz M2´s even the CKM50 is a massive step up to those haha! CKS77 is able to compete with the big boys like TF10 and MG7 where the M2´s...well they just come nowhere close  its really that big of a difference! 

May 14, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #982 of 1,518
OMG, I thought I was gonna give up on these and never end up using them even on the go but then my new Samsung Galaxy Pocket android phone (a new basic model that seems to focus on sound slightly as it has radio + 3GB internal storage which is quite fine for a 120€ phone and can somehow work with your car stereo without having to use any cables in-between) arrived today (my work place bought it for me haha ^^) and I gave it a quick listen with those IEMs and was literally blown away haha, somehow the synergy seems to be PERFECT with these IEMs with this phone. There's no hints of upper-midrange peakiness which was a huge issue from my computer or any dips or peaks for that matter, it just sounds very balanced in the mids and highs and very suitably forward for my taste, not too much (well I personally prefer rather forward mids) and certainly not too little either, just perfect. The bass is also suprisingly stronger than expected, I'm even happy listening to them just like that without even using ZO amp. The soundstage is also suprisingly good sounding off this phone, again blown away there for an IEM for this price, it instantly put a smile on my face haha. 

Did some1 ever experience such a drastic "synergy"-case where it sounds absolutely poor out of one source (colored, shouty upper-mids, bass somewhat boomy, muffling up midrange etc) to something that sounds "perfect" without any hints of those issues out of another source? O_o

Well whatever, now I can finally enjoy these IEMs! Oh and volume wise I even get standard volume levels at one step below half-way (40~45% or something like that) on the phone which seems rather great as the phones usually have limited volume in europe etc and not sounding particularly loud usually, now there was a lot more than enough volume even unamped, at full vol it would be very unlistenable/painful listen to me.

May 14, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #983 of 1,518
Quote:
Did some1 ever experience such a drastic "synergy"-case where it sounds absolutely poor out of one source (colored, shouty upper-mids, bass somewhat boomy, muffling up midrange etc) to something that sounds "perfect" without any hints of those issues out of another source? O_o

If you ever want to have perfect synergy with a portable setup try the Sony WM-Z walkman > ZO2 more people need to try this! Clarity and bass extension is unreal...mids are lovely too, very intimite sound whilst still having great soundstage!

May 14, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #984 of 1,518
OK the upper-mid peakiness is still there but to a less extent if not using ZO amps and just run it unamped, a quick EQ adjustment on PowerAMP should take care of it though. It's quite painful listening to Taylor Swift or something similar with that upper-mid peak / resonance happening (probably around 3~4kHz based on my heavy EQ experience) which makes it sound like she's growling in my ears with the higher notes (when singing with the lower notes it sound perfect though), without that issue it would sound extremly great out of box without any amp or EQ needed.

Try to listen to Taylor Swift - Love Story and see what I mean, here the vocals hit  the troublesome range very often.

May 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #985 of 1,518
Huh. I never expected RPGWizard to be the kind of person who would ever listen to Taylor Swift.
tongue.gif

May 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #988 of 1,518
No its not that she doesnt make good music. I dont mind listening to her. Its just that I didnt expect RPGWizard to listen to her songs. Seems like a pretty drastic jump from Hardstyle.
But w/e, I shouldnt assume things like that. People listen to different music and whatever they enjoy.

May 14, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #989 of 1,518
Quote:
Hey I know what you mean exactly...I was in the same position as yourself...I had the M2´s and I thought I was happy with them and then I bought the CKM50´s which were a massive step up from them /especially in the highs) and then when i first heard a CKS77 i was literally blown away, it was like the sound was coming out of some headphones rather than a pair of IEM´s that feeling of the sound being directly in your ears with the M2´s is no more, and everything is a HUGE step up from the M2´s bass is more detailed and texture mids are smoother, and the highs are in a whole new playing field! 

If you look on ebay there are some factory rejected ones for $50 or so with the same sound after LONG burn in so if you want to sav some cash go with those but DO NOT go with the Brainwavz M2´s even the CKM50 is a massive step up to those haha! CKS77 is able to compete with the big boys like TF10 and MG7 where the M2´s...well they just come nowhere close  its really that big of a difference! 

How long does that seller take to ship? Also I've never been more sold on a decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back