The ATH-CKS77.
Apr 19, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #391 of 1,518
I like them red n black ones. They ain't feminine looking in any way me thinks. Hey I have a pair of white CKS55 those look more feminine to me but I like em just because I have too many black earphones.

Doubt my friend. You have one coming to you so you will find out for yourself..The sub bass authority in both are very close..So guys that like sub bass have nothing to loose and everything to gain from trying out a CKS77. 

I think I prefer the MG7 over the MDTs by a small margin. But so far it is

CKS77>MG7>MDT...

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #393 of 1,518
I can understand why you had such a hard time picking out which one you like better. The MG7 has a much flatter response than the MDTs. A bit more honest presentation in the sound so guys that like proper balance will like the MG7 more so. The Mids and bass bump of the MDTs are more forward and the MG7s are more even sounding in this regard.

SQ wise both of these are close. The staging on the MDTs are better with better depth here as well.. I guess it is a matter of preference here but I like the more balanced and honest presentation of the MG7s a bit more so than the MDTs. I have to admit though this is tougher than comparing these 2 vs the CKS77. The imaging on the MG7 is a bit cleaner as well. Otherwise both at a very similar level of sound.

The MDTs are more musical to my ears vs a more monitor like flat presentation on the MG7s. It will just be a matter of preference to you.

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #394 of 1,518

Quote:
I can understand why you had such a hard time picking out which one you like better. The MG7 has a much flatter response than the MDTs. A bit more honest presentation in the sound so guys that like proper balance will like the MG7 more so. The Mids and bass bump of the MDTs are more forward and the MG7s are more even sounding in this regard.

SQ wise both of these are close. The staging on the MDTs are better with better depth here as well.. I guess it is a matter of preference here but I like the more balanced and honest presentation of the MG7s a bit more so than the MDTs. I have to admit though this is tougher than comparing these 2 vs the CKS77. The imaging on the MG7 is a bit cleaner as well. Otherwise both at a very similar level of sound.

The MDTs are more musical to my ears vs a more monitor like flat presentation on the MG7s. It will just be a matter of preference to you.

I find the MG7's sparkle whereas the MDT's never did.

That said the mids of the MDT's was much more upfront vs the more laid back MG7's

Speed/pace wise, the MG7's is MUCH faster paced, which is great for EDM.

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #395 of 1,518
Wait till you get these Dubbed. lol! You are just gonna love these.  In a way you can think the CKS77 as a cross between the MDTs bigger sound with even greater stage and depth and add to that the sub bass of the MG7s and even greater punch over the MDTs.. I am gonna guess that you will get yours in a few days. Barring any type of BS at the French post.

Now you mention it. I did notice better sparkle on the MG7s over the MDTs.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #396 of 1,518
Dsnuts, does the CKS77 have as much quantity mid bass as sub bass? 

Compared to the CKS77, does the sub bass on the MG7 have better quality?

What other phone can you compare to the CKS77? IE8/80, EX1000, FXT90?
I agree with your impressions of the MDT. I thought they were too thick and bassy.

Does ATH make an upgrade from the CKS77?

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #397 of 1,518

Quote:
Dsnuts, does the CKS77 have as much quantity mid bass as sub bass? 

Compared to the CKS77, does the sub bass on the MG7 have better quality?

What other phone can you compare to the CKS77? IE8/80, EX1000, FXT90?
I agree with your impressions of the MDT. I thought they were too thick and bassy.

Does ATH make an upgrade from the CKS77?

Mid bass might be too much for some. What was surprising to me was the mid bass on the MG7s was just there. Its not emphasized nearly as much as the sub bass on them. The mid bass punch is full and bold on the CKS77.  If you didn't like the thick sound presentation of the MDTs you might not like these CKS77s either. The MDTs share more similarities with the CKS77 over the MG7s. Sub bass wise both are very similar in prowess. But when I A/Bed against the MG7s the CKS77 had just a bit more tonality in the sub region. Mid bass wise the Mid bass to large sub bass is more proper on the CKS77s. The CKS77 has a much larger stage and overall sound with great detail and clarity..That is what is astounding on these. Not just the bass but everything on them.

I think as more guys get them. One by one there will be comparisons against other earphones on your list but I have no doubt these are a fantastic value and one deserving of discovery. These to me are kings at musical. And done right to boot. FlySweep nailed it on the head with his initial impressions. That is exactly how I heard it as well. Even on open box I was amazed at the sound..To be honest I have nothing in my stable that sound quite like these.

I don't know if you guys can remember the first time you went into an audio store or department and you heard your first full surround sound that just overtakes all of what your hearing... Something to the likes of that. Lol!

I recently got 2 new earphones the CKS55 and the CKS90 and both were no where near the refined version that is the CKS77.. These without a doubt in my mind are the best Solid bass earphones AT makes.. At make analytical and neutral sound as well. All their earphones for the most part are solid to great sounding.

Oh and by the way. I will be getting a pair of these here by end of this week. I have no idea how these will sound but these represent the absolute newest earphones AT makes. So new you can't buy them on ebay.  Will report back on the CKM50 thread.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #399 of 1,518

Quote:
It seems like the CKS77 are total bass kings with their mid bass and sub bass quantity equal to the sub bass quantity of the MG7. That's a lot of bass!!

Ya but here is where these get very interesting. Listen to your bass light tunes and you can shut out the world. Seriously these have authority on bass light tunes even more so than bass heavy ones. I know this sounds completely out of wack but follow me.

These have proper sound tuning. Accurate imagery and detail with a full clean sound..What makes these special is how big the sound is for one but beyond that you will be completely surrounded by your music as they have a much bigger than average soundstage in both width and an astounding amount of depth. I have nothing that have the depth of sound these do.. One of the reasons why the sound is so bold on these. On live recorded albums you will swear you are right there with the artists.

There are many earphones that are listenable but these do much more than just let you listen to your music. You will get immersed like you have never before. Just a blast to listen to your tunes with. All tunes. Not just bassy ones. Yes these have big bass but unlike other big bass earphones. These have everything else too and then add this depth and you got one special earphone for $100.. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #401 of 1,518

Quote:

I find the MG7's sparkle whereas the MDT's never did.

That said the mids of the MDT's was much more upfront vs the more laid back MG7's

Speed/pace wise, the MG7's is MUCH faster paced, which is great for EDM.

Exactly how I found the MDT. They lacked detail on the bottom and sounded too boomy on many tracks.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #402 of 1,518

Quote:
I took a chance on the the 52 dollar shipping included offer on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Audio-Technica-ATH-CKS77S-Black-Solid-Bass-Inner-Ear-Headphones-red-/160781072511?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item256f4c787f

I doubt they are fake, and if they are I paid with paypal so no problem getting my cash back.

Hope that works out.. My theory on these is that they are factory 2nds. Or slightly imperfect ones left over in the reject bins. Who cares if there is a slight imperfection. If they sound like the CKS77 they must be the CKS77s. I know BGRoberts ended up getting a pair from the same vendor. I don't think he got his yet but he has an original pair so he will be able to tell us soon if those are legit. It will be interesting if they are.. Let us know how that turns out. Always been curious to know if those are for real.. Thanks for taking one for the team as that is a risk. Good idea with the paypal tip..

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #404 of 1,518

Quote:
Total quantity bass is greater on the CKS77 Vs MDT?

Better quality too.. Big punch with solid sub bass about equal to the MG7s a bit cleaner. I did an A/B against the MDTs. No comparison on which has better cleaner sound with better detail..

But again I know you are thinking. That is too much bass and bass will take over the sound and there has to be a catch to this sound..NO catch my friend. The tuning and work that went into these earphones are clearly evident..Not lacking in any part of the sound. Nothing muffled or muddiness of any type.. Just pure audio bliss.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #405 of 1,518
Even though I knew that the bass was quite punchy on the cks77 from dsnuts review. I actually bought these to see what it brings to the normal tracks. (I am not a bass head)

I am certainly enjoys these iem on "audiophile" cd vocal tracks :)

Personally, I think these iem  works just as well without a headphone amp. So it is like perfect for people who don't like carrying a portable headamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back