The ATH-CKS77.
Apr 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #346 of 1,518

Quote:
So Ive listened to full sized headphones and I know what the bass feels like. You can feel the thump and rumble which feels pretty good. Do earphones also give you a thump you can feel?
Im just curious to know and Im having trouble understanding what it would feel like.

Yes..With these you can. They will tickle your earlobes and on the low low notes make your eyeballs shake. lol!.These bass test tracks the guys threw up recently. You can almost feel the rumble of the sub bass very similar to full sized bass heavy cans.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #347 of 1,518
Yup with more listen the CKS90 definitely lacks in the highs of the CKS77. I think the mids on the CKS77 are a tad more cleaner as well.

So I was right.. My thought was AT must have improved the CKS earphones in their newest the CKS77...

You guys got the best CKS earphone AT makes. The CKS77.  I have to admit however I would have been shocked if the older CKS90 did one better than the CKS77. The CKS55. Hmm. I would skip on those and get the CKS77.  Will take another listen on both here later.

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #349 of 1,518

Quote:
Please don't make statements like that bro...give them burn-in.
Not that I don't believe you, it's just not right IMO to give analysis before burn-in

Right. And these are just initial thoughts out of box so we will see how much these improve. . But so far I have been right. I am sure sound will be better on them with burn as my CKS77 is fully burned in vs both these..So more to come we will see what happens.

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #351 of 1,518
Quote:
@ Danny A/bed against the SHE5105. Get the SHE5105. The CKS55 lacks the clarity of the Philips earphone and the bass is a bit too boomy even for me..While the sound is bigger overall on the CKS55 the SHE5105 has better detail and control in the bass area and has the overall cleaner and better balanced  sound..These sound better for Depeche mode.  The SHE 5105 wins. If he listen to Hip hop all day than the CKS55..

Thanks mate, he ordered them now...Im sure he will be glad he didnt order beats...he was very thankful BTW :p

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #352 of 1,518

Quote:
Thanks mate, he ordered them now...Im sure he will be glad he didnt order beats...he was very thankful BTW :p

Ya unless the CKS55 change significantly for the better in sound I am not gonna give the thumbs up on them. AT had their labeling wrong.  The CKS90 should have had the label cutting edge bass. .The CKS55 should have been the one with OVERWHELMING BASS. Lol!. Way too boomy. I think he will be happy with the over all usability..Solid build and sound from the SHE5105..Let me know how he liked them once he gets them.

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #353 of 1,518
After 5 hour burn. WS55.

The sound does tighten up a bit. The mids are now cleaner and some what acceptable and the bass is a bit less boomy. Nice.But still in the boominess category.. I like them but the bass is not refined like it is on the CKS77.once you know how a CKS77 sounds it is hard to downgrade that sound. Lol!. Keep tuned. I hope these continue to improve.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #354 of 1,518

Quote:
After 5 hour burn. WS55.

The sound does tighten up a bit. The mids are now cleaner and some what acceptable and the bass is a bit less boomy. Nice.But still in the boominess category.. I like them but the bass is not refined like it is on the CKS77.once you know how a CKS77 sounds it is hard to downgrade that sound. Lol!. Keep tuned. I hope these continue to improve.

CKS55.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #355 of 1,518
you caught that. Lol! Ya I was comparing the WS55 and The CKS55. The WS55 wins here.

So far it is. CKS77>WS55>CKS90>CKS55

CKS90 Update. 5 hours burn

These have a slight V signature. These are starting to take on their own particular sound which is interesting. The mids are not as full or as engaging as the CKS77 a bit drier sounding. Imaging is just as good as the CKS77 but I still prefer the highs on the CKS77.. The number one complaint on the CKS90 was the highs or a bit lack there of.  For what is on there it is not bad but does not have the same natural extension that is on the CKS77. These have a bit lesser head stage as well. They are starting to take on the sound signature of the CKM99 But lack the cleaner sound of them. More burn and observations to come. 

At this point. The topic of this thread stays as is. The CKS77.   Is better than both CKS90 and the CKS55. I have to admit some might prefer a lesser thicker sound on these CKS90 to the CKS77.. CKS90 might interest you.. These have enough differences and good sound to be worth of the cash and with these being the older version I can see places blowing these out like the recent buydig.com deal for the CKS70s

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #356 of 1,518
What IEMs/headphones are you going to buy next?  Where do the ones that do not impress you, end up going?
basshead.gif

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #357 of 1,518

Quote:
What IEMs/headphones are you going to buy next?  Where do the ones that do not impress you, end up going?
basshead.gif

Good question. The ones that get the boot. Get the boot but when they look this nice. I will just keep em. I keep most of em. All research.
ksc75smile.gif

Another observation..AT was smart in using the round air chamber design on the CKS77 and not the bolt design that is on the CKS90.. The air chamber on the CKS90 seems restricted a bit vs the CKS55 and CKS77.. I can hear the difference in the sound reverb. So lesser depth and not as natural sounding..

The CKS90 has the least amount of bass out of the 3.Overwhelming. Lol!.

Quantity
CKS55>CKS77>CKS90

Quality
CKS77>CKS90>CKS55

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #358 of 1,518
Thanks for the review of the cks family, Dsnuts and all the nice folks :) I've been reading all the posts until now

I did tried the cks70 and cks90 sometime ago during my travel and they does not impress me much in terms of clarity, bass and roominess.

Perhaps I should give the new cks family especially cks77 another try.

Just wondering, in terms of bass quantity wise: cks55 > cks77 > cks90 ?
If just seeking for bass "quantity" or "boominess", perhaps the cks55 is a good choice?

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #359 of 1,518

Quote:
Thanks for the review of the cks family, Dsnuts and all the nice folks :) I've been reading all the posts until now

I did tried the cks70 and cks90 sometime ago during my travel and they does not impress me much in terms of clarity, bass and roominess.

Perhaps I should give the new cks family especially cks77 another try.

Just wondering, in terms of bass quantity wise: cks55 > cks77 > cks90 ?
If just seeking for bass "quantity" or "boominess", perhaps the cks55 is a good choice?

I can tell you right now. These CKS77 are what AT had in mind. These are very refined over the others The best parts of all the CKS earphones and then ups the overall quality by going with the round dome air chamber, aluminum dampening is the difference in the clarity and detail here. . Very enjoyable with full on detailed mids and highs.. I can understand why you was not impressed with the older CKS earphones. If the CKS90 represent the best of the older ones. Truth be told the CKS77 are superior in every single way I can think over them..So these are cheaper than them.. I can clearly tell the evolution of the CKS earphone line with these new earphones I got today. Both the CKS55 and the CKS90 are keepers for me..And it was because of them I can tell you guys the CKS77 is the one to get.

In the end when you find out what you first thought anyway. That makes it worth while for me.. The CKS55 if bought at $50 is a good deal as they do have the same roomy sound of the CKS77 but then again. The jump in sound quality from the CKS55 to the CKS77 is substantial and I will say it here. The CKS77 are the real deal and a fantastic value at their asking price.

I don't know it is a hard one to recommend. To be honest I think I prefer my CKM50 over the CKS55. Cleanliness in sound is important to me and these just don't have it. These sound like a detuned version of the CKS77.   The $25 JVC FX1X is a better value for bass at this cost range if bassy sound signature on the cheap is what anyone is going for. 

Just go for the CKS77.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #360 of 1,518
Well, you got me now. I'll add the cks77 to my "to buy" list for my next travel : )

Now I'll need a player to go with the cks77... I usually listen to songs through my laptop (foobar) or Sony mp3 player (3 years old model B-Series).
Just wondering if the newer portable players (Sony Z10x0 series, A86x series) contribute significantly in sound quality? Thinking to just go for tablets instead of dedicated mp3 players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back