The ATH-CKS77.
Jun 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #1,202 of 1,518
Well, just got mine earlier today. . .

First impressions (as I promised earlier in this thread) are as follows (and keep in mind the original owner claims there were already about 25 hours on these at the time of our trade):

On the basis of sound quality, these phones seem to display the absolute tightest low-end of anything I have ever heard to date. At this point, I'm not necessarily sure this is a good thing, however.

I am now going to begin the burn-in phase. My target goal is 180 hours (and I'm not counting the 25 that are supposedly already on here. I'm just starting off from ZERO).

My desire is that the low-end will losen up. There is just something about these (at this point) which just doesn't sound right. The deep, tight low-end makes them feel very restrictive, confined, and I feel clausterphobic when I listen to them.

Well, I'm hoping I haven't offended anyone here with my initial impressions of these. But I'm just telling it as I see it. No two people are going to hear these phones (or any other phones, for that matter) exactly the same way. These just might not end up being my cup of tea. And if they are not (after significant burn-in), then I'll either sell or trade them to someone else, who might appreciate them more than I do.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

PS --- Has anyone ever used pink noise on these? Or, maybe instead I should ask, what do you all ordinarily use? Just music? OK, how loud should I run that. . .these phones sure don't seem to require a lot of volume, compared to others I have owned.

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #1,203 of 1,518
These have 14 ohms vs standard 16-32 ohms meaning way more efficient. Let me ask you did you get a boxed version or a were they bought off of ebay the factory rejected pairs. The reason I ask is the oem Boxed versions are impressive on open box. There seems to be sound variations on the factory rejected pairs being sold off of ebay. 

I have a 5 hour long Drum n Bass compilation that I run off of a dedicated burn in station. I just let em rip with around 70 to 80% max volume. Fairly loud and it does the trick.

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #1,204 of 1,518
Quote:
These have 14 ohms vs standard 16-32 ohms meaning way more efficient. Let me ask you did you get a boxed version or a were they bought off of ebay the factory rejected pairs. The reason I ask is the oem Boxed versions are impressive on open box. There seems to be sound variations on the factory rejected pairs being sold off of ebay. 

I have a 5 hour long Drum n Bass compilation that I run off of a dedicated burn in station. I just let em rip with around 70 to 80% max volume. Fairly loud and it does the trick.

I honestly don't know if these were gotten off eBay or not.

I do have the original package, but without the insert. There IS a sticker on the back of the package with 12-month warranty information, but most of it is written in Chinese (I think).

The front of the box has a sticker on it in the upper-right hand corner (a triangular-shaped sticker), which says, "CUTTING-EDGE BASS". And then below that it says (in a smaller font) SUB CHAMBER MECHANISM AR

I might go and compare this box with those on eBay, just to satisfay my own curiosity.

Thanks! 

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #1,206 of 1,518
Quote:
You got a boxed pair. There is no box with the factory rejected ones..You lucked out. Commence burn in.

Cool. Thank you for that information. I really appreciate it.

I will definitely commence away --- LOL!!!
biggrin.gif

cool.gif

So, stay tuned for further impressions, to come. . .
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #1,207 of 1,518
These headphones tighten up with my Fiio E17. The bass is never boomy. Some people may perceive this as a lack of bass, but I absolutely love it. I don't EQ these puppies at all. I tried. I put the bass EQ up a few notches, but I think it robs the headphones of their beautiful midrange and micro detail. I also tried to EQ the treble down, but then it distorts the voices and makes the headphone sound "dead" or too dark. I don't hear the harsh treble that other people are hearing. I had a through hearing test a few weeks ago with an ENT and a separate Audiologist and I passed with flying colors. No hearing loss on my end on the upper frequencies. Whatever I throw at these CKS77, they just don't need EQ. I just can't understand how bassheads would want more bass with these. More bass on the EQ just hurts and sounds artificial on these phones.

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #1,208 of 1,518
Yeah, I just discovered that flatter frequencies are where these shine. I've been using Poweramp on my HTC One S with and without my Fiio E6, and have been trying for weeks to figure out how to get them to sound the way I wanted them to sound. I came up with this:

Preamp up, and then flat across the rest of the board. Previously, I've been slightly raising the very low and very high ends while leaving the mids alone. Also, I had the Beats Audio effect off, the bass knob at 50% and that stupid Stereo X effect at 100% because I didn't know what it was. They just didn't sound like $100 headphones, so I decided to get to the bottom of it. Flattened things out, turned up the preamp from 50% to 100%, changed bass, treble, and Stereo X knobs to 0% while leaving the Toning effect on, and turned Beats Audio on. Now I'm in heaven. Everything is clear as day, and the bass is still merciless. I love it! The Beats Audio effect was awful when I was experimenting with individual frequencies, and believed it to mostly be a gimmicky selling feature, but now it's actually making my tracks sound more lively. Oddly, pairing the CKS77 with my Fiio E6 while using these settings make things sound worse, which is great because that means I don't need to carry around a dinky little amp. So, anyone else using Poweramp for Android? What are your settings?

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,209 of 1,518
Quote:
So, anyone else using Poweramp for Android? What are your settings?

With Poweramp the bass boost etc all degrade the sound quite a bit! My advice is to turn all settings off including pre amp should be loud enough on default (midway) and also I found that beats audio degraded the sound too...this is all my opinion and obviously if you prefer beats audio then keep it on! 

But make sure treble, bass, stereo X etc are all off 

If you ever get bored of the interface try PlayerPro...it looks great but less EQ bands 

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,210 of 1,518
Quote:
You got a boxed pair. There is no box with the factory rejected ones..You lucked out. Commence burn in. Can I ask you. Just out of curiosity. What you trade for those?

Sorry, Dsnuts, I didn't see your question until just now. I traded a pair of Sunrise Xcape IEs (Impressive Edition) for the CKS77s.

Sorry about that, man, I wasn't ignoring you, I promise. I just didn't see your question until now
confused_face.gif

biggrin.gif

cool.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,211 of 1,518
Quote:

Sorry, Dsnuts, I didn't see your question until just now. I traded a pair of Sunrise Xcape IEs (Impressive Edition) for the CKS77s.

Sorry about that, man, I wasn't ignoring you, I promise. I just didn't see your question until now
confused_face.gif

biggrin.gif

cool.gif

What's your opinion of them now ? (77's).  The IE's are still one of my favorite earphones.  It's like the oldest earphone I still own.  

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #1,212 of 1,518
Quote:
What's your opinion of them now ? (77's).  The IE's are still one of my favorite earphones.  It's like the oldest earphone I still own.  

I'm still burning them in right now. I'm at 36 hours now, and have used about equal amount of hours doing pink noise and music ('60s, '70s, and '80s Classic Rock).

I really haven't taken the time to test them since beginning the burn-in. But I'm kind of shooting for about 180 - 200 hours.

The IEs really weren't bad at all. They were rather balanced, with a slight emphasis to the warm side (lower-mid/upper-bass warm, at least to me, anyway). I just didn't think they had as much bass and treble (sparkle) as I was looking for. I tend to favor a 'V-Shaped' sig.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #1,213 of 1,518
Quote:
I'm still burning them in right now. I'm at 36 hours now, and have used about equal amount of hours doing pink noise and music ('60s, '70s, and '80s Classic Rock).

I really haven't taken the time to test them since beginning the burn-in. But I'm kind of shooting for about 180 - 200 hours.

The IEs really weren't bad at all. They were rather balanced, with a slight emphasis to the warm side (lower-mid/upper-bass warm, at least to me, anyway). I just didn't think they had as much bass and treble (sparkle) as I was looking for. I tend to favor a 'V-Shaped' sig.

Yep I agree with your thoughts on the IE's.  I think the balanced signature is what I really like about them.  I'll wait for your impressions on the 77's when they're ready.  

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #1,214 of 1,518
Hey guys,

Just came from the CKM500 thread and I heard improvements in the soundstage of the CKM series by simply changing to a tip with larger nozzles.

The CKS77 shares the same small nozzle tips but with a thicker pipe, and I was wondering if there would be any improvement of the soundstage by fitting a tip with a bigger nozzle.

The CKM and CKS do NOT share the same tips as the CKS have got a bigger pipe, I experimented and found that the JVC's FX101's or FX40's tips would fit the CKS77 and they certainly have a large nozzle !
bigsmile_face.gif

The large nozzle JVC tips mounted on the inner position has got a better soundstage compared to the stock AT tips mounted on the outer position but they sounded strange to me, however when the large JVC tips were mounted on the outer position, I heard a vast improvement almost everwhere.

I know alot of you also have the JVCs, so I look forward to hearing your impression on this mod.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #1,215 of 1,518
Quote:
Hey guys,

Just came from the CKM500 thread and I heard improvements in the soundstage of the CKM series by simply changing to a tip with larger nozzles.

The CKS77 shares the same small nozzle tips but with a thicker pipe, and I was wondering if there would be any improvement of the soundstage by fitting a tip with a bigger nozzle.

The CKM and CKS do NOT share the same tips as the CKS have got a bigger pipe, I experimented and found that the JVC's FX101's or FX40's tips would fit the CKS77 and they certainly have a large nozzle !
bigsmile_face.gif

The large nozzle JVC tips mounted on the inner position has got a better soundstage compared to the stock AT tips mounted on the outer position but they sounded strange to me, however when the large JVC tips were mounted on the outer position, I heard a vast improvement almost everwhere.

I know alot of you also have the JVCs, so I look forward to hearing your impression on this mod.

I've been using the Meelec. single flange with the wide nozzles on the 77's.  I mainly use it for comfort.  For some reason, Sony hybrids and the Meelec clear tips feel the best for comfort for me. But the stage does get bigger and they do make the 77's sound different.  I haven't really focused on the differences or use the 77's enough to do a comparison, but I'll definitely try hearing the differences in the near future.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back