The ATH-CKS1000..
Sep 29, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #481 of 582
Great choice! While there are plenty of good contenders against these, for ~ 150 - 200 dollars they are unbeatable, imho. I am looking into buying a nfb-11.32 since I think these will definitely profit from a neutral source as apposed to the 15.32 where it has a warm sound. Anyone use these dacs with these?  I read the impressions in the threads and these things sound great for the money.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #483 of 582
I think both are comparable in sound. The XB90EX are sub bass kings..Both are nice bassy earphones but I prefer my CKS1K over both easily. I prefer the FXZ200 over both as well.

It is just my opinion but overly bassy type earphones sound great for hiphop but I like a more balanced sound with bass for my trance fix and that is what the CKS1K and FXZ200 will give you.  Both the XB90 and the Onkyos have rolled off highs and that is probably my biggest complaint of both. Trance has just as much emphasis on the higher notes as much as the bass so it is important to get all of it and having more space in your tunes also adds to the sound euphoria of good trance music. It also helps that mids have a lush smooth and a touch of warmth to them on the CKS1K as well. All these phones mentioned have a big sound but non of them are quite like the CKS1K. The CKS1K also has the depth with the big wide stage.

If you can find either the XB90 or the Onkyo phones for $100 that is a good buy but if you want one you know you will use for a long time the CKS1K gets my vote.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #484 of 582
Yet more improvement after only another 20 or so hours over a few days. Must have been experiencing some growing pains in the mids and highs when I last checked in. Now the mids have become pleasantly thick and very clear, and the highs are starting to sparkle. I have never heard such strong, present bass in combination with mids and highs this smooth. Where there were mishmashes of competing sound in the upper registers before, now there's cohesion and clarity.

Still a few weaknesses here and there and bass seems to have taken a very, very slight step back either by contrast or some physical change.to the driver. Probably getting ready to come back bigger and better than ever) but I am really loving these more and more every day.

Finding myself appreciating music I was indifferent to before due to the quality of the sound.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #485 of 582
Yup my pair is definitely getting way better day by day. Replacing the stock ear tips with auvio ones made my pair sound better, more clear, but the noise isolation isn't quite as good as before; the auvio tips are also more comfortable.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #486 of 582
  Yup my pair is definitely getting way better day by day. Replacing the stock ear tips with auvio ones made my pair sound better, more clear, but the noise isolation isn't quite as good as before; the auvio tips are also more comfortable.

stock tips are definitely no-go for me. +1 for Auvio tips, so much better all around except isolation. UE900 tips are also recommended by many others but I don't have access to them. Audio-Technica should really redesign their ear tips

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #487 of 582
I am glad you guys mentioned tips..I use Sennheiser double flange wide bore tips myself..I do think the stock tips restrict the sounds of these. Auveo tips works well. UE tips. Anything with a wider bore actually.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #488 of 582
  I think both are comparable in sound. The XB90EX are sub bass kings..Both are nice bassy earphones but I prefer my CKS1K over both easily. I prefer the FXZ200 over both as well.

It is just my opinion but overly bassy type earphones sound great for hiphop but I like a more balanced sound with bass for my trance fix and that is what the CKS1K and FXZ200 will give you.  Both the XB90 and the Onkyos have rolled off highs and that is probably my biggest complaint of both. Trance has just as much emphasis on the higher notes as much as the bass so it is important to get all of it and having more space in your tunes also adds to the sound euphoria of good trance music. It also helps that mids have a lush smooth and a touch of warmth to them on the CKS1K as well. All these phones mentioned have a big sound but non of them are quite like the CKS1K. The CKS1K also has the depth with the big wide stage.

If you can find either the XB90 or the Onkyo phones for $100 that is a good buy but if you want one you know you will use for a long time the CKS1K gets my vote.

What i like about the onyko is the rolled off highs, somewhat like the m200. xb90 is too much but it works well as it is super forgiving. cks1k tend to be bright for me, and not basshead bassy in the slightest, but they are no doubt very unique and enjoyable.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #489 of 582

CKS1000 sounds much better than the XB90. I don't even think it would take experienced ears to hear this...For trance I think FXZ200 is better than the CKS1000, only due to the sibilance factor from the 1000's. Even after burn-in, the highs were so piercing that I felt the only way to listen to this was low volume. I should mention I listen to my IEMS loud as well. I couldn't take the sharp sound that the CKS1000s had. In terms of subbass...the XB90 isn't bad...but if want a step up above...try the wooduo2's...these little wooden babies can put out, no joke...this is coming from a basshead. Rumbles with authority. The WD2 is the bassiest IEM I own, and it's probably the least expensive. (I dislike the word cheap.)

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #490 of 582
I was going to try the UE tips out but they were too pricey with shipping.
http://buy.logitech.com/store/logib2c/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryid.60213000

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #491 of 582
Try these.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Ultimate-Ears-Tips-Comply-Foam-Tips-Clean-Tool-for-Most-UE-Earphones-/250951842489?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3a6de53ab9

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #492 of 582

CKS1000 sounds much better than the XB90. I don't even think it would take experienced ears to hear this...For trance I think FXZ200 is better than the CKS1000, only due to the sibilance factor from the 1000's. Even after burn-in, the highs were so piercing that I felt the only way to listen to this was low volume. I should mention I listen to my IEMS loud as well. I couldn't take the sharp sound that the CKS1000s had. In terms of subbass...the XB90 isn't bad...but if want a step up above...try the wooduo2's...these little wooden babies can put out, no joke...this is coming from a basshead. Rumbles with authority. The WD2 is the bassiest IEM I own, and it's probably the least expensive. (I dislike the word cheap.)

This is the reason why I like the CKS1K better for trance.

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e9/100x100px-LS-e9aecbaa_mee311.jpeg[/img]
  1. treal512
  2. badge_1000.v1380826255.png
  4. offline
  1. 1,241 Posts. Joined 7/2010
  2. Location: San Marvelous

The 200s are definitely fun and currently remain as my go to basshead IEM, but the soundstage is terribly weak.

Hopefully they can improve upon that with future implementations of the Kelton design.

The big sound of the FXZ200 with 3 Dynamics in the housing limits the stage that is coming out of them. The earphones are already bulky and in order to add additional space for them drivers to breathe it would need a housing similar to the KEF M200. Which is one of the largest housings I have ever put in my ears.

One observation of the CKS1K , I know I have preached burn in and wider bore tips but I do feel there is a variation on their sound. It was strange to see these getting a gold award in a Japanese earphone catalog and the CKS1K LtD getting 2nd. Meaning there are some sound variations between these 2 units.. My pair does not have any sharp highs at all. The sparkle on my pair is amazing but as far as sharpness goes I have burned whatever that was peaky on my pair away a long time ago. I just don't hear them on my pair.

I even use my CKS1K on the DX50 which actually has a touch of treble lift in the highs. I know Wayne also has a well burned in pair and his pair does not have any treble peakiness according to Nick n Wayne.. So I know how these sound well burned in..FXZ200 sound good with the DX50 also but the CKS1K wins out for trance for me easily. It sends shivers down my spine with vocal trance. Anything atmospheric. It is crazy good on the DX50.

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #493 of 582

One observation of the CKS1K , I know I have preached burn in and wider bore tips but I do feel there is a variation on their sound. It was strange to see these getting a gold award in a Japanese earphone catalog and the CKS1K LtD getting 2nd. Meaning there are some sound variations between these 2 units.. My pair does not have any sharp highs at all. The sparkle on my pair is amazing but as far as sharpness goes I have burned whatever that was peaky on my pair away a long time ago. I just don't hear them on my pair.

I believe the reason for the difference in placing between the regular CKS1K and the CKS1KLTD was due to the pricing difference:
the LTD version was significantly more expensive than the regular CKS1000.

The ranking takes into consideration the performance-to-price ratio and, both being identical in sound, the regular version edges out in front of the LTD version in terms of value.

My 2 cents.

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #495 of 582

I feel the same way as i like to pump the volume. cks1000 can be too sharp for me because of that, even the fx700 isnt as sharp in that sense (wooduo2 are said to be somewhat harsh as well). xb90 are great for loud volumes, you can go all the way and the sound would just get better, but if you want an upgrade go for the M200. great at loud volumes and never painful. the onyko have more sparkle than both though, so its a nice middle ground with great bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back