The ATH-CKS1000..
Jun 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #391 of 582
I use Sennheiser double flange tips I bought off of ebay.. Wider bored than stock and softer too. But since we all have different shaped ears what works for me might not work so well for you so it is best to get the phones first and then experiment with what you have.. In general the bigger the sound the phones throw out the wider bore tips are what I use. The exception to that is the bassos and adagios.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #392 of 582
Worth a try, I ordered the Senn tips from ebay as well, should get here by the end of the week. I do seem to hear differently than everyone else (maybe I need to see an audiologist)...I only listened a bit, have to say I was stunned by the exciting, technicolor sound of these headphones. I did feel some information was somewhat buried in the midrange. Could just be me acclamating, certainly I've had quick 1st impressions that changed with further listening. Seems nobody else has even had close to a similar impression, early on or otherwise (the highs needing taming at first is the only negative I've noted so far). Not looking to find fault, but nothing generally is perfect, usually trade offs, even at the high end (someone gave the analogy of Mercedes vs BMW, both fine, but emphasize different aspects of car performance, so you may prefer performance-BMW-or comfort-Mercedes). If 1k's are perfect, I guess lots of $1000 ciem's are in big trouble...

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #394 of 582
Quote:
Worth a try, I ordered the Senn tips from ebay as well, should get here by the end of the week. I do seem to hear differently than everyone else (maybe I need to see an audiologist)...I only listened a bit, have to say I was stunned by the exciting, technicolor sound of these headphones. I did feel some information was somewhat buried in the midrange. Could just be me acclamating, certainly I've had quick 1st impressions that changed with further listening. Seems nobody else has even had close to a similar impression, early on or otherwise (the highs needing taming at first is the only negative I've noted so far). Not looking to find fault, but nothing generally is perfect, usually trade offs, even at the high end (someone gave the analogy of Mercedes vs BMW, both fine, but emphasize different aspects of car performance, so you may prefer performance-BMW-or comfort-Mercedes). If 1k's are perfect, I guess lots of $1000 ciem's are in big trouble...

I would burn those in further. It takes over 200 hours to really smooth out the sound. If the highs are a bit sharp they definitely need more burn in. They highs smooth out and the sound actually matures over the period of a long burn in process.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #396 of 582
Hi, thanks for spending so much time analysing these earphones.  I purchased a set which have now arrived and they are currently on burn in =)  The clarity is fantastic and they are an excellent fit for my ears, despite the odd shape.

One thing I did notice was that out of the box they seem to be lacking in low-end bass and sub-bass.  I don't think this is an isolation problem as the seal seems to be pretty good.  It could just be my taste, but is this likely to improve with burn in?  My previous earphones were Velodyne V-Pulse which were not as clear in the trebles and mids, but were acceptable, and provided a lot of bass and sub-bass at the low end which is preferable as I listen to a lot of EDM these days (primarily dubstep) =)

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #397 of 582
Hi, thanks for spending so much time analysing these earphones.  I purchased a set which have now arrived and they are currently on burn in =)  The clarity is fantastic and they are an excellent fit for my ears, despite the odd shape.

One thing I did notice was that out of the box they seem to be lacking in low-end bass and sub-bass.  I don't think this is an isolation problem as the seal seems to be pretty good.  It could just be my taste, but is this likely to improve with burn in?  My previous earphones were Velodyne V-Pulse which were not as clear in the trebles and mids, but were acceptable, and provided a lot of bass and sub-bass at the low end which is preferable as I listen to a lot of EDM these days (primarily dubstep) =)

There is no way these will put out anywhere near as much bass as the vPulse. They're focused more on bass quality than quantity.

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #398 of 582
Thank you for the info I will see how they go.  I don't mind sacrificing a little bass for better overall sound quality, I will just hope burning them in brings them more in line with my preferences.

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #399 of 582
Quote:
Thank you for the info I will see how they go.  I don't mind sacrificing a little bass for better overall sound quality, I will just hope burning them in brings them more in line with my preferences.

Check out the Audio Technica WS99 if you havn't already.  Clear upper, mid and slammin lows.  They'll put a smile on you.

edit: oh nevermind...I confused the IEM's with an open ear model.  Just burn em in and update us if you still think they are weak in the lows.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #401 of 582
Quote:
Would you be able to put a photo of them inside your ear, I want to see how much they stick out.

I was concerned about them sticking way out too, by the looks of them, but they look fine and don't sag either.  

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #403 of 582
Quote:
Got to keep my options as IEM.  I cycle everywhere and helmets are required by law over here which rules out large cans, as does daily visits to the gym =)

Fwiw, I find the bass on the cks1000's to be amazing (but, I'm not a certified basshead!).

As far as cycling is concerned, I love VSD1's for that. I wear them over ear so they stay in very well. And they are very flush so wind noise is minimal. And the bass is very adequate and they sound great.

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #404 of 582
Would you be able to put a photo of them inside your ear, I want to see how much they stick out.

As far as Iam concerned they do stick out a lot from the ears. It really is an odd shape just like JVC FXZ200, resulting somehow in an awkward fitting. Its not bad but far from ideal.Thats one of the reasons I sold mine some time ago. Too ugly and almost ridiculous in a way, but the sound is very good. For me, UE900, Westone 4r and PFE 232 are the best in comfort fitting, very light yet powerful giving the feeling theres nothing in your ears together with excellent isolation.
Of course this is my humble opinion.
My search continues...

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #405 of 582
Quote:
I was concerned about them sticking way out too, by the looks of them, but they look fine and don't sag either.  

They look sexy! The chicks at the gym love them lol. Here's an image posted in this thread somewhere (which I found on the web). Not me (I'm not that handsome):

As far as Iam concerned they do stick out a lot from the ears. It really is an odd shape just like JVC FXZ200, resulting somehow in an awkward fitting. Its not bad but far from ideal.Thats one of the reasons I sold mine some time ago. Too ugly sexy and almost ridiculously sexy in a way, but the sound is very good. For me, UE900, Westone 4r and PFE 232 are the best in comfort fitting, very light yet powerful giving the feeling theres nothing in your ears together with excellent isolation.

Fixed that for ya! 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back