The ATH-CKS1000..
Dec 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 582

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
Introducing the new ATH-CKS1000.. I felt these need their own thread and some pics.

These are the new solid bass earphones from AT. The CKS1000. AT is a company driven by sound and innovation. These earphones tote some interesting tech in that it uses a single 13mm driver but has one of the most complete sounds I have heard for a single driver iem..These are much like ATs higher end iems but obviously has the bass to go with it. The roomy sound is something that is on all the CKS line up and these are no exception. The tech for the earphones and how they achieved the sound has much to do with materials and tuning. This is what is written on the back of the box.

-Dual Chamber Mechanism AR, provides deep bass along with clear trebles and mids
-Rigid Aluminum parts eliminate unwanted vibrations to deliver powerful sound
-13mm drivers exclusively designed for ATH-CKS1000 with pure iron yoke create an entirely new rich bass experience
-2 position post maximizes sound isolation while providing a better fit
-0.8m elastomer cord with microphone and remote to answer and end calls. used for smart phones
-0.4m elastomer cord + .08 m extension cord included.

Build.
These are built for the long haul. Little extra touches like the all metal connectors adds to the overall looks of the earphones. They use the same type of cord they use for all their AT line up and that is a good thing but guys will be disappointed because they have the same issue with microphonics that was on all the previous AT earphones. Well I take that back. These actually has a bit less. It still isn't great but it is better than their previous CKS77 or CKM500.  I hope some day AT will realize how annoying microphics really is and create something that will not emit cord noise all together. I really like the included smartphone controls with mic. This little accessory means you can use that with any earphone you have. It also has a nice volume wheel on the side of the mic housing.

Sound.
The sound of these are not too far from the big wide stage of older AT CKS earphones but the main difference is the refinement in the sound. These are ATs flagship bass earphones and considering JVC as of late has been showing their own innovative designs. It seems to me AT has pulled all their resources to create the best bass earphones they can muster in these CKS1000. The sound firstly is a very balanced one. These have a similar tuning in the sound to the CKM500 in that the highs are extended and detailed but these actually have a higher end tuning in the highs. All the detail with no harshness or sibilance in the highs. I am very certain the days of sibilant too lively highs for AT is gone..The detail in the highs are actually one of the best I have heard in the dynamic..Timbre detail is certainly at a nice high level on these earphones.

The mids are deep and smooth and share a bit of the sound from the CKM99. The mids are very fluid but lack the space and imagery that multidriver iems have..I do feel this might be the area that will open up more so with burn in so I have my fingers crossed here. But for what is on there mids detail is very nicely done. Better than previous efforts from AT. So a nice update on the Solid bass mids on these. Instrument separation and imagery is nicely done. The best I have heard from the bigger sounding solid bass series..This dual air chamber does more than just give you bass. It also adds weight and fullness to the sound without any bloat of any kind. Very nicely done here. The overall sound is an expansively wide and deep one..You want your sound thick and rich yet nicely detailed these are just what the doctor ordered.

Bass..The refinements tuning and that marvelous dual air chamber is doing its magic. I don't feel these are necessarily just for bass guys as the balance in the sound is excellent. One of the better efforts here by AT. The bass end is much more dynamic over your standard bass earphones. The tonality in the bass is spot on and is much more controlled over previous CKS offerings. Again more refinement is clearly shown in the sound..Bass only has presence when called for..The quality of the bass end is one of the best. The balance this time in the bass end is much better than their previous CKS77. A seamless transition from mid to low bass. These will satisfy bass guys but beyond that I am hearing why these are the flagship CKS earphones. These have a very nicely refined sound for a single dynamic earphone.

Considering AT is up against some very stiff competition form JVC in their ground breaking FXZ earphones. I think AT has done an outstanding job with these earphones. I am impressed with the advancement in house tuning and innovative dual air chamber design..This earphone gives more than your traditional dynamic earphone cus it is a frankenstein of a design that incorporates the most of their know how in one earphone..For AT fans these earphones for the cost should not be overlooked. Yes and this one is more spendy vs the previous CKS earphones but I definitely feel it is at a good competitive price for this sound. The good news is these can be bought. Using Tenso forwarding service for less than $200. They go for around $184 now.. Ya. Don't get ripped off from ebay. Try out Tenso it works great. So with that I have them on the burn and will report back with more impressions as they burn in. Thanks for looking and as always happy listening fellas.

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 582
Some added observation. Very interesting but these actually sound much better from my Z1060. vs using my Dac/amps I have on hand. These are very easy to drive and actually has the better synergy from using my player.

IMPRESSIONS!!

Nick n http://www.head-fi.org/t/641571/the-new-ath-cks1000/420#post_9680519

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 582
Quote:
Introducing the new ATH-CKS1000.. I felt these need their own thread and some pics.

Sound.
The sound of these are not too far from the big wide stage of older AT CKS earphones but the main difference is the refinement in the sound. These are ATs flagship bass earphones and considering JVC as of late has been showing their own innovative designs. It seems to me AT has pulled all their resources to create the best bass earphones they can muster in these CKS1000. The sound firstly is a very balanced one. These have a similar tuning in the sound to the CKM500 in that the highs are extended and detailed but these actually have a higher end tuning in the highs. All the detail with no harshness or sibilance in the highs. I am very certain the days of sibilant too lively highs for AT is gone..The detail in the highs are actually one of the best I have heard in the dynamic..Timbre detail is certainly at a nice high level on these earphones.

Beautiful lookin IEM those ATH. If I had not read your review of FXZs I might fallin for these as I like CKM500 so much (thanks to you). Maybe JVCs will push ATH into developing dual dynamic IEMs in the future and send samples to you Mr Nuts. Great review, thanks for your effort.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 582
Congrats dtomo you are the first to chime in. Thanks my friend. Yes these sound like a more expansive bigger scale version of the CKM500 sound tuning if you can imagine that. The sound is a solid level above the CKM500 in refinements..Very deep and wide the sound is. Unfortunately the JVCs have stolen ATs thunder on these which is a shame. The more I listen to these the more it brings me back to why I love my AT earphones..

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 582
Yes, I can. CKM with fuller bass and better (balanced) mids and cleaner highs is what I want for my next ATH incarnation. Presentation like FXD80 would not hurt either. Now i have FXZs on sight but CKS1000 would always make me wonder.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #8 of 582
 many many thanks for the great review.i was really looking forward to it....but can u offer me one more favor and that is comparing it a bit with cks77..cause i own them and looking forward to upgrade...is it worthy?...but again thanks brother...hope to hear from u soon..tc

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 582
I am very happy to report. The sound has tightened up a bit. If these continue to improve with burn in,. These are gonna be winners for certain. The sound has a smoothness to it that I am not used to from AT..A smoother AT sound is the best way I can describe it. The mids are somewhat creamy but I feel the sound is starting to show up more. Very musical style presentation but with full forward mids. Very smooth yet clean sound with solid big punch. These do have mid bass but it ain't crazy at all. So big punch and low los sound great on these.. Hip Hop and EDM are crazy sounding on these as well..The FXZs have the better speed and tightness but this sound for a single driver is a nice achievement from AT. I am digging this sound..A much improved CKS77. The smoothness in the mids is a testament to the new driver and sound this is emitting..

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 582
Just thought you might, Clieos rec the 100PRO over the 1000, I haven't heard either.....I'm still wound up with recabled S500, I tried Moon Audio Blue Dragon, DHC is better, I have ordered wire for a hybrid cable pure stranded silver with OCC copper return, cryo treated.  Having too much fun right now to try something else.  I have created a new version of S500.  Enough OT!

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 582
Those phones cost 2X more than these. Those will have much detail I am sure..These CKS1000..Not a world beater but they are nice I am glad I got em. The sound is enjoyable and that's what I care about the most.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #15 of 582
Ouch! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back