The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Oct 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #1,666 of 1,921
Quote:
My unburned-in CKM500 itself is already miles ahead of the microphone version. And after burning-in for more than 50 hours now, the difference is not very subtle, although there is noticeably more control in the bass and highs are also more controlled. And of course, it's much better than the microphone ver. which I tried.

It's not near A-T's top end models like CK100pro, CKW1000ANV etc., but the value of the money is very good. 

Cool, thanks for comparing both versions of the ckm500s. I did not expect it to beat AT's top models, but I did hope that it would do great in its price range. The stage it presents is decent, slightly above average. The re262's stage has a bigger and deeper space than the ckm500s.
Quote:
Regarding the CKM500i pair that I had tried, that was actually my sister's personal pair that I bought for her earlier as gift, because if you did read up the earlier linked review I wrote for the ATH-CKM500i over at HardwareZone forums, you would realised that I actually bought it about a month earlier so naturally it was already quite a well burnt in pair after giving it to her. Although my sister isn't as crazy as some of us here when it comes down to this hobby of my, she usually has her IEMs plugged in to her Macbook Air probably every night because she watches alot of Youtube videos and streaming dramas and stuff like that, so even when it's not out with her during the daytime on her own iPhone 4S, it certainly gets burned in properly at night through her Macbook Air with various music or videos, although with the exception that this pair wasn't burned in with the usual White/Pink noise especially if you have yr own personal beliefs that running through your gear with such files would get yr IEM/headphones burned-in "better". But honestly I don't buy that kind of analogy or theory so do pardon me, although with my personal experience I wouldn't go as far as some people out there on Head-fi who tends to label the burning in theory as simply being snake-oil or pseudo-science, as I have indeed encountered tremendous improvements with all my gears, by getting them to go through with burn-in procedures. (usually done with a mix playlist of bassy electronic music or orchestra soundtracks as I deem fit)
Also, please kindly take note that my personal impressions of the CKM500i's that I had reviewed earlier, wasn't written plainly from a mere audition of spending with them through a short 15 mins affair, I actually spent a good 3 days with them, before making my own conclusion/judgement.
Still, do appreciate the kind gesture and your advice given earlier.

Thank you for letting me know, I did check it and it was indeed a month, but I was just thinking you were busy at the time you had with the earphones. Forgive me for believing that you had a few hours of burn-in, and thank you for reviewing the ckm500s. I knew it would not beat the higher end ATs, I just thought it'd be better than the current line up of At in your opinion. To be honest I did not enjoy the ckm500s at first, and the same thing is happening with the re262s I have right now. The mids of the ckm500s do not have the clarity of the re262's, but it does have a nice, thick, lush mids wh enough detail that definately is good for the price. Now other earphones that have the same signature for the price is beyond me, and I also thought the ckm500s had a good soundstage, which is what kind of made me a bit confused on your review. Now that I have more background, I know how much time you dedicated for this cheap earphone and am glad you did, thanks for the response.

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #1,667 of 1,921
Quote:

Cool, thanks for comparing both versions of the ckm500s. I did not expect it to beat AT's top models, but I did hope that it would do great in its price range. The stage it presents is decent, slightly above average. The re262's stage has a bigger and deeper space than the ckm500s.

No problem. Well, it wouldn't make sense if it did beat A-T's top offerings, eh? Got to agree the soundstage of these are quite good, maybe because it's open back and leaks out a whole lot of sound. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,670 of 1,921
Hello headfi family!
I have a few questions for you about my new ckm 500.I bought this headphone from amazon 1 week ago.But, I'm not sure to open box.Is ckm-500 satisfy me for electronic music ?
What you think should I buy another earphone ?

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #1,672 of 1,921
The fit really bothers me, I'm using the small tips, it seems so stiff inside my ears, monoprice 8320 fits me well but not this
confused.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #1,674 of 1,921
I definitely need to pick up a pair of these, I got a couple of questions though

First, how do these sound compared to the WS55? The way they have been described makes me think they might sound pretty similar - which would be awesome XD

And secondly, are the stock tips pretty much the same as the CKS77? I find the CKS77 to be phenomenally comfortable and so easy too get a seal with. So if the CKM500 have the same tips then I won't bother buying any others.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,675 of 1,921
Yes. Same type of tips. There are some similarities to the WS55. I like the highs and mids even better on the CKM500. The bass end the WS is better of course but these do bass well not lacking one bit.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #1,676 of 1,921
Quote:
Yes. Same type of tips. There are some similarities to the WS55. I like the highs and mids even better on the CKM500. The bass end the WS is better of course but these do bass well not lacking one bit.

Awesome! And now I know you are a big fan of the A900X, are there any similarities between those cans and these phones? Or are they two completely different monsters??

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #1,678 of 1,921
Quote:

Awesome! And now I know you are a big fan of the A900X, are there any similarities between those cans and these phones? Or are they two completely different monsters??

Think bigger scale ckm500 sound for the A900X..

Quote:
Sade - Diamond Life
Sounds sweet with these babies.

Agreed. Sade sounds perfect using these..

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #1,680 of 1,921
The MH1s are more laid back sounding with great musical detail in the upper to mid registers. The bass end is not as tight as the CKM500s I think timbre detail is better and more defined on the CKM500 as a result for me at least, overall enjoyment I still prefer my CKM500 over them but MH1s are very nice sounding iems in their own right. And is probably the kings of value for the cash right now. I don't plan on selling off my CKM500 for the MH1 let me put it that way. I know there are some guys that claim the MH1 is the best sounding iem for them having them sell off all their other more higher end iems but to me they are similar in value and ranking sound wise to the CKM500. FXD70...These 3 iems MSRP wise is very similar too. Just that the MH1s are now being sold in bulk for much cheaper which gives them the edge in value. The cord for the MH1 is truly not good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back