The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Sep 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #1,532 of 1,921
I ordered from them and all went fine!

How long did the order take to arrive? Mine was shipped last week, and the tracking number given is bogus. Also where did you ship to? And what did you order?

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #1,533 of 1,921
Quote:
Yup, same here. Mine are used exclusively with an iPhone 4 and i also have the version with the iPod controls. I also have mine jailbroken which makes the experience even better. More control over the volume and i have the volume buttons set to pause or skip to the next song with a long press.

jasonb, would you mind sharing where you purchased the 3-button iPhone version? I'm in Canada and hoping to avoid excessive customs, etc. fees.

Also, can anyone clarify what is meant when isolation has been discussed in this thread? Is this referring to the listener being able to hear external sounds when wearing / listening to these headphones or does it refer to sound 'leakage' that is audible to others when you're listening? I'm less concerned about me hearing external sounds (would actually prefer to know if someone is trying to get my attention) and more concerned about bothering co-workers when listening at the office.

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #1,534 of 1,921
an ebay auction like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-Inner-Ear-Headphones-ATH-CKM500i-RD-Red-/380462080792?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item58954ea318#ht_547wt_1151
Quote:

jasonb, would you mind sharing where you purchased the 3-button iPhone version? I'm in Canada and hoping to avoid excessive customs, etc. fees.

Also, can anyone clarify what is meant when isolation is discussed? Is this referring to hearing external sounds when wearing / listening to them or sound 'leakage' that is audible to others when you're listening? I'm less concerned about me hearing external sounds (would actually prefer to know if someone is trying to get my attention) and more concerned about bothering co-workers when listening at the office.

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,535 of 1,921
Thanks Dsnuts for recommending these CKM500s. I prefer them over my single BA driver Sleek SA6s (which sound thin and small in comparison, without offering much more details).

These CKM500s sound full and big (more like 40mm drivers as opposed to IEMs). They also offer good wearing comfort, sufficient details and excellent tonal balance.

CKM500s' tonal balance is similar to that of my custom Westone ES3Xs, although CKM500s do not offer the same level of realism/details or soundstage depth. But that is more of a praise instead of criticism, considering that CKM500s cost 90% less. I read another owner in this thread who compared CKM500s to Westone ES3Xs. I don't know how he did it, but keep in mind that it is very difficult to volume match custom IEMs vs. universal non-isolating IEMs. They have different sensitivity rating as well (105 db/mw vs 124 db/mw). Given the same volume setting (i.e., power) from the same MP3 player, Westone ES3Xs will sound a lot louder (thus seemingly a lot better) than CKM500s.

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #1,536 of 1,921
I liked the CKM500 more than the SA6 too, but only because the CKM500 has better top end extension. I prefer the GR01 over them both now though. 
Quote:
Thanks Dsnuts for recommending these CKM500s. I prefer them over my single BA driver Sleek SA6s (which sound thin and small in comparison, without offering much more details).

These CKM500s sound full and big (more like 40mm drivers as opposed to IEMs). They also offer good wearing comfort, sufficient details and excellent tonal balance.

CKM500s' tonal balance is similar to that of my custom Westone ES3Xs, although CKM500s do not offer the same level of realism/details or soundstage depth. But that is more of a praise instead of criticism, considering that CKM500s cost 90% less. I read another owner in this thread who compared CKM500s to Westone ES3Xs. I don't know how he did it, but keep in mind that it is very difficult to volume match custom IEMs vs. universal non-isolating IEMs. They have different sensitivity rating as well (105 db/mw vs 124 db/mw). Given the same volume setting (i.e., power) from the same MP3 player, Westone ES3Xs will sound a lot louder (thus seemingly a lot better) than CKM500s.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #1,538 of 1,921
The brookstones definitely isolate less. They barely isolate at all. The CKM are also vented so isolation isnt huge with them either. 

I havent gotten around to doing an A/B session, but they do have the same general sound signature. Both are a bit bass heavy, neither are analytical. From memory the brookstones have a flatter bass response and a more even mid range, but in terms of detail and top end extension the CKM500 wins. Build quality on the CKM500 is better overall with thicker wire and better strain reliefs. The CKM500 also has an L jack while the Brookstones use a straight jack, i hate straight jacks. For a while i was blown away by the top end extension on the CKM500, and compared to the Brookstones this is really the biggest difference. Now that i have heard something truly neutral (GR01) the treble on the CKM500 doesnt seem so special anymore. They are both in the $50-$60 range, i think the CKM500's would be easier to sell used if you tried them and didnt like them. I really dont see the point in reselling the Brookstones, they dont seem all that popular and would probably never sell used for half the price of a new pair.
Quote:
^ jasonb,
How do you like the Brookestone DD vs. CKM500s sound-wise? And which set isolate less? Thank you.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #1,541 of 1,921
Quote:
just like to ask a quick one, how is the ckm500 compared to a vsonic gr02 bass edition?

For me, the CKM500 is better (Bass, and highs), GR02 Bass Edition compares more to the CKM300 and it's a tough choice deciding which is better.

CKM300 has slight advantage in Bass (U shape sound) GR02 has slight advantage in Mids (more balance)

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,542 of 1,921
They are a quite a bit different sounding. The only area where the CKM500 really wins is in terms of bass quantity, and that is still up to the individual whether or not more bass quantity is good or bad. The GR01 bass is perfect for me and the GR01 is at least equal or better in every other area. 

Bass: The GR01 has less bass quantity but has much better bass quality. It's faster in terms of decay time, and flatter in terms of response. There is a very gentle roll off in the sub-bass on the GR01, but it's not bad at all. It still digs surprisingly deep and is also punchy when called for. On the GR01 there is also just a very slight touch of warmth, but the mid-bass never bleeds into the mids. The CKM500 to me had a bit of a bloated mid-bass and would very often bleed into the mids. Some songs seemed fine, others it seemed to bleed into the mids and ruined the experience for me.

Mids: The GR01 excels greatly here. To me it sounds ruler flat in the mid-range, I hear no noticeable peaks or dips. The mid-range reminds me of the SA6, but with better dynamics and a bit more attack, exactly what I was looking for. The CKM500 mid-range to me sounds a bit odd and I can't quite place my finger on it. It seems like there is a dip somewhere in the response, but I can't attach a number to it. Sometimes its noticeable, sometimes its not. Sometimes it sounds great , sometimes it seems like something is missing. I wouldn't call the mids recessed though, even though some people have. The mid-range just isn't as smooth as the GR01. 

Highs: This is the reason I bought the CKM500. I kept reading reviews and people were all talking about how extended and detailed the top end is. I was very interested since this is one area where I found my old SA6's to be lacking. The top end on the CKM500 is very good, but the GR01 still beats it. I'd say in terms of overall response they are fairly even, neither is really that much brighter or darker. The top end on the GR01 is just as extended, if not maybe a tad more, but Is somehow even more detailed, sparklier and clearer. I thought the CKM500 top end was great while it was my main IEM, but the GR01 is even better. 

Soundstage/Imaging/Instrument Separation: Right from the start I was always quite impressed with the Soundstage of the CKM500. Width was good and depth was acceptable. The GR01 seems to be just as wide, but with a bit better depth. Imaging and instrument separation is clearly better on the GR01. Each instrument is definitely more distinct on the GR01. 

Isolation: GR01 wins by a mile. Isolation is almost as good as an ety or the SA6 when using a double flange tip. 

Comfort: The CKM500 can be very comfy, but for me the GR01 can be worn longer without bothering my ears. They are still not quite as comfy as the SA6's or the S4's were, but not bad at all. Sometimes the wider nozzle of the CKM500 would bother me after an hour or so. 

To sum it up: CKM500: natural and balanced (maybe a very slight v-shape) with low/moderate isolation, GR01: neutral/flat and analytical, while still not being cold like an ety hf3/hf5 with good isolation. The CKM500 are best with bassy hip/hop and electronic music or if you like the rest of your music bassy in general I guess, GR01 are good with pretty much anything, some may say bass light with certain genres, but I think they are still fine with electronic music.

Also, for those that don't know, The Rockit Sounds R50 supposedly sounds pretty much identical to the GR01 but at a much cheaper price. The R50 accessory pack isn't quite as good though, and uses a straight plug instead of an L plug, oh and also the R50 can only be worn over the ear with memory wire.  

*Edited for typos, and extra info.
Quote:
Hi jason, are you able to give another more detailed comparison between the ckm500 and the gr01?

Thanks

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #1,543 of 1,921
Oh okay, thanks for the very detailed writeup!

I've had to send back 2 EPH-100s, I use my ckm500s full time now.

I find the bass not as good as the EPH-100s, there might be more but it lacks that little thump and the bass is also not as clear and precise. 

The ckm500s also are quite fatiguing in my opinion when played at a high volume.

I also found the soundstage to be better on the EPH100s, now that you've mentioned that the GR01s have better soundstage than the CKM500s, It's quite appealing as I heard from someone else that the soundstage on the gr01s aren't too good. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #1,544 of 1,921
Quote:
Oh okay, thanks for the very detailed writeup!

I've had to send back 2 EPH-100s, I use my ckm500s full time now.

I find the bass not as good as the EPH-100s, there might be more but it lacks that little thump and the bass is also not as clear and precise. 

The ckm500s also are quite fatiguing in my opinion when played at a high volume.

I also found the soundstage to be better on the EPH100s, now that you've mentioned that the GR01s have better soundstage than the CKM500s, It's quite appealing as I heard from someone else that the soundstage on the gr01s aren't too good. 

Interesting. Ive never heard any complaints on the GR01 soundstage. Its not huge, but its not below average either. Compared to the CKM500 its close in size. Its not non existant like the ety hf3/hf5. 

The CKM500 can definitely be tiring at high volume, so can the GR01 or any of its twfk brothers. The CKM500 actually taught me how to listen at a lower volume and actually enjoy it. I also listen at a low to moderate volume with the GR01. I think they are just better at low to moderate volume anyway.

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #1,545 of 1,921

Users who are viewing this thread

Back