The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Aug 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,517 of 1,921
Yeah I think that might be an annoyance for me, regardless if it comes with the extra 0.6m extension. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that feature not for runners who would wear a Sansa clip or ipod Nano to their sleeve?

I think it's an interesting feature, but one I'm not particularly fond of. Especially if the wiring or plating goes, or it becomes loose.

I guess I'll judge it when I use it. Might come in handy for untangling, but I'm concerned about wear and tear too.

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #1,518 of 1,921
i found it pretty resistant. and to my surprise i liked using it w/o the extension. never tried ;em for running, though
but the great sound makes up for all its "cons" if any

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #1,520 of 1,921
Quote:
Mine showed up today.  Doing the ritual burn-in over the next few days for requisite QC, etc.  

So far loving the lack of isolation and they are doing quite well at around 30-32dB.  They utterly fail the finger snap test which is perfect!  I can hear and understand the news on TV which measures about 40dB at my location w/ my meter.

Sorry for quoting such an old post, but that is exactly what I want. I am looking for IEMs that do NOT isolate. Need to hear wife talking or at least know she is trying to talk to me. Have isolating customs already.

For references, the isolation that VMODA V-80s or Koss KSC75s provide is the maximum amount that I can tolerate (I need <12 db, as little as possible without losing bass). I had Yuin PK1s before but feel that they lack deep bass and are too hard to drive.

Will these isolate LESS than Sony MDR-EX700s / EX1000s? How about compare to JVC FX500s? Thanks!

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #1,523 of 1,921
Hi, I am very interested in these and am looking at ordering them to replace some rapidly deteriorating NE-7Ms. I want to give Canada customs a call so I know what to expect as far as additional fees. Can someone advise where the CKM500 is manufactured? Thanks

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #1,524 of 1,921
Quote:
Hi, I am very interested in these and am looking at ordering them to replace some rapidly deteriorating NE-7Ms. I want to give Canada customs a call so I know what to expect as far as additional fees. Can someone advise where the CKM500 is manufactured? Thanks

You're making things a lot more complicated than they should be. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #1,526 of 1,921
Are these still the best choice in the price range, or is something new that bests them? How is the jvc fdx80? Though it costs more, I don't think it costs much more.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #1,527 of 1,921
When I first got these IEMs about a month ago, I was disappointed by their sound quality. I've always had headphones or earbuds and was not used to in ear monitors at all. I couldn't get any of the 4 stock tip sizes to fit my ears comfortably. So I decided to burn them in for 20 hours before I really took a listen to them. From then on, I just forced myself to use them, instead of my shure srh-440 headphones. Fast forward to now and I stopped using my shures completely. I took a listen to them since then, but they sound so boring, flat, distant and completely lacking in bass now.
I happened to be on a trip in Japan when I read this thread and I tried to find the cheapest place where they were on sale. I found them on Yahoo auctions (basically an eBay in Japan) and I managed to be the maximum bidder for a brand new pair of the white ckm500 at 3100 Japanese yen. (plus 200 yen shipping). For those of you wondering, 3100 Japanese yen is about 41 us dollars. I was planning on buying 3 or 4 more of them and then sell them to you guys on headfi at a discounted price, but since I wasn't so happy with them in the beginning, i decided not to do so. I am extremely satisfied with these IEMs and I now carry them wherever I go, something which I could not do with my big bulky shures. Now I am planning to sell the shures since I don't use the, anymore and next time dsnuts finds some excellent value for the price headphones, I'll be sure to get them.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,528 of 1,921
Sure. Look into the new JVC HA-S500. Excellent. Also a new Japanese product. Fantastic portable cans. They also need a good 200 hours of burn in but sound fantastic and cost about the same as these CKM500s.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,529 of 1,921
How is the build quality compared to ckm77? Plastic body vs metal. Right? Just can't find much info on these set. Thanks!! ☺☺☺

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #1,530 of 1,921
Uhm... I'm a little worried.

I ordered these from ebay seller dzone2 - a Hong Kong seller with very reasonable prices (ATH-M50 @ $136 CAD, and CKM500 @ $58 CAD), and free shipping- and after waiting a few days (maybe not long enough) I decided to google dzone2 and see if anyone has any problems with fakes from them. Well I got mixed results, with most people not commenting on the product, but lack of service.

Has anybody ordered from dzone2 on ebay? If not, can anybody maybe help releive my anxiety on this subject? Either for or against them in legitimacy, it doesn't matter, I just need peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back