The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Aug 4, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #1,428 of 1,921
Picked these up of a local forum member - and then passed them onto my older brother who had broken his Jays that I got him for Christmas.

I expect that I will get them back unused as he turned around and bought the Bose Noise Cancel ling folding Over Ear number. So I am looking forward to compering them with my Audiofly AF56 - which are very nice (except the microphonics .... pretty fabric wrap but what were they thinking!)

Wormwood

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #1,429 of 1,921
Quote:
Picked these up of a local forum member - and then passed them onto my older brother who had broken his Jays that I got him for Christmas.

I expect that I will get them back unused as he turned around and bought the Bose Noise Cancel ling folding Over Ear number. So I am looking forward to compering them with my Audiofly AF56 - which are very nice (except the microphonics .... pretty fabric wrap but what were they thinking!)

Wormwood

I don't know about your Audioflys so I can't compare, but the microphonics on the ckm500s are not that great either. But the amazing sound they produce kind of just make up for such a little problem 
rolleyes.gif

If the 500s fit you well then I'm sure you'll have a good time hehe. Enjoy!

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,430 of 1,921
It's times like these I wish I had a Sansa Clip or a Rockbox-able iPod. The mid-bass is just too pushy for rock music, it pushes out the details that are hiding behind it. If the next iteration of this series is as huge of a jump as the Ad700 to the Ad900 then these will be astonishing. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #1,431 of 1,921
Ill probably keep them around for electronic music, but i ordered a pair of Vsonic GR01's for rock and metal music. I sometimes feel the same about the bottem end on the CKM-500. Hopefully the GR01 has the same midrange and top end qualities as the CKM-500. Hopefull ill have the GR01's early this coming week.
Quote:
It's times like these I wish I had a Sansa Clip or a Rockbox-able iPod. The mid-bass is just too pushy for rock music, it pushes out the details that are hiding behind it. If the next iteration of this series is as huge of a jump as the Ad700 to the Ad900 then these will be astonishing. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #1,432 of 1,921
just wondering, can the ckm500 be improved even more with some amping? the sound is already freakingly crazy, but that's why i'm even more intrigued how much better it can get 

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,433 of 1,921
Yes.

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,434 of 1,921
These are very sensitive. The only way an amp will improve them is if the amp you use colors the sound in a way you prefer. 

With them plugged into the headphone jack on my iPhone 4 i never need to exceed the halfway mark, so they are plenty easy to drive. 
Quote:
just wondering, can the ckm500 be improved even more with some amping? the sound is already freakingly crazy, but that's why i'm even more intrigued how much better it can get 

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #1,437 of 1,921
Alright that's good to hear, i currently have the m3's but i'm looking for the next step up without spending 150-180 on a GR07 which was what i was llooking at before. Would you say that it's slightly more musical and has more midrange than the m3? is it also faster? those were my only real complaints with the m3

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #1,438 of 1,921
never heard the M3's but i did have the M2's for a while. the CKM-500 are way better than the M2. The CKM are much more neutral and clear, but at the same time are still fun. 

lately i feel the CKM-500 are to bassy for most of the music i listen to. either they got bassier as they broke in or my taste in bass is still continuing to decrease. in this case i think it's a combination of both. i listen to mostly progressive rock and metal and for most of the recordings i listen to these now seem to have to much bass. it's not always to the point of messing up the mid-range, but just enough to very often get in the way. i really hope my GR01's come tomorrow and i really hope they are everything i want them to be for rock/metal. i can see myself still using the CKM-500's for electronic music though as they really do work well for those genres. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #1,440 of 1,921
just got my black one after 3 weeks shipping from Ebay... @@. right out of the box they're so amazing. compare with my AD900 the CKM500 get about 8/10 in mid + treble, but the bass is more amazing, and it's also more fun than AD900. i'm using it with the M-size of sony hybrid, this is the 1st time I use an inear headphone, it is not so comfortable compare with earbud :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back