The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Aug 1, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #1,411 of 1,921
Quote:
Oh wow for the gym. These are too nice to use at the gym to be honest. These wont fall out at all and you can use them at the gym but the microphonics on the cable would ruin any type of good sound you would get from these. You would have to wear them over ear. For the gym I recommend something like a JVC  FX40 as a great alternative or a FX101 if you like your big sub bass and use these casually.

The thought of sweating all over these just don't sit right with me. Lol. I know these aren't an expensive set of earphones but I treat them like they are expensive earphones cus they sound like expensive earphones. Get your self a FX40. Very great sound for not much money, small and easy to use with almost no microphonics.. 

The FXD80 and the CKM500 are completely different flavors so I don't think these are competing with each other for the type of sound. The CKM500 are tuned more like a full sized headphone in sound.  These have the bigger fuller deeper sound than the FXD80. The FXD80 is more for picking off details and getting lost in the imagery.  Guys that want a fuller sound presentation from the FXD80 will like the CKM500 more so. Guys that want more of a detail oriented sound will like the FXd80 more.. Some music just sounds better on my CKM500 while some sound better on the FXD80.. I do find the CKM500 to have the more versatile tuning over the FXD80. Both are worthy of having in the collection for certain.

@Dsnuts

Thanks so much.

Now I need to choose one between the CKM500s and Ety HF5.
Could you please help?
I am not sure how the HF5s sound like. I remember trying some pair of Etymotics of a friend in the past (I think it was ER6), I found them to be quite lacking in bass.
I would like a little tighter and punchier bass as long as they do not overpower the mids. But I liked the mids on the Etys a lot.
Do not get me wrong! I love the details on the FXD80s. My problem is it feels like the bass overpowers the mids a bit. especially for Jazz and classical.
But they sound great for rock. 
I need a pair that sound good for all three genres (rock, jazz, classical) of music.Could you give your suggestions?
I might even buy two pairs if I can not find a sigle pair that fits all three genres. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,412 of 1,921
You should go for the Etys. The CKM500 have even a stronger bass presence over the FXD80 so it looks like you are looking for an earphone with highs n mids with not much bass. That being said I love me some Jazz on my CKM500 and rock is the best on these as well..Classical sound great on these to. Again very versatile earphones. But if you hate the low end to have any type of presence go for the Etys.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,413 of 1,921
Quote:
You should go for the Etys. The CKM500 have even a stronger bass presence over the FXD80 so it looks like you are looking for an earphone with highs n mids with not much bass. That being said I love me some Jazz on my CKM500 and rock is the best on these as well..Classical sound great on these to. Again very versatile earphones. But if you hate the low end to have any type of presence go for the Etys.

I felt that the Ety ER6 has very weak bass even with a good seal. Since the HF5s are very similar in signature I might not consider them.
I do like the sub bass presence. What I do not like is when the mid bass overpowers the mids.

Now I am considering either the CKM500s or the GR07 MKII. 
I am almost decided on the GR07s. What is you opinion? Will they be the better choice for my favorite genres?

I am a big fan of the ATH-M50s. Any IEM with a similar sound signature will be amazing!
Thanks a lot for your time.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #1,414 of 1,921
I have not heard the CKM500 personally, but I own the GR07 MK2.

The CKM500 are more dynamic, which puts them at an advantage for rock. However, I feel that the GR07 will win for jazz and classical with its more balanced signature and wide soundstage. It also does cymbal crashes like nobody's business. It should also stay put better, as the cable is routed over-ears.

This all being said, I'd expect you to be very happy no matter what you choose.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #1,415 of 1,921
I own the older GR07 and not the newer MK2s which fixed the lower treble spike the older version had. My GR07 don't get much use to be honest. They are great earphones but I prefer both my CKM500 and the FXD80 over them.. But based on what you want out of your sound the GR07 does not have any type of hump at all with a nice sub bass extension. Might be more what your looking for..While the CKM500 is not a bass heavy iem they do have a full bass end which is not what your looking for. I don't think the mid bass overtakes any other part of the sounds on the CKM500 but these do have more bass over the GR07s.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #1,416 of 1,921
I use mine at the gym. Im careful with them and im also not really gyming it hardcore. I pretty much just power walk it on the treadmill so they arent getting drenched in sweat or anything. 

My biggest complaint with these is that i sometimes wish they had better isolation, and sometimes i wish they had just a tiny bit less bass. I doubt ill be replacing these altogether but im tempted to try the RockIt R-50's.
Quote:
Oh wow for the gym. These are too nice to use at the gym to be honest. These wont fall out at all and you can use them at the gym but the microphonics on the cable would ruin any type of good sound you would get from these. You would have to wear them over ear. For the gym I recommend something like a JVC  FX40 as a great alternative or a FX101 if you like your big sub bass and use these casually.

The thought of sweating all over these just don't sit right with me. Lol. I know these aren't an expensive set of earphones but I treat them like they are expensive earphones cus they sound like expensive earphones. Get your self a FX40. Very great sound for not much money, small and easy to use with almost no microphonics.. 

The FXD80 and the CKM500 are completely different flavors so I don't think these are competing with each other for the type of sound. The CKM500 are tuned more like a full sized headphone in sound.  These have the bigger fuller deeper sound than the FXD80. The FXD80 is more for picking off details and getting lost in the imagery.  Guys that want a fuller sound presentation from the FXD80 will like the CKM500 more so. Guys that want more of a detail oriented sound will like the FXd80 more.. Some music just sounds better on my CKM500 while some sound better on the FXD80.. I do find the CKM500 to have the more versatile tuning over the FXD80. Both are worthy of having in the collection for certain.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #1,417 of 1,921
Bass on mine evened out and Comply now isolates and doesn't do much sonic harm.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #1,418 of 1,921
Sometimes when I first put these in I find them to have just a tad to much bass, sometimes they just seem a tad bloated. I just ordered up the Vsonic GR01, we will see how they compare. I'm going to guess that they have less bass, and isolate better. Other than that I'm not sure how they will actually compare. I just hope they still have enough bass and have the same sparkle that the CKM-500's have up top. If I don't like the GR01's i'm sure I can sell them here on head-fi for just barely less than what I paid($183 shipped). I chose the GR01 over the RockIt Sounds R-50 even though it costs more for a few reasons. This may sound silly but I really hate straight jacks, and the GR01 has a nice short 90 degree jack while the R50 has the straight jack. The GR01 also has a huge tip selection, while the R-50 only comes with 3 basic pairs of tips. I like the idea of the R-50 having the ear gliders, maybe I can get a pair elsewhere and use them with these? I'll compare once I get them.

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #1,421 of 1,921
Quote:
Where might one acquire a pair of these devices? Amazon has them from a source in Japan for $87 shipped. Any other closer and/or cheaper options? TIA

Get them from Japan.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #1,424 of 1,921
Quote:
I have not heard the CKM500 personally, but I own the GR07 MK2.

The CKM500 are more dynamic, which puts them at an advantage for rock. However, I feel that the GR07 will win for jazz and classical with its more balanced signature and wide soundstage. It also does cymbal crashes like nobody's business. It should also stay put better, as the cable is routed over-ears.

This all being said, I'd expect you to be very happy no matter what you choose.

Uh, what?

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #1,425 of 1,921

Users who are viewing this thread

Back