The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jul 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #1,396 of 1,921
Thanks Dsnuts, I am a bit jumpy about what comes next after CKM500. I really like the sound sig.  So I was thinking about getting CKM99, but i'd better wait then. BTW would a basshead like CKM500 enough ?? This has good bass but I think it's quite tame after burn in, which is good for me. Bassheads would want more, a lot more.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #1,397 of 1,921
These have a solid bass end but I don't feel they are too bass heavy. There are other earphones for that I suppose. I think AT has done a masterful job of creating a very versatile sound on these earphones.. These do better for all genres I listen to which is a huge variety better than any other earphones I have actually. Even on bass heavy hip hop tracks these hit the right sub bass note and then I can switch off to some Jazz and get the full detailed sound from whatever I am listening to.. This is the main reason why these will always have a home with me. It is the one earphone I can just throw on my Sony Dap and just enjoy everything I have.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #1,399 of 1,921
Isolation is not good on these as they have vents on the back end where the air chamber meets the housing. Nothing some mid louder safe sound levels don't fix though. They don't throw out much sound when in your ears.  Anyone try Complys on these for a bit better isolation? It is the sound on these that make them worth getting over their isolation.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,400 of 1,921
Quote:
Isolation is not good on these as they have vents on the back end where the air chamber meets the housing. Nothing some mid louder safe sound levels don't fix though. They don't throw out much sound when in your ears.  Anyone try Complys on these for a bit better isolation? It is the sound on these that make them worth getting over their isolation.

I tried comply 400/500 to improve the seal and it did. Another one that seals for me is Monster small white foams. I haven't attempted to see how they stop sound from invading, but the seal is the deal. Sensaphonics test gives me a good balance between the high note and the low. Deep low. I guess I'll eventually see what happens in a noisy environment, but this will probably be as good as it gets for me.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #1,402 of 1,921
Quote:

agree. they have a so full and fwd sound (and way even more with some EQ) that it overcomes the lack of isolation

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #1,403 of 1,921
Quote:

@Dsnuts

Can one use them during workouts at the gym? Will they fall off.
I just bought the JVC FXD80s. How woud you compare them to the CKM500s?

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #1,404 of 1,921
Oh wow for the gym. These are too nice to use at the gym to be honest. These wont fall out at all and you can use them at the gym but the microphonics on the cable would ruin any type of good sound you would get from these. You would have to wear them over ear. For the gym I recommend something like a JVC  FX40 as a great alternative or a FX101 if you like your big sub bass and use these casually.

The thought of sweating all over these just don't sit right with me. Lol. I know these aren't an expensive set of earphones but I treat them like they are expensive earphones cus they sound like expensive earphones. Get your self a FX40. Very great sound for not much money, small and easy to use with almost no microphonics.. 

The FXD80 and the CKM500 are completely different flavors so I don't think these are competing with each other for the type of sound. The CKM500 are tuned more like a full sized headphone in sound.  These have the bigger fuller deeper sound than the FXD80. The FXD80 is more for picking off details and getting lost in the imagery.  Guys that want a fuller sound presentation from the FXD80 will like the CKM500 more so. Guys that want more of a detail oriented sound will like the FXd80 more.. Some music just sounds better on my CKM500 while some sound better on the FXD80.. I do find the CKM500 to have the more versatile tuning over the FXD80. Both are worthy of having in the collection for certain.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,410 of 1,921
Oh yea I recommend these to everyone that loves music. This is one of those earphones that sound so great for all your tunes you have to have one in your collection. The more you use them the better they sound too. They do get better and better to the point where sound nirvana can be achievable. Lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back