The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 25, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #1,081 of 1,921
I ordered 2x ckm500s a couple Weeks ago from cdjapan. At the time, they had the "estimated delivery time 2-4 Weeks" message. I still ordered them andit took 7days after ordering for it to reach my house. No action except my payment being completed for the first 4 days, then they were shipped out on the 5th day, and arrived on the 7th. I remember someone posting that Wyatt they do is aftergetting the order, they run out and get the item for however long it takes then. Then they ship it out. I can't be 100% sure though, maybe they have changed it up.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #1,085 of 1,921
please don't take this in a bad way,

Just a first world problem rant haha. 

The reviews are actually immensely helpful. Without these it would be impossible to distinguish one in-ear from another. 
It's very hard to put in words how something sounds, and I think everyone here does a great job at it.

However from a consumer point of view...there are too many quality ones to choose from!

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,086 of 1,921
Quote:
please don't take this in a bad way,

Just a first world problem rant haha. 

The reviews are actually immensely helpful. Without these it would be impossible to distinguish one in-ear from another. 
It's very hard to put in words how something sounds, and I think everyone here does a great job at it.

However from a consumer point of view...there are too many quality ones to choose from!

Your right. Headfi is packed with so many I would like to say best of the best. We try our best to describe how we hear it in order to convey what we hear for others to soak in. It is just a matter of what type of sound one prefers to try out a certain product.

It is hard to go from one thread to another as all of them rave about a particular product which is made even more difficult when there is new stuff that comes out just about every day it seems..Jokers thread is one of the best resources we have here at headfi and his thread alone has helped so many people. There are more that he does not cover and that is where these new earphones come in.  There is more of a risk in trying out a product that is new to the scene but with new comes more advances in tuning and in this case. Generations of CKM earphones that AT has made over the years all represented in the CKM500.

Eventually it will just come down to trying it out and seeing if you like it..

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #1,087 of 1,921
So i've been testing these some more and sound is really good. HUGE improvement outta nowhere. It seems like my 1st Franz Ferdinand album is kinda bad. I tested songs from the album and the songs all sound lacking. I tested Franz' second and third album and they sound awesome :)

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,089 of 1,921
The FXD80 is more vented by design I wouldn't say it has a closed sound the vented sound design does give much air to the sounds yet they don't have a small stage but I wouldn't say wide either. Well that is until they get amped. I like how they sound stock sound wise but man they absolutely shine when amped. 20 Ohms so not as efficient as the CKM500s. Amped they take on a whole new level of sound. But then again the CKM500 amped  throws another level as well so both have been very enlightening for me. Add to that the recent Meelec tip find and it just throws an added plus for the CKM500.

The CKM500 does drive much easier on portable sources and has the overall bigger thicker wider sound by far which is what makes the CKM500 so engaging more closer to a headphones type sound vs the clean precise sound of the FXD80.  Imaging and detail of the FXD80 are hard to beat. The whole micro HD driver tech is serious business. Think speed and precision of a BA with the bass end of a dynamic and one might get the idea of what we are talking about here and that is using one smallish Carbon nanotube micro hd driver.. I know there are dual or triple driver configurations that are going for this type of sound. But JVC managed to do it with one tiny driver. Which will get the attention of one Audio Technica and many other manufacturers in Japan. Sony better pay attention.I bet they are not too happy about JVCs newest.

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,090 of 1,921
great!!! thanks for the comparision
beerchug.gif

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,091 of 1,921
The tips got ordered, going to burn-in ckm500s all night and then tomorrow I'll give my take on all my earphone collection. I LOVE the thick cable they used on this ckm500, almost like the ck10s but less beautiful. I still do fear how the cable will react when weight and pressure is on the cable, but eh. I don't mean pulling cables either, just if a chair accidentally went on the cable.

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #1,092 of 1,921

I received the little brother CKM300's today.  Really impressed right now w/o any burn.  Can definitely tell it's the same family.  If the 500's get a 10 rating, I'd say the 300's would get a 9 from me.  It's just a notch below on everything the 500's have.  I actually like the treble more on the 300's because I detect no sibilance at all that I hear on the 500's.

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #1,093 of 1,921
I like the FXD80s a lot and I feel they are special earphones for sure and I will definitely recommend them to guys that are curious about the newest edgiest tech out of Japan.  But I have to admit I am more of a fan of the CKM500 for it's ease of use and also being more of my sound style.. The negatives are as follows.

You guys should know the CKM500. Short cord. People love it or hate it. Microphonics which is standard on all AT earphones I think and the stiff plasticy tips on them.

On the FXD80. I have to fidget with the earphones much in order to get a good seal.. The 3 tips included are not enough. They forgot the 2 more tips going from small to medium to large. The tip size variation is drastic. There are some guys that have to use Complys as the stock tips just don't cut it for them.. These are gun metal so they are much heavier than the CKM500. Harder to drive and need a complete 100-200 hours of burn before they sound correct.. At least with the CKM500 you guys get 95% of the sound on open box..Lol. You guys should have heard what the FXD80s sounded like on open box. We are talking detached highs and a scooped out mid section. I was thinking there is no way these are gonna sound like these. But I wasn't sweating about them as I knew they just need a proper burn in. AS they are now. They do have a very nice detailed high end sound.

@Danny. I don't know if you read the last few pages of whats been happening. But if you have some Meelec bi flange tips you must try them with the CKM500. It will surprise you.

Jun 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #1,094 of 1,921
Quote:

@Danny. I don't know if you read the last few pages of whats been happening. But if you have some Meelec bi flange tips you must try them with the CKM500. It will surprise you.

I actually use the Meelec. single flange tips right now but ordered the bi-flange and the assortment pack yesterday.  The posts from the last couple of pages had me curious also.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back