The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #916 of 1,921
Quote:
Quote:
They sound amazing in your review, although I have trouble imagining a $80ish dynamic beating a dual BA (ck10) or a triple BA (ck100) that costs a few times as much... anyone done comparisons?

They don't technically.  One could like the flavor of the sound signature more of course.  I'd reach for my B2 over the CKM500 and the CK10 anyday .

(off topic, but...)
what you find the B2 better over the ck10?

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #917 of 1,921
Quote:
(off topic, but...)

Smoother more refined treble, less peaky, more mid bass punch though less bass extension and slightly rounder notes and slightly more presence/body.  CK10 has a few technical advantages but they don't outweigh what I like that the B2 does better for my ears and at 1/3 the price of the CK10.  The B2 also has the best bell like clarity I've heard in any IEM including the UERM.  If you can fit the housing down your ear canal and use the right tips, it is a true giant killer for the price.

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #918 of 1,921
Quote:
Quote:
(off topic, but...)

Smoother more refined treble, less peaky, more mid bass punch though less bass extension and slightly rounder notes and slightly more presence/body.  CK10 has a few technical advantages but they don't outweigh what I like that the B2 does better for my ears and at 1/3 the price of the CK10.  The B2 also has the best bell like clarity I've heard in any IEM including the UERM.  If you can fit the housing down your ear canal and use the right tips, it is a true giant killer for the price.

maybe the mk2 is better? have u tried it?

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #919 of 1,921
Quote:
maybe the mk2 is better? have u tried it?

Yes.  Fit is easier, less bright but the toned down treble has fractionally less of that clarity and the added bass is a bit bloomier and less tight.  I sampled both together and liked the B2 better the way I wear them.  I let LFF borrow both and he liked the B2 better as well.  Purrin likes the mk2 better because he can fit the housing in his ear canal, B2 doesn't fit him.

Last B2 question unless you shoot me a PM.  
wink_face.gif

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #920 of 1,921
. I have to say while these have a nice detailed sound. I can't say they are an improvement over the CKM500. In fact. The mids is where I find the greatest difference in these. I will do more comparisons of Audio Technicas competitor vs the CKM500 once I get some solid burn in time.

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #921 of 1,921
Somebody probably already wrote about it, but I can't remember. How do these compare to the superlux hd381?

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #922 of 1,921
Outrageous. 
regular_smile .gif

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #923 of 1,921
Quote:
Now that I think about it. I think I am going to skip on the CKM300 and put that money towards one of those. Will cover the pouch at least.

Really liked what the CKM500 were doing to my ears and I was just as curious how close the CKM300 would compared.

Was out with the family over the weekend and the wifey got me a pair of them CKM300 (she saw me eyeing them)  ...Lol, it's happy Father's day.
biggrin.gif

First impression, they are smaller than the CKM500 and the wires are thinner, further cost cutting can be seen on the carry bag provided, made of cheap cloth material and drawstrings instead of the plush, magnetic closing bag provided with the CKM500.

SQ wise, they sounded pretty much like the CKM500 out of box as far as I can recall.
Have put them under intensive burning just as what their bigger brother have gone thru, I'll report back here once they've settle down to a comparable burn level as the CKM500.

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #924 of 1,921
So I finally returned home and spent the entire evening with these earphones and I hate them for completely ruining my Silver Bullet and TF10 experiences.
It's just not the same with them anymore and I can't go back to the way things were.
I'm seriously contemplating selling these 2.

What can I say? I really love the way the CKM500 sounds and whenever I'm not using them (i.e. now in the office), I actually miss them!
Just eagerly looking forward to the next opportunity I can hear them again.

As I listened to my music last night I kept thinking how ridiculously good they sound.

Thanks Dsnuts!

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #925 of 1,921
all right! Just got them today.
my initial impressions: ouch! a bit heavy on the bass for my tastes.. it bleeds a bit into the mids.
the mids are a bit dry. vocals are not as chesty as I'd have liked. but detail in the mids is really good.
they kinda come across a bit like a re-zero with a bass body. only there's a HUGE bass body.

it seems to me the CKM500 doesn't know if it wants to be an analytical or fun IEM, so it takes a shot at both areas.

I'm not a believer in burn in, but I can always hope things will even out.

soundstage is what you'd expect from a $60 IEM. average with adequate instrument seperation.

I'm going to spend more time with them!

they will be great for walks. the low isolation prevents them from that annoying thumping sound while walking.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #929 of 1,921
Quote:
Ok after serious burn in, I found out this one is seriously crazy, though I like trumpet sound from htf more.
You're nut, seriously.

Are you serious? 
confused.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #930 of 1,921
Quote:
So I finally returned home and spent the entire evening with these earphones and I hate them for completely ruining my Silver Bullet and TF10 experiences.
It's just not the same with them anymore and I can't go back to the way things were.
I'm seriously contemplating selling these 2.

What can I say? I really love the way the CKM500 sounds and whenever I'm not using them (i.e. now in the office), I actually miss them!
Just eagerly looking forward to the next opportunity I can hear them again.

As I listened to my music last night I kept thinking how ridiculously good they sound.

Thanks Dsnuts!

This is quite the endorsement. It sounds like you found a new <3. Lol. Glad you are enjoying them..You know it isn't all about finding new and selling the old. I am sure you will find room to listen to the others in your line up. I personally love having a nice variety. In any case happy listening everyone..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back