The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Apr 24, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #1,308 of 1,323

Quote:
Just an update on my CKM50s:

On first listen, the IEMs were a little sibilant. Nothing to complain about. They also caused me discomfort after about 45 minutes. The detail was fair. I wasn't complaining for the 28 bucks I spent.

Now, after more than a couple hundred hours of burn in, all of these problems have gone away. The highs are smoother and never hiss. The IEMs have shaped to my ears more and I forget they're there. The detail seems to be fuller. I smile each time I put these on. They were cheap enough I give them no special care. I almost threw them in the dumpster along with my trash once, and didn't really sweat it. I can get replacements for less than 30 dollars. Great!

Another thing is I've heard a lot of people complain about the cable that comes with these. I made note of this, and paid attention to it. I actually like the extension a lot. Do I always have it on? Yes. However, getting up real quick to use the restroom or make some food or answer the door is made a lot easier. I can just quickly unplug the extension and keep the IEMs in. It's very convenient for me.

All in all, I'm very glad that Dsnuts put up this thread for me and countless other people to see. My wife bought some random headphones at walmart for 32 dollars and these easily sound twice as good.

Thanks again Dsnuts.

Ya believe me I was very surprised how good these sounded to me when I got 4 earphones to compare. There was no competition.

Now for guys that want and upgrade to these later on.  Now you guys have 2 options. The CKM500 and the CKS77.. If bass is your thing with a big sound and immersion the CKS77. If clarity and detail is more what you want with a very balanced sound the CKM500.

In the mean while enjoy your earphones guys.

Quote:
Wanted to thank Dsnuts for introducing me to these.
Like the poster above me when I first heard them, the highs were a bit sharp. But after some burn in the highs have died down a bit.
But I have to say, these sound amazing. I'm no audiophile at all and Im still a noob when it comes to audio but man, I have to say the ckm50's always put a smile on my face.
I have these paired up to my crappy dac galaxy s2 (using power amp) and they still sound amazing.
Like everyones mentioned, these go well with dub step, hip hop, etc. I'm not even a big fan of dub step but I happened to listen to Skrillex's Summit on these and jeez, they sound so good.
My only regret is only buying 2 pairs when they were 20 bucks each. I'm coming from a nuforce ne-7m (decent audio, crappy quality) and these are a huge improvement.
Now Mr. Nuts, you are now brainwashing me into the cks77's =(.
I'm a big bass head but everything else also matters to me and according to your impressions these are a big step up from the ckm50's.
My question to you, is the cks77 that much of an improvement over the ckm50's?
I'd love to get a pair of the cks77's but they are literally $110 here in Korea. Money's a bit tight. I just don't want to kick myself for missing out on the cks77's.
Another question if you don't mind, what's your take on the phillips she3580. Decent or a waste of time?
Many thanks!!

The Philips is a nice cheapo but it would be more of a side type of grade for you than anything. I would go for a CKS77.. Danny93 on the CKS77 thread had the CKM50 he was using before he got the CKS77.. You can read his impressions on the CKS77 thread. Lets just say he was blown away.

Quote:
Is CKS just for North America? I'm having trouble finding any CKM on the North America site, thanks :)

Ya indeed. Amazon has them but you can order them from HongKong from www.accessoryjack.com.  Many of the guys including myself got CKS earphones from there for a great price.. There is a seller on ebay that is selling the CKS77 for a cheap $52 without box.. Seems to be either a factory 2nd or refurb but one of the guys that has an original pair just got it as is reporting that they are original.

May 10, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #1,309 of 1,323
I've been burning in the CKM50s for over 100 hrs. No joy for me. Definite club sound. NNN  tss  NNN tss NNN tss. They are still harsh. I've tried every tip imaginable. Too bad. They are some of the most comfortable IEMs I've ever had. Looks like my son is getting another pr of IEMs. 

May 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,311 of 1,323
Your recommendations have worked out great for me so far. I especially like trying out the cheap IEMs. Some of them are amazing for the price. The 8320 Monoprice IEMs sound much better after a long grueling burn in. I had them going for about 2 weeks straight. They sound much better now. Also the Philips SHE3580 you recommended sound incredible for the bass and the super low price.

For my music listening, I will stick with the TF10s. To my ears, nothing else I've tried can't even get close to them. I've got B&W and McIntosh for my home audio (not rich - traded work for hifi), and, to me, the TF10s sound just like my home system. And that is awesome.

My next IEMs will either be customs, or maybe the Westone UMX3. My IEMs always double as hearing protection. I'm a woodworker, and I wear earphones for 8+ hours a day. Sometimes with Sound Isolating Earmuffs worn over the IEMs (awesome if you really want to hear JUST the music).

May 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,312 of 1,323
You know one you will enjoy I have no doubt. Check out the Isurus and She3580 thread. I can without a doubt recommend the new JVC HA-FX40 to you. Much more mature sound..Coming from a TF10.. These are gonna surprise for only $22 or so. I just discovered these for myself today. These new JVCs are heads and shoulders above anything else that was previously good for cheap. If you want something on the cheap that you can have that will give you an astounding amount of detail and clean sound. Try them out. Especially for a TF10 fan..

Very comfy as they are small in size but big in sound. They block out a good amount of sound actually. Below average microphonics/. But it is their sound that is surprising. I know these look like toys but the sound is far from it..

May 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #1,313 of 1,323
Not exactly related, but just reporting: I've had my CK90ProMk2 for a few weeks now and am never going back to the CKM99 again. 
etysmile.gif

Heck, they were slightly cheaper than the CKM99s even.

May 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,315 of 1,323
I agree the highs are a bit loose on these but they aren't too bad. I have heard much worse. They now cost around $50 but I think there will be some blow outs of these that should bring the price down to $25 or so.. Considering the new and improved CKM300s are out for about the same price. That is what I would look into at the $50 price point. Or for a nice alternative to these CKM50s the new JVC HAFX40s are crazy.. Not as bassy as the CKM50s but the sub bass is right there with these with greater detail and clarity.

May 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #1,316 of 1,323
If anyone in the UK is interested I have the CKM50 FS (I paid an arm and a leg to get these imported from the US) 

Great budget earphones that I stil cant decide if I should keep as backups :S

May 22, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,317 of 1,323
Great news for guys that need extra tips for your CKM earphones. I got this email this morning

profile_mask2.png

Dave Webb dwebb@atus.com
6:38 AM (3 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

[size=10.0pt]The ear tips are available for $3.00/pair plus postage. Please provide address and credit card information. We can also do a Paypal transaction.[/size]

[size=8.5pt]DAVE WEBB[/size]
[size=8.5pt]Parts and Repair Coordinator[/size]
P
330.686.2600 ext. 5002
F 330.686.6277
Audio-Technica U.S., Inc.
1221 Commerce Drive, Stow, Ohio 44224

May 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #1,318 of 1,323
I just want to thank DSNUTS again for turning me onto the CKM50. I have owned them for about 5-6 months now and I just love them for vocal trance and vocal chillout. They isolate well and feel great! My only gripe remains the cable length. Has AT fixed this on newer models?

The CKM50 are SO GOOD that I have NEVER since used my TF10. They sit idle in my drawer.

I am done with BA IEMs. It's Dynamic or bust!

May 24, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #1,319 of 1,323
Quote:
I just want to thank DSNUTS again for turning me onto the CKM50. I have owned them for about 5-6 months now and I just love them for vocal trance and vocal chillout. They isolate well and feel great! My only gripe remains the cable length. Has AT fixed this on newer models?

The CKM50 are SO GOOD that I have NEVER since used my TF10. They sit idle in my drawer.

I am done with BA IEMs. It's Dynamic or bust!

If you ever fancy an upgrade get the CKS77 they have a similar sound but they just do everything MUCH better! The mids are much more forward and highs are better, the bass is still HUGE and even hits a tad harder! But the soundstage is the biggest difference to me...its like having headphones on! I think theres some factory rejects on ebay wich have the same sound that are about $50 

Oh and the cable is the normal length and of much better quality! 

Still loving my CKM50´s as you say they are great! 

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #1,320 of 1,323
Snapped brand new CKM500 IEMs for 2000 Japanese Yen (26 USD) on yahoo auctions (basically a Japanese ebay). At that price, there's really no going wrong. It's unfortunate you guys have to pay 80$ for them. I own the CKM55 that I got for free due to my ISP in Japan and i'll see how they compare to the CKM500. Stay tuned in for a comparison! Maybe i'll even snap a pair of CKS-90 In ears since I just found them brand new for 12$! I think i'm starting to get addicted to headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back