The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Mar 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,171 of 1,323
The CKM50 in white. for $24.75 on Amazon. White ones.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OSWGQ2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p229_d0_g23_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_r=1SN0N5YPN5AR1SBZ90GR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938731&pf_rd_i=507846

All 3 colors for $24.75 actually.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #1,172 of 1,323
the TF10s were Jerry Harvey's design for UE before he founded JH Audio. They are, like you said in different words, Frankensteins Blue ear plugs. Keep in mind that they are a years old design that does everything pretty well. They are in a way a kind of benchmark for iems of the balanced armature variety. Much in the way the Sennheiser HD650s get written up because so many people have heard them. If I were a physic I'd predict that shortly you'll be thinking about better cables and custom shells. I think everyone that gets the TF10s considers that option. BTW Dsnuts did I tell you that I'm thinking of selling my SR-5s? If I did I was lying. They absolutely make my HD600s cry and run home to mommy, and the 600s are no ones fool. I'm glad you've gotten them cause I KNOW what that itch is like.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #1,173 of 1,323
Well to be honest I have no interest in getting these reshelled or buy new cables for them. I am enjoying them for what they are. It is interesting that 3 drivers are used to create what is essentially the same sound from one dynamic driver. More detailed than your average dynamic and I suppose the CKM77 is not your average dynamic.

It will be a matter of taste but some will find the CKM77 a bit too detailed and therefor fatiguing..I think maybe that is where the TF10s will be a bit better in that they do have a less fatiguing sound yet similarly detailed overall. I know better cables and even a reshell of the TF10s will make them sound even better. I suppose that is one avenue that can be explored but for me I am all about the stock sound of earphones and what they have to offer. Besides I just ordered a new Sony Z1060 that I simply can't wait to try with all these earphones I have amassed.. Thanks again my friend for your quick send on these. I am enjoying these TF10s. I can clearly understand why there is a 400 plus page thread for them. I do enjoy the wider sound staging on them and they do sound great for electronica which was another reason why I wanted to try them. 

I was surprised to hear them as I was expecting a similar sound to something like the CKM50 but ended up sounding more similar to the CKM77..

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #1,175 of 1,323

Quote:
Thanks for this thread Dsnuts. I bought the ATH-CKM50s on sale from Amazon and am very happy with them for the price. 

Enjoy them as I have.  I am glad this thread has lead me to get all of the CKM earphones to try out. Overall minus one CKM55. I am very happy with all of them.. I happen to own many Audio Technica headphones as well and I will just tell you guys. Believe it or not. It is their earphones that are the better value. 

Imagine how surprised I was when I threw on my M50 to hear a very similar sound to the CKM50s. $25 vs $160..  I know we are talking about different beasts but you know what. I constantly find myself enjoying the earphones over the headphones.. It is just me I suppose but SQ wise I am not missing a thing from my full sized cans now a days.  Though it seems Ri-toast with his new HD600 is now thinking other wise. Lol! I have to admit it has been a while since I listened to my HD595s. Congrats on the new purchase and let me know what you think about those.

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #1,177 of 1,323
I think if I see a CKS55 on sale I might have to pick up a pair.. I know they got some positive reviews online for them. It is good to hear that they sound good. Let me ask you. If you can give us some feed back on how they sound that would be awesome. It is the only earphones I have no clue about as I have not had them. I have a feeling those will sound similar to the CKS77 in that they should have good balance with good deep bass.

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,178 of 1,323
Ok so little did you guys know I had another little comparo. This time thanks to a good friend I ended up with a used MMDT earphones. It was immediate to me that these earphones share many similarities of all earphones. The ATH-CKS77s.

. These aren't without issue. I will get back to that but for now. These you all should know is the Monster Miles Davis Tributes.. Flashy kinda nice to look at. Both the TF10s and the MMDTs were new experiences for me. I am fairly impressed with both but these are more my style of sound.. Initially similarities of the sound signature of these and My CKS77 was apparent.  And you guys know these or should by now.       Ya you guys read right. Here is the deal. Monster earphones are bassy and while there are plenty that does more bass. It is funny but I love how the Tributes sound. It is like a higher end musical sounding earphones Is the best way to put it. So the real question is which ones would throw down the bigger bass..?.

The answer to that would be the CKS77s. But this comparo isnt just all bass.  They both have a roomy sound presentation upon some Bass heavy Hiphop listening. The bass end on the CKS77 win these are clearly for people that love their warm bass. But what lesser bass the MMDTs have is made up for with just crazy smooth forward mids.. The highs are about a wash both are clean and while not the most detailed. Perfect for the sound presentations. Not too bright yet clearly detailed on both.

The surprising part here guys..The SQ in the CKS77 is very similar and while overall the Tributes do sound more refined over the CKS77. The CKS77 does not fall behind on one important aspect. It has a bigger sound over the MMDTs. Both have a roomy wide and thicker sound but the surprising part.. .

The CKS77 has the bigger roomier sound in hiphop. Not to mention I find the mids and high just as detailed. So..The CKS77 have just showed me how capable these guys are.. They beat out the Turbines in a roomier musical sound with overall more and better quality bass. I have to admit the Sub bass on the Turbines are excellent.  The CKS77 has even more greater authority here as well.

The Winner here is the CKS77. Better build. better value and in some aspects..Better sound..I have to admit I love the sound on the Turbines. It is of a musical style and the lush forward mids got me loving the sound from them.. But when it comes to bassy tunes. The authority of the CKS77 are not to be ignored.  You guys that love your bass like I do. I simply don't have any other earphones that have this bass with this sound that is on the CKS77.  Bass heads UNITE!. These are for the audiophile basshead! You know who you are!

Update.. SO I have been listening to some rock.. What is interesting.. The CKS77 sound cleaner over the Turbines. Don't laugh. I was listening to some Def Leppard, Ratt, Dokken, Whitesnake.   I have to say I am quite shocked at this news. The difference in clarity is clearly audible for Rock for some reason. I initially thought it was the smoothed mids that I was hearing on the Tributes but it turns out to be some coloration in the mids that leads to less clear sound over the CKS77. The upper mids and lower highs are clearly more cleaner and defined on the CKS77.  Damn. I can't believe this guys but.. Overall I find the SQ of the CKS77 superior over the Tubines..

Shocking actually.! In all honesty I thought going into this A/B session that the CKS77 would be a close 2nd to the Tributes but only to find out the Tributes are somewhat 2nd to the CKS77s. Lol!! Shocking. Just shocking. A monster product a bit over rated ? That don't happen. Yes I still like them but just a bit less now. Lol!!

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #1,179 of 1,323

Quote:
Bass biased guys that want good highs and mids =CKS77           Detailed balanced guys=CKM77
Smooth detailed and good bass =CKM99                

Good, I have both the CKS77 and the CKM99 on order.
Got good prices on both, looking forward to hearing them after reading this thread.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #1,180 of 1,323
A fellow AT fan. You are gonna love these earphones. I just have a feeling. Lol!. Let us know what you think of them. I think both are excellent sounding earphones and have qualities on both that make them a solid purchase especially if you got them on sale. I was lucky enough to get a pair of CKM99s for $99. Which still goes down as my best bang for what I payed category this year so far.

Mar 25, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #1,183 of 1,323

Quote:
Enjoy them as I have.  I am glad this thread has lead me to get all of the CKM earphones to try out. Overall minus one CKM55. I am very happy with all of them.. I happen to own many Audio Technica headphones as well and I will just tell you guys. Believe it or not. It is their earphones that are the better value. 

Imagine how surprised I was when I threw on my M50 to hear a very similar sound to the CKM50s. $25 vs $160..  I know we are talking about different beasts but you know what. I constantly find myself enjoying the earphones over the headphones.. It is just me I suppose but SQ wise I am not missing a thing from my full sized cans now a days.  Though it seems Ri-toast with his new HD600 is now thinking other wise. Lol! I have to admit it has been a while since I listened to my HD595s. Congrats on the new purchase and let me know what you think about those.

I've actually experienced the opposite. While my GR07 cost about 4 times as much as my Samson SR850 cans, I often find myself enjoying the SR850 a lot more for music. There is absolutely no comparison in soundstage. The GR07 sound exactly like I have speakers shoved into my ear canal, while the SR850 conveys distance and separation between instruments much better. Treble extension and clarity (but also sibilance) go to the GR07 but it's a bit fatiguing. Bass extension and impact are easily the GR07's as well, but that's pretty much it.

Speaking of the GR07, how do the various CKM's compare? I mainly listen to hip hop, dubstep, and some indie rock. I don't listen to much classic rock, alternative, or classical.

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,184 of 1,323
getting my belkin multiheadphone splitter to finally make comparisons to the ckm77s, cks77s, and monoprice 8320s. It should be here tuesday or wednesday, after that I'll post!

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #1,185 of 1,323

Quote:
Turbines? lol

I think you just prefer brighter 'phones.

Well The CKM33 and the CKM77 and to a lesser extent the CKM99 are somewhat brighter phones. The CKS77s are somewhat of an anomaly. The sound signature is similar to the Tributes in that they have a bigger sound presentation but what was surprising to me was the clarity factor. Not only clarity but the CKS77 out does what the Tributes are doing in that they have even a bigger sound over them and add to that better clarity and detail and you get a shocking surprise.. I know you owned or have all the monster earphones.. I think you would be impressed with the CKS77. I know it sounds kinda like I am beating up on the tributes but I actually like them quite a bit..They have a very musical sound to my ears and I like that. Older Jazz recordings just shine on them..What they were made for I suppose.

Quote:

I've actually experienced the opposite. While my GR07 cost about 4 times as much as my Samson SR850 cans, I often find myself enjoying the SR850 a lot more for music. There is absolutely no comparison in soundstage. The GR07 sound exactly like I have speakers shoved into my ear canal, while the SR850 conveys distance and separation between instruments much better. Treble extension and clarity (but also sibilance) go to the GR07 but it's a bit fatiguing. Bass extension and impact are easily the GR07's as well, but that's pretty much it.

Speaking of the GR07, how do the various CKM's compare? I mainly listen to hip hop, dubstep, and some indie rock. I don't listen to much classic rock, alternative, or classical.

I know what you are saying about the sound staging in full sized vs earphones as earphones physically are closer or in your ear that being said. Earphones such as the EX600 and even the TF10s are weird in they they both have a wider stage than is closer to a headphone like sound than most. I know the GR07 has a monitor like presentation and sound staging is average for an earphone.. You need to try out an earphone more suited to your music preference. Try out a CKS77.. If you heard hiphop and dub on these I am willing to bet you. You wouldn't touch your Samsons..

For your musical preference I recommend the CKS77 hands down. The CKM99 is similar to your GR07 but leans more toward a musical version of the GR07. There is a bit more bass emphasis and the mids are smoother but something like a CKM99 would be more of a side grade. The CKM77 also is similar yet actually more defined over the GR07 so for critical listening the CKM77s are best but again for what you listen to the CKS77.  The CKS77 would be a different/ more proper to what your listening to..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back