The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Mar 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #1,127 of 1,323
Mar 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #1,128 of 1,323
you said in your other thread that the Isurus are like a detuned CKM99 and that they would have 90-95% sound and here you say the CKM33's have 90% of the sound of the CKM77's. What's your take on The Isurus vs CKM33? Which 1 is better since they have all the same sound signature?

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #1,129 of 1,323

Quote:
Is the ATH-CKM50A the one with the rare earth drivers, better than the Monoprice 8320's?  Reason I ask is that I just picked up a bunch for a really good price.

Yes. Though I wouldn't say better just different. The CKM50 has more of a fun sound signature over the more balanced Mp8320. Bassy music sounds fantastic on the CKM50 for example.

Quote:

Everything AT is cheaper in Japan. The CKS77s go for $69 or so. I was thinking of using a buying agent to get some stuff from japan. After shipping it all ends up being around the same price. Better to get them locally at least you can send something back if there is an issue.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #1,130 of 1,323

Quote:
Yes. Though I wouldn't say better just different. The CKM50 has more of a fun sound signature over the more balanced Mp8320. Bassy music sounds fantastic on the CKM50 for example.

Everything AT is cheaper in Japan. The CKS77s go for $69 or so. I was thinking of using a buying agent to get some stuff from japan. After shipping it all ends up being around the same price. Better to get them locally at least you can send something back if there is an issue.

The weird thing is that the Sony and JVC stuff is mostly around the same price in the US and Japan. There are even a few JVC things that are cheaper in the US.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #1,132 of 1,323
Both are excellent for rock/ metal. The highs on both are better extended than your normal earphones but not so bright as to pierce your ears.  Signature AT highs means great detail.  Guitars sound right on these as well as drum kicks high hats..Guitars have more crunch than warm sounding earphones. Every single note of authority from Floyd to Zeppelin is perfect on both.  The CKM99s does have more bass over the CKM77s but I find both to excel with acoustic rock jazz even classical. Anything with instruments are very satisfactory on both these.

The CKM77s has a bit dryer presentation than the CKM99s. If precision is what anyone is looking for the CKM77 gets the nod for that with a more neutral style bass.  The CKM99s are bit smoother sounding overall with the same overall detail and clarity of the CKM77s with a bit more bass.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,134 of 1,323
The reason why the CKM50s are cheap now is because those were the first line of CKM earphones that Audio Technica made. The CKM50s are discontinued earphones. That doesn't mean they are bad or outdated however. They use the same tech that is on these newer CKM earphones and was the first to use a new driver mounting system that was introduced on the CKM50s. The 12.5mm drivers in the CKM50s throw out 100% of the driver sound basically. Normal dynamics will have a mounting system that will cover up 10-20% of the drivers.. Towards the beginning of the thread I ended up getting a much more expensive supposed newer version the CKM55s. Only to find out just how bad those are in comparison. In fact. Out of all the CKM earphones I have purchased the CKM55 remain the only CKM phone I cannot and will not recommend to any one that reads this thread.

I was very surprised when the CKM55s turned out to be a muffled mess of an earphone. It is like the sounds hit a ceiling. It took the CKS77s to be a true upgrade to the CKM50s sound. The CKM33, CKM77,CKM99 are all similar in sound signature with the latter being the most refined out of the 3. But what is interesting is that AT made their flagship the CKM99 more consumer friendly sounding  vs audiophile neutral. Both the CKM33 and the CKM77s are more neutral than the CKM99 which again is interesting.   They added more bass to the CKM99  which makes them sound slightly v shape sound.. I don't think the mids are recessed if at all on the CKM99s. The mids are similar to the isurus. Which brings me to another point..

I am now very certain the isurus is using the same driver that is in the CKM99s. The sound signature is too identical. However. These CKM99s are tuned to sound better than the isurus. The highs are not as sharp as the isurus yet is more clean sounding and the mids are also more refined and smoother than the isurus. The bass is the giveaway.. The BASS is the exactl same on the isurus and the CKM99. Exactly the same. 

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #1,135 of 1,323
Wow, decided to open up my CKM50A's and see how they perform.  Right out of the box they have some really intense assertive audio quality's.   Bass is penetratingly low, with great extension.  Highs are sharp, yet on point.  Mids are unreal and are truly balanced with the highs and lows to create a really rich vibrant soundstage.

I can't believe how "Full" they sound.  They truly make the music come alive. Everything is just so beautiful, crisp and very detailed.  For paying only 20 dollars for them I think they already perform way above and beyond that price.  These are really surprising me, gonna see how they change as they burn in.

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,138 of 1,323
I have been using the CKM50's now for 2 days and I would like to report my findings.

First off, for $20 these headphones are fantastic. The value is incredible. The very punchy bass is very handy when listening to things like generic American radio music, dubstep, or electronic music. Vocals sound great too. I don't really listen to Dubstep but I have found myself navigating to Skrillex a few times yesterday just to hear how punchy and fun the bass is on these IEM's. I haven't ever heard an IEM before that makes me feel the vibration of the bass in my head.

I mainly listen to rock and metal, and I have to say, stay the hell away from these headphones if you listen to these genres. They sound awful! They compare to my $9 Skullcandy IEM's I bought last year for use at the gym (retired them after a few days, those were pretty awful) when listening to rock and metal. The midrange is extremely dull and flat. And I mean DULL, and FLAT! It's very difficult to listen to because of how bad it sounds. Especially with rhythm guitars, man, they sound terrible. I was listening to In Flames - Borders and Shading and I couldn't even hear the rhythm guitars at the opening of the song. I just heard the lead. Drums also sound tinny and underexpressed. Bass doesn't overpower the midrange at all, but the midrange just sounds awful.

I'll be giving these IEM's to my cousin who loves Dubstep. Or I might just sell them.

TL;DR: Amazing value if you listen to electronic or radio music, horrible if you listen to rock or metal

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,140 of 1,323
I got my CKM50s today. Out of the box I prefer them over the MP8320s. Besides being way more comfortable, I'm hearing more detail in the music. The mids do sound a bit congested but hopefully that will clear up. I'm still new to headphones so I don't have alot of experience to draw on. These do make me want to investigate other options.

cubdog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back