The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Mar 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #1,113 of 1,323
Just got my CKM50s. Wow! They sound great right out of the package! I'm burning them in with some good bass tunes, and I'll try them out again with some of my preferred tips in a few days. I'm really looking forward to using these. Thanks for the great recommendation.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,114 of 1,323
Happy listening fellas.. If you guys only knew how many lamos I went through before these opened up the Red Seas. These are more a fun listening earphone than anything and you know what,  fun isn't a bad thing to have when your listening to your tunes.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #1,115 of 1,323
edit: There may be another 10$ competitor that is worthy (though I think it has worse build), but I'll know for sure once I compare the two.

Oh goody another budget find..Usually the build is the first thing out the door it seems. Now if only budget stuff had great build with good sound. That might be too much to ask. I will take good sound over build. It will be interesting to hear what you had in mind Inks.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,116 of 1,323
The CKM50's are a lot of fun. And an amazing value. Makes me wish they were more my thing. They are actually great for the gym with the short cable if you have a small mp3 player that you can clip onto your shirt or something.

As much as they drive you up the wall, I think the ASG-1 is more fun 
biggrin.gif

​Do you hear them as fun or just aggravating?

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,117 of 1,323
Well that is just it. I don't know if I should just accept how they sound and enjoy them or just have an expensive looking somewhat custom looking piece of earphone just hanging there as they are now burning away.

These are the first earphones that I can't tell if I actually like them or not. For me it is really cut n dry. Either I like a product a lot or they get the boot. These are something that just begs attention but my other iems are so much easier. I enjoy my MP8320s. These for now I just enjoy how they look. I am waiting to hear news about when we can get filters for the sound. See thats another thing. I never had to get filters even for my $7.11 MP8320.!

These remain the big ? for me. Just a big ?

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #1,118 of 1,323
Just got the CKM50's at my house today. Purchased for $20 from Buydig. I have to say, while I really enjoy the bass on these headphones, I feel that the midrange and treble are especially lacking. I am comparing them to the A151's and CC51's that I previously used.

The bass on these IEM's is absolutely fantastic. I listen to only metal but I tried out some skrillex paired with my Titanium HD and its very punchy and nice to listen to. However, the bass does seem to drown the midrange a little bit, and this is a little annoying since the bands I listen to play with guitars tuned fairly low (Drop A# to be exact) to produce a very mellow yet rich sound. I feel that with the CC51's and A151's (A151's especially) the midrange is more "there" if you get what I mean. The rhythm parts of some metal tracks have gotten difficult to hear. Guitar solo's and higher stuff sounds pretty good. Treble is a little sharp compared to both previous IEM's but I can live with that.

Overall for $20 if you listen to rap, dubstep, or any generic American radio music these would be a steal. However for metal there are better options in my opinion.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,119 of 1,323
Still digging my CKM50s but I am giving a little more love to my id America Sparks at the moment. I find the sound signatures are very close but I just hate the cable on the ATs. Why couldn't they just rig a normal cable? That alone prevented me from buying another pair.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #1,120 of 1,323
I came across your post when I was thinking of making a buy on Zazdas.com. Just wanted to let the group know, I made a purchase (amazing deal) and it arrived perfectly. Just in case anybody else was wondering. Zazdas is the real deal. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,121 of 1,323

Quote:
I am waiting to hear news about when we can get filters for the sound. See thats another thing. 

These remain the big ? for me. Just a big ?

If you don't have to sell the ASG-1s for financial reasons, I would hang in there a while longer until the filters are ready (like it seems you are doing). Aurisonics really seems interested in working to refine the sound for non-stage monitoring purposes.

Like you, I am not really sure how I feel about them right now, but I see(hear) huge potential and strongly suspect that I would regret selling them.  

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #1,122 of 1,323

I came across your post when I was thinking of making a buy on Zazdas.com. Just wanted to let the group know, I made a purchase (amazing deal) and it arrived perfectly. Just in case anybody else was wondering. Zazdas is the real deal.
Quote:
Zazdas appear to buy electronic products in the US due to cheaper prices, specifically to supply them to Europe. I did a bit of research before ordering as I was suspicious at the lack of reviews, and found posts from a few people who had received thier items without any problems, and more importantly, found no reports of scams etc. They have a branch based in London, which they use to supply goods to UK customers. 

I just ordered a pair for a friend from here, which came to £18.33 ($28.59). I'll post once I've received them.

I came across this post when I was thinking of making a buy on Zazdas.com. Just wanted to let the group know, I made a purchase (amazing deal) and it arrived perfectly. Just in case anybody else was wondering. Zazdas is the real deal.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #1,123 of 1,323

Quote:
Just got the CKM50's at my house today. Purchased for $20 from Buydig. I have to say, while I really enjoy the bass on these headphones, I feel that the midrange and treble are especially lacking. I am comparing them to the A151's and CC51's that I previously used.

The bass on these IEM's is absolutely fantastic. I listen to only metal but I tried out some skrillex paired with my Titanium HD and its very punchy and nice to listen to. However, the bass does seem to drown the midrange a little bit, and this is a little annoying since the bands I listen to play with guitars tuned fairly low (Drop A# to be exact) to produce a very mellow yet rich sound. I feel that with the CC51's and A151's (A151's especially) the midrange is more "there" if you get what I mean. The rhythm parts of some metal tracks have gotten difficult to hear. Guitar solo's and higher stuff sounds pretty good. Treble is a little sharp compared to both previous IEM's but I can live with that.

Overall for $20 if you listen to rap, dubstep, or any generic American radio music these would be a steal. However for metal there are better options in my opinion.

How do the CKM50s compare to the CC51s SQ wise for electronic music with vocals?

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #1,124 of 1,323
wondering the same thing...looking for something more for JAZZ listening...considering CC51, A151, M4...was thinking
about these but it sounds like they have too much bass for the type of music I would be listening to...any tips?

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,125 of 1,323
For Jazz. Nothing is better than the CKM77s. But the CKM33 comes close for 1/3rd the cost. Can't speak for the A151 but the CC51s are just how can you say.. Mids congested. bloaty bass..Tinkly highs.. I think you would do much better on a CKM33 to be honest. Exactly the type of sound you need for Jazz. Precision, balanced and neutral bass.

Listening to Miles Davis on the CKM33s. These come very close to the sound of the CKM77 I would say around 95%. Same exact sound signature as the CKM77s. I know I don't mention these CKM33s much here but these are absolutely a great deal for the cost..Much better than what anyone would think because it is just natural to think higher up in the number scheme means better. Not the case here at all. These are actually more refined than the CKM50s or the CKM55s and when I say they come very close to the sound of the CKM77. I am not kidding they are alarmingly close. If I didn't own the CKM77 these would get much more ear time from me.

So if you want to not spend $125 on a CKM77. Try out a CKM33 for $40 and get 95% of the sound of the CKM77. The CKM33s are for guys that want to pick out detail in what they hear and is completely proper and balanced perfectly and is about as close to neutral as any earphone I have ever heard at this cost.  Many of you guys that want more of a neutral sounding earphone I think would actually like these CKM33s more so than the CKM50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back