The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Mar 8, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #1,023 of 1,323
you guys do realise there are far more knockoff on taobao than on ebay.

also, why the hell would there be so many "bulk" version of high end headphone? How many devices do you see that includes high end headphones?

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #1,024 of 1,323
Yeah i was just reading up on that. Well since this is kind of a budget kind of thing I just went ahead and got the 'Shroom' Foam tips and ordered the CKM50 as well as a portable amp (just for kicks and to see if this really works). I hope this set up will help isolate a lot of noise from the outside so I can study at coffee shops as well as having a great sound as I do love listening to music. I hope these IEM's are really worth it!!!
As for bass, this does not over-kill right? I love bass but too much is just too much me. I just want a nice clean hit from a lot of the lows thats not EARTH SHATTERING.

=) Can't wait to try this out!

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #1,025 of 1,323
Can't decide whether to bite the bullet on this CKM50 deal.

As someone who owns a Meelec M9 and an RE0 ... is the CKM50 somewhere in between?

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #1,027 of 1,323

Quote:
Can't decide whether to bite the bullet on this CKM50 deal.

As someone who owns a Meelec M9 and an RE0 ... is the CKM50 somewhere in between?

I own the M9, M6, and had RE0s. The CKM50, to me, sounds better.

For someone's amping question, I use an old iBasso Viper at home and in the office, as a DAC, with my CKMs and they sound fantastic. Honestly, the cord is the only thing that bothers me and if I could do it myself of have it done on the cheap I would love to recable them. 

As I have mentioned previously, around the same time I purchased the CKM50s I also got a pair of id America Spark in jet black and I have been using them now more than the CKMs. For one, the sound, especially the bass, is just as good and, for another, the cable is infinitely better plus it has iPhone control and inline mic.

That's my two cents for whatever they're worth to you.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,029 of 1,323

Quote:
dsnuts, have you bought cks77 from taobao-buying-agent.com?

Its not that I don't trust that buying agent. I just don't trust a lot of the product.

Quote:
Yeah i was just reading up on that. Well since this is kind of a budget kind of thing I just went ahead and got the 'Shroom' Foam tips and ordered the CKM50 as well as a portable amp (just for kicks and to see if this really works). I hope this set up will help isolate a lot of noise from the outside so I can study at coffee shops as well as having a great sound as I do love listening to music. I hope these IEM's are really worth it!!!
As for bass, this does not over-kill right? I love bass but too much is just too much me. I just want a nice clean hit from a lot of the lows thats not EARTH SHATTERING.

=) Can't wait to try this out!

The shroom tips is not needed at all for the CKM50s. The stock tips are perfect for them. Those shroom tips are for guys that don't want any type of sharp highs in their earphones. They are kinda handy to have around anyhow and isolate better than most tips.  I think you will be happy with the bass on these. The bass isn't crazy, but they do give a sub effect for your music which makes your tunes more musical.

Quote:
I wonder how these compare to the Monoprice 8320s

CKM50, CKM33 and Monoprice 8320?

All 3 are completely different in sound. The CKM33s have more in common with the MP8320 but the CKM50s are a different sound signature. Bassy smooth somewhat recessed mids and lively highs.=CKM50
Balanced lively highs and neutral bass end = CKM33

The Mp has a better balance even over the CKM33 but its not bright sounding or warm and the mids are just a tad forward. These are even more neutral sounding over the other 2.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,030 of 1,323
Oh! Yay! Looki what the nuts just got! Beach Camera gave me a $10 refund so I got these for $99 free 2 day shipped as well? Oh yea the box underneath is the velodyne Vpulse. Gotta take a listen. Will report back soon.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #1,032 of 1,323
So far I can clearly tell you guys the CKS77 is better than the velodyne in clarity and balance overall the CKS77 is better.. But the vpulse is a bass monster. Might be a bit too much for non bass fans or even somewhat bass fans. lol! Will report back after some more listening.

As for the CKM99s..This is the best $99 I have ever spent on earphones. These are definitely more refined CKM77s. A bit more bass and the highs have about the same amount of definition. The sibilance is a non issue. I threw on the large tips and so far the highs are actually just a tad less sharp than the CKM77s.  The overall sound has a bit more depth to it as well. I think I understand why the CKM99s have been discontinued.. They sound more or less just like the CKM77s. The CKM77s even have a bit better balance to them. These aren't even on the burn station yet but so far the clarity and detail on these are tops among my iems including the ASG-1s.

.Now I can understand why guys say these have a V shape sound. They do slightly cuz these have the bigger bass over the CKM77s. The CKM77s has less bass but the mids are about the same making them overall sounding more balanced than the CKM99. So these add a touch of fun in the fullness of bass to the CKM77 sounds. Which one can easily do with a touch of eQ.

So my initial impressions are. While these have the overall best CKM sounds. Compared to the CKM77. These aren't heads and shoulders or $100 better than them. I do have to admit the even more refinements and a touch bigger bass on these bigger 14mm drivers does throw out a very nice refined yet musical sound to my ears. While these are definitely the best of the CKM series so far. I can't help but think getting a CKM77 is indeed a better value at their asking price over these. The CKM77s can be found for almost half price of normal msrp over the CKM99s yet throw out about 97% of their sound.  I will keep listening to these and report back with some more info. So for now..For guys that want to try out a higher end CKM sound unless you can get a CKM99 on clearance like I just got. Getting a CKM77 is actually a better value.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #1,033 of 1,323
This is all I need another IEM to an already large collection (well large to me any way) but Dsnuts make such persuasive comments that I really want to try the  ATH-CKS-77.  While I have quite a few mid-tier and couple more I would call top-tier I don't have one I'd consider a bass monster that is also detailed so I might give these a shot sometime soon.

Wait now I see you think the CKM99 have more bass and I know they have good detail from jokers review but I've only seen them for around $170 or so, where did you get them for $99?

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #1,034 of 1,323
Sorry you just missed out on a blow out deal the beach camera did. I look at Amazon just about every day for such deals and a couple days ago they had them for $109 but beach camera had another web site where they had them listed at $99 so I emailed them and they gave me a refund for $10. They had roughly 15 of them and it took like half a day before they sold out. You are getting your earphones mixed up.

The CKS77= These are the ones to grab for bass fans that demand more than just bass..

The CKM77= These and the CKM99s sound identical. The CKM99s being the former flagship AT earphones they discontinued them for some reason and I kinda understand why.  These 2 earphones have almost the same sound.

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #1,035 of 1,323
I think I might still get the CKS77 because I'd like to have a fun bass monster that has good detail.  Now as far as the detail are they more even in the mids and highs or are the mids recessed, I really want to know what the sound signature is besides strong bass and is the sound stage big?  If it has descent detail and a big sound stage then I'll probably get a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back