The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Mar 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #961 of 1,323

Quote:
Dsnuts, I'm gonna volley the ball back at you...if you can find the Spark for cheap (or well below the $60 list) then I think you should grab them because based on your listed preferences I think you will take to them quite nicely.

Really interested in how the sparks compare with the CKM50´s !!! :p

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #966 of 1,323
I found with the CKM50s that I didn't have to wedge them in or fiddle with them to get a great sound. The disc design helps in that respect. I put the medium tips on them as well.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #969 of 1,323
You sure about that.? I can send you one of these instead.
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #970 of 1,323
A relative of mine (Thanks to you guys) will likely get the ckm99s, if she's nice enough, maybe I can compare those to the cks77s, ckm77s, monoprice, and ibeats that I've got with me. (cks77s will be here on thursday, latest friday.)

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #971 of 1,323
Haha! I DO think those KSC's are also a great value, just not as intimate (on ear).
these just make you want to get up and dance dammit.

Accually, in the future, im getting those and kramer modding for more bass.

this hobby is expensive even with cheap stuff!

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #972 of 1,323
     Quote:
Strange I've always thought that the CKM55s were lacking in the mids with a V-shaped sound signature. IMO it really can't compete with my other IEMs, like the iM-590 or even the CKM50, though their street price are usually higher than $28. I've also found the CKM55s to be less comfortable than the CKM50s, and considering that I was switching from CX300s at the time, it was quite painful.

Would you know how these compare to, say, the E10s?

I can't compare them to the E10s as I haven't heard them yet. With the comfort issue, it seems the new(-ish) CKM line has a tricky fit wherein you have you insert first and then slide down so the "body" of the IEM is resting on the antitragus of the ear though still facing the concha. If the listener doesn't do that, it'll still fit but it might hurt after a while or the sound might be different because the nozzle would be pointing somewhere it shouldn't. That sounded wrong.

The sound signature of the CKM55 was mid-centric only in relation to the CKM99, which has a very emphasized V-shaped curve. I only noticed the "forward" mids on one track though, which might point to a midbass boost/spike. The track in question has tempo which is constantly balanced by the bass guitar, so to have that sound recessed really made it sound wrong.

I know there has been reports of sibilance which does kinda suck but I know tips and burn for the most part tames any type of crazy highs so we will see. I have had my TT isurus earphones which has this same issue so that was another reason why I thought the TT isurus was possibly using the same drivers. Anyways I will know soon enough.

I appreciate your impressions on the CKM55 and the CKM99 Applehead.. Your take on them seem to mirror what has been written about them from joker and others that have reviewed them. I hated the CKM55s though. The sound was too congested for me to like. Those were the only CKM earphones I had to send packing.. How is the sound staging on the CKM99s? I figure they should be wider than average is my guess.

When I first heard the CKM99, they were literally painful to listen to because of the treble on tracks that weren't mastered well. The only headphone I could compare it to is the SR325. As for the tips, I didn't notice any differences between swapping tips. I have the rubber tips that come with the CKM99 and the white silicone tips that come with the white CKM55 (bought it Japan). Burn in seems to have helped smooth out the highs slightly, but they're still too bright for me considering I have headphones like the SRH940, HD25 (stock) and HE6 which some people say have too much treble emphasis. I'm pretty sure it's not a fit issue since I've tried all the tips. Normally I use small size, but using the M and L tips didn't help with the sharpness. They're both siblant and sharp with odd treble peaks... sometimes.

The soundstage of the CKM99 for me is comparable to the SJ55 I guess. It's nothing special but at least they don't sound congested.

The CKM55s are alright for the price I got them at -- $28. I only use them at the gym or while running though. The only other IEM in that range which I can compare them to are the Dunu Tridents. The Tridents are a little bit better overall but the CKM55s are more stable in the ears and don't weigh as much.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #973 of 1,323
Let me show you some tips that will guarantee tame the highs. These shroom squishy tips dont cost much and are kinda funny looking but they tame sharp highs better than anything I have ever used.. You can get these on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Sizes-Squish-SHROOMS-Earphones-Plus/dp/B00659KRLM/ref=sr_1_76?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331084970&sr=1-76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back