The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Mar 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #931 of 1,323

Quote:
It looks like beach camera has 14 left so it says. It was 15..I bought my CKM77 for $107 so these even higher end ones going for a few bucks more. Wow. This is indeed a fantastic deal.  I just visited Beach Camera web site and it doesn't surprise me it is these guys blowing these out..

I would say for the price these are gonna be a safe bet worthy for worth your cash buy me thinks.

*whistles* I think...I am going to switch orders...

EDIT: Reason....IT IS MADE OUT OF TITANIUM **** IT!! besides...they may be better refined versions of ckm77s anyways. Eh, it is too late for me now, it is already going to ship, no way to cancel. Please do me a favor ds, I need to know how the build quality is with the titanium, how does it feel? is it really HARD? is it really good quality and not plastic and such? That's all I hope, and hopefully these will kick the ckm77s.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #932 of 1,323
Nope not at all. Call Amazon. tell them you changed your mind and just dont accept the order when it comes in to you and it will go back to them but it has to reach them before you get your credit back though. But with the same amount you can get a nice higher end CKM99s. If they haven't shipped it yet it will be even better. Call them like NOW to find out.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #933 of 1,323

Quote:
Nope not at all. Call Amazon. tell them you changed your mind and just dont accept the order when it comes in to you and it will go back to them but it has to reach them before you get your credit back though. But with the same amount you can get a nice higher end CKM99s. If they haven't shipped it yet it will be even better. Call them like NOW to find out.

I'll see what I can do, thanks for the suggestion. If not, I don't mind keeping the cks77s, I can wait another year, maybe during summer if the price is similar and I will buy it with that price point again. I mean..it looks so good, but I'd rather have roomy sound, and I don't believe the ckm99s to be the ones to do that.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #934 of 1,323
Thats just it. There is a good chance the CKM77 sound is very similar to the CKM99s.. The CKS77 has a different sound and just for that alone it is worth trying out. So either way it will be a good choice. These CKM99s just threw a wrench in the whole scheme of things though I have to admit.

Just look out for my report on them once I get them. I will do some A/Bing with these and the CKM77s and see what is up with the CKM99s.. I will let you and others know just how they stack up and are they worth the extra they was asking for them over the CKM77s.. I was close to trying one out at $171 free shipped but at $109. Ya This month has not been kind on my wallet. I bought way too many unplanned iems. lol!!

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #935 of 1,323

Quote:
Thats just it. There is a good chance the CKM77 sound is very similar to the CKM99s.. The CKS77 has a different sound and just for that alone it is worth trying out. So either way it will be a good choice. These CKM99s just threw a wrench in the whole scheme of things though I have to admit.

You're telling us..., it looks so elegant, that's probably what makes me want it more than anything. However, it does have slightly recessed mids from what people said, and in head-fi it is considered Smooth, so i think you'll take a liking to it ds. I hope for the best of your good audio experience.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #936 of 1,323
Ya I have read every single English written report on how they sound and from what I read also I take it the slightly recessed mids are more from the fact that the highs are extended and defined very well and the bass is complete and full on these which will make a neutral mid section sound like it is recessed just a bit. I have a feeling these are much more balanced than what people would consider truly recessed. But one thing is for certain just about everyone mentions how detailed they are which one would expect from a $200 earphone. I just hope the bigger 14mm driver throws out even a wider stage and a bigger sound over the CKM77.

Even if they have the same exact sound signature but have these added qualities then it would have been worth it for me. Plus I think a CKM impression thread would not be complete without the flagship CKM99. I look forward to hearing them with great interest. I had to get them for $109 shipped. I pulled the trigger immediately when I saw it for that price. I kept on thinking I got the wrong earphones. I thought I got the CKM77s instead but indeed they are selling the CKM99s for $109.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #938 of 1,323
After getting home from work this evening, I decided to thrown on my UE TF.10s for old-times-sake. Just to compare them to my now broken-in CKM50...

Haha. The TF.10s sound like crap. They feel like crap too. I doubt I will use them again. I'll doubt I'll ever buy a BA IEM again.

Dsnuts: As much as you recommend the CKS77 and no matter how much I trust your judgement, I am quite happy for the $30 I paid. I have no pressing need to spend another $100 at this time.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #939 of 1,323

Quote:
 I pulled the trigger immediately when I saw it for that price. I kept on thinking I got the wrong earphones. I thought I got the CKM77s instead but indeed they are selling the CKM99s for $109.

Congrats. When will you be getting them?

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #940 of 1,323
Mini review I wrote on another forum:

I was recently able to get my hands on a CKM99 (left) and a CKM55 (right), and decided to make a full blown review because of how different they sounded from one another. AFAIK, The CKM99 is currently the top of the line dynamic offer from Audio Technica.

Construction: The shell of the CKM55 is made of plastic, while that of the CKM99 is made of titanium. The front portion of both earbuds are virtually the same; made of plastic and stuck to the back portion using adhesive. The shell of the CKM99 is noticeably bigger and heavier. The biggest difference for me however lies with the cables. The CKM99's cables are comparatively much thicker and have a longer and thicker strain relief as well. This isn't a small matter when dealing with non-detachable cable type IEMs.
In terms of fit, the ckm55 is more comfortable because it's quite a bit lighter, and the metal of the ckm99 tends to feel uncomortably cold when first put on. The shorter housing length of the ckm55 also helps a lot with getting a comfortable fit initially. Both are shallow insertion IEMs with angled nozzles, but they somehow manage to be comfortable because of their rounded shape.

Sound Quality
CKM55: It has a foward midrange that seems overly focused on making itself heard over the highs and lows. While there's no lack of clarity in the mids, the treble seems to recessed and the bass is drowned out by the mids at times. Its's quite noticeable on tracks with quick bass beats like in house music and hip-hop. The bass of the CKM55 seems like a "one note bass", meaning it has copious amount of midbass but it doesn't go very deep. The CKM99 is the same in the sense that it lacks or is incapable of producing sub bass, except it has more impact, which only serves to further emphasize the deficiencies in bass detail. Take note that I'm comparing the bass to a Denon D5000, which is quite well known for having very good detail on bass. Compared to other IEMs, both do rather well for their price range.

Compared to the similarly priced Dunu Trident, the ckm55 has a less grainy sound, although it's less neutral as well. The Trident also has slightly wider soundstage, hence more accurate instrument placement, probably due to where the vents are located. Both of them have treble that rolls off a little too early, and in terms of bass both could use a little more impact.

CKM99: The ckm99 is a bright iem with a V-shaped frequency response, similar to dual BA iems like the B2 and DBA02 or headphones like the DT990. Given these characteristics, the ckm99 can be siblant and sounds like it has a recessed midrange on a lot of pop music with emphasized bass. The ckm99 has an upper midrange emphasis like a lot of other ATH products, and sounds excellent with acoustic instruments and generally anything that it doesn't sound siblant with, which is unfortunately not a lot of songs.

Listening comparisons:

The Smiths – There Is A Light That never Goes Out
CKM99: No siblance, Accurate reproduction, not sibilant, nails the bass guitar which holds the entire song together 

CKM55: Bass sounds deficient, mids are too forward and make other instruments like guitars and drums much less noticable

George Strait – Heartland
CKM99: Siblant, good imaging with very clear distinction for instrument placement, was not a pleasurable listen because of the siblance

CKM55: Soundstage sounds closed in, forward mids, treble seems to be recessed, no siblance detected

Pitbull – Give Me Everything Tonight
CKM99: No siblance, impactful bass, never turns siblant

CKM55: Bass is a little lacking, forward mids seem too forward as I don’t really want to hear Pitbull sing and not much else, especially in a dance song

Jane Monheit – I Wish You Love
CKM99: Excellent presentation of vocals, bass a little too prominenet, good extension on treble, imaging is accurate

CKM55: More forward mids with slight loss in clarity, smaller soundstage, just the right amount of bass and less sparkle on treble

Summary: Both are solid competitors within their respective price ranges, at least for the price I got them at ($28 for CKM55, $109 for CKM99). Get the CKM55 if you're looking for a neutral but mid-centric shallow insert IEM that doesn't lack bass (most of the time), although it can sound a little constrained at times. Get the CKM99 if you like dynamic driver IEMs with lots of bass and treble sparkle with great vocal presentation, although the highs can get shrill and siblance is a pretty big issue.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #941 of 1,323
Well my thread on budget headphones just got blown up now. Because I have seen for £59 shipped the CKS77s in the UK.
This is nearly double my budget, but I have been an Audio-Technica owner and fan for a long time. And I still love the CK7s. And they still cost £86 now.

Why did you do this to me?!
triportsad.gif

Do I stick to my budget or go for the sound I want... any comparisons to a CK7?

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #942 of 1,323
I think I'll just avoid headphone reviews now for a while :) I'm extremely happy with the sound of my CKM50s and really don't want any more bass. I am also very much enjoying my new id America Sparks so I'm quite content at the moment. I was able to get both those headphones for dirt cheap and that puts an even bigger smile on my face. 

Dsnuts, I'm gonna volley the ball back at you...if you can find the Spark for cheap (or well below the $60 list) then I think you should grab them because based on your listed preferences I think you will take to them quite nicely.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #944 of 1,323

Quote:
Mini review I wrote on another forum:

I was recently able to get my hands on a CKM99 (left) and a CKM55 (right), and decided to make a full blown review because of how different they sounded from one another. AFAIK, The CKM99 is currently the top of the line dynamic offer from Audio Technica.

Construction: The shell of the CKM55 is made of plastic, while that of the CKM99 is made of titanium. The front portion of both earbuds are virtually the same; made of plastic and stuck to the back portion using adhesive. The shell of the CKM99 is noticeably bigger and heavier. The biggest difference for me however lies with the cables. The CKM99's cables are comparatively much thicker and have a longer and thicker strain relief as well. This isn't a small matter when dealing with non-detachable cable type IEMs.
In terms of fit, the ckm55 is more comfortable because it's quite a bit lighter, and the metal of the ckm99 tends to feel uncomortably cold when first put on. The shorter housing length of the ckm55 also helps a lot with getting a comfortable fit initially. Both are shallow insertion IEMs with angled nozzles, but they somehow manage to be comfortable because of their rounded shape.

Sound Quality
CKM55: It has a foward midrange that seems overly focused on making itself heard over the highs and lows. While there's no lack of clarity in the mids, the treble seems to recessed and the bass is drowned out by the mids at times. Its's quite noticeable on tracks with quick bass beats like in house music and hip-hop. The bass of the CKM55 seems like a "one note bass", meaning it has copious amount of midbass but it doesn't go very deep. The CKM99 is the same in the sense that it lacks or is incapable of producing sub bass, except it has more impact, which only serves to further emphasize the deficiencies in bass detail. Take note that I'm comparing the bass to a Denon D5000, which is quite well known for having very good detail on bass. Compared to other IEMs, both do rather well for their price range.

Compared to the similarly priced Dunu Trident, the ckm55 has a less grainy sound, although it's less neutral as well. The Trident also has slightly wider soundstage, hence more accurate instrument placement, probably due to where the vents are located. Both of them have treble that rolls off a little too early, and in terms of bass both could use a little more impact.

CKM99: The ckm99 is a bright iem with a V-shaped frequency response, similar to dual BA iems like the B2 and DBA02 or headphones like the DT990. Given these characteristics, the ckm99 can be siblant and sounds like it has a recessed midrange on a lot of pop music with emphasized bass. The ckm99 has an upper midrange emphasis like a lot of other ATH products, and sounds excellent with acoustic instruments and generally anything that it doesn't sound siblant with, which is unfortunately not a lot of songs.

Listening comparisons:

The Smiths – There Is A Light That never Goes Out
CKM99: No siblance, Accurate reproduction, not sibilant, nails the bass guitar which holds the entire song together 

CKM55: Bass sounds deficient, mids are too forward and make other instruments like guitars and drums much less noticable

George Strait – Heartland
CKM99: Siblant, good imaging with very clear distinction for instrument placement, was not a pleasurable listen because of the siblance

CKM55: Soundstage sounds closed in, forward mids, treble seems to be recessed, no siblance detected

Pitbull – Give Me Everything Tonight
CKM99: No siblance, impactful bass, never turns siblant

CKM55: Bass is a little lacking, forward mids seem too forward as I don’t really want to hear Pitbull sing and not much else, especially in a dance song

Jane Monheit – I Wish You Love
CKM99: Excellent presentation of vocals, bass a little too prominenet, good extension on treble, imaging is accurate

CKM55: More forward mids with slight loss in clarity, smaller soundstage, just the right amount of bass and less sparkle on treble

Summary: Both are solid competitors within their respective price ranges, at least for the price I got them at ($28 for CKM55, $109 for CKM99). Get the CKM55 if you're looking for a neutral but mid-centric shallow insert IEM that doesn't lack bass (most of the time), although it can sound a little constrained at times. Get the CKM99 if you like dynamic driver IEMs with lots of bass and treble sparkle with great vocal presentation, although the highs can get shrill and siblance is a pretty big issue.

Strange I've always thought that the CKM55s were lacking in the mids with a V-shaped sound signature. IMO it really can't compete with my other IEMs, like the iM-590 or even the CKM50, though their street price are usually higher than $28. I've also found the CKM55s to be less comfortable than the CKM50s, and considering that I was switching from CX300s at the time, it was quite painful.

Would you know how these compare to, say, the E10s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back