The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Jan 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #226 of 1,323

Quote:
You saying the highs don't come out? Dman it!! That sucks. If that is the case. Forget I mentioned the CKM55 being an upgrade.. It just has a warmer sound than the CKM50 then. Not not a definite upgrade. Maybe even a downgrade. lol!!.

If you read around the other sites, you'll find people say over and over again that the CKM50s, CKM55s and Audio-Technica's entire IEM line <$100 have similar sound signatures, of which one negative aspect is their lack of detail.

I do wish that joker would review it though. I've been waiting so long for an objective review from a reputable source.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #227 of 1,323

Quote:
Eke!!You selling your GR07?? Wut?

Haha yup. I figured I might as well see what else is out there. My program is expensive as hell, so I can't afford to keep it while buying others. 

That's why I asked for the FXT90 loan @Eric 
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #228 of 1,323
The CKM50 so far has the better detail over the CKM55 and is more balanced. I was thinking maybe the CKM55 needs more burn to improve but if they stay the way they are. The only real upgrade in the sound is the roominess.. I would take proper sound over roominess any day of the week. I do hope they improve a bit.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #229 of 1,323
I wonder when and if the ATs have a burn in and how long...after 48 hours I can't tell if there has been a change, if so not perceptible to me not yet. I want more bass clarity.
One of the really nice things I've found is they seem to do very well crossing genres. I have some iems that don't.

ericp10 i really enjoyed your impressions of these compared to the JVC FXT90, another iem I haven't heard.

This is really strange, I spent a few hours with the isurus today after an hour with my reference full size headphones last night.
I need more time to listen and write this up but I'm thinking that the Tts might be the perfect iem sound quality wise, the fit, cord could need some attention.
I'm not trying to mud up the thread Ds. I think the ATs are great and still a steal at what we've paid.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #230 of 1,323
Oh yea man .There are a lot of things about the TTs I love.. That is why I like variety and different sound signatures. You like how your TT sounds with those foam tips I flowed you?

Ya ericp10. You got me wanting to try a FXT90 now too. Lol!

@Selenium. You get your CKM50??

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #231 of 1,323
the bass is bit too much for my like. sorry i mixed tips by mistake (large with medium), bass is fine with correct tips.

i'd like to point out these aren't very forgiving to low quality sources, but they do greatly benefit from an amp.

the way i enjoy these:  foobar2k ASIO -> FiioE7 -> CKM50

-vocal sounds very good

-sound stage is good

an interesting note here, i'm a bargain hunter, i end up with 1 full size headphone; 2 portable headphone; and 1 IEM, all Audio-Technicas. lol

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #232 of 1,323

Quote:
Oh yea man .There are a lot of things about the TTs I love.. That is why I like variety and different sound signatures. You like how your TT sounds with those foam tips I flowed you?

Ya ericp10. You go me wanting to try a FXT90 now too. Lol!

oh, your not going to like this........I tried they just don't work for me. nice and soft though. I'll try them on the tf10s. the double flange worked great for me there!

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #234 of 1,323

Quote:
oh, your not going to like this........I tried they just don't work for me. nice and soft though. I'll try them on the tf10s. the double flange worked great for me there!

Man. Those are foams. Even though those are one sized fit all if you have big ears I can see how those wouldn't isolate so well..They should have made those foams a bit bigger imo.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #235 of 1,323
I had a similar experience with the TF10s. I was listening to a song by The Darkness, and thought I heard something I had never heard before in the track. It was a light rapping of a symbol, coming from the left. I took the TF10s out, and popped my EX1000s in. That detail was there with the EX1000s as well, but I had to look for it. TF10s are just more in-your-face when it comes to detail, and that was against one of the best dynamics out there, let alone the CKM50.

Anyway, I have my CKM50. Burning them in now.

Quote:
Let me go into a little bit more about details (micro details). I was using an early '70s r&b tune by Bobby Womack as my test track. The song is called "If You don't Want My Love." In that song is basically vocals, drums, bass, guitar and bongos. The instruments are separated quite well in the original recording with the bongos being placed over in the right-side corner (there seems to be a lot of space between the percussion player and the other musicians). You can hear the bongos and details quite well in my TF10 (with new upgrade Fiio cables), but I could barely hear it that percussion with the CKM50. I could hear it, but barely. Maybe more burn-in is needed.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #236 of 1,323
Hmmm … I ordered a set of of the CKM50's. After reading some of the impressions from this thread, I'm thinking maybe I should cancel the order. In particular, an over-abundance of bass seems to be a common observation. It's a fine line between sounding full and having a preponderance of bass. Reports of recessed mids at higher volumes are also worrisome.

The reviews coming in make them sound as though they, like many other ~$25 IEM's, sound pretty good, but have their strengths and weaknesses, not making them bad, only appropriately priced. Since I'm not dissatisfied with my current IEM's, maybe these aren't such a great deal. Decisions, decisions.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #237 of 1,323

Quote:
Hmmm … I ordered a set of of the CKM50's. After reading some of the impressions from this thread, I'm thinking maybe I should cancel the order. In particular, an over-abundance of bass seems to be a common observation. It's a fine line between sounding full and having a preponderance of bass. Reports of recessed mids at higher volumes are also worrisome.
The reviews coming in make them sound as though they, like many other ~$25 IEM's, sound pretty good, but have their strengths and weaknesses, not making them bad, only appropriately priced. Since I'm not dissatisfied with my current IEM's, maybe these aren't such a great deal. Decisions, decisions.

For $25, it's decent sounding pair of IEMs. For >$50, there's better options.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #238 of 1,323

Quote:
Good morning Dsnuts. My burn-in process is going a bit slower than I anticipated, but I'm nearing 20 hours (if not there yet). So here are a few more observations on what I think about the CKM50:

- Still an enjoyable IEM that handily competes with the $50 to $100 range IEMs..
- Although isn't muddy, it is on the borderline of actually being too much bass.
- Highs have a nice weight and clarity to them, but the micro details aren't as great as I thought they might be (as of yet anyway).
- Mids are nice but a little bit too congested.
- Vocals are nice and forward, but again not as detailed as I have been hoping they would be (maybe they will get there).

Let me go into a little bit more about details (micro details). I was using an early '70s r&b tune by Bobby Womack as my test track. The song is called "If You don't Want My Love." In that song is basically vocals, drums, bass, guitar and bongos. The instruments are separated quite well in the original recording with the bongos being placed over in the right-side corner (there seems to be a lot of space between the percussion player and the other musicians). You can hear the bongos and details quite well in my TF10 (with new upgrade Fiio cables), but I could barely hear it that percussion with the CKM50. I could hear it, but barely. Maybe more burn-in is needed.

On the other hand, I decided to break out my JVC FXT90, which would have been a legitimate competitor of the CKM50 at both original prices points (the JVC was listed at $114 before shipping from Japan). It's even better now, but when I first got the FXT90 it had a micro-detail of vocals and instrumentation that was just amazing to me at that price point. Like I just stated, it's way better now, and the CKM50s don't come close to FXT90 in the micro-detailing. Don't misread what I'm saying, I still think the CKM50 is a very good IEM (especially if you can get for under $50), but it's not in the same league as the $114 FXT90 IMO.

Now, the sound signatures are nothing alike either, so one might favor one over the other from that standpoint. The ATH has more sparkly highs; a good soundstage, yet instruments seem to be closer together. The JVC, on the other hand, is a darker and warmer IEM than the ATH, but there seems to be more space between instrumentation. Also, the deep natural and realistic plucking of guitar strings is just marvelous with the FXT90. I know it's probably out of your range for cheapies search for the best sound, but you should pick up the FXT90 (since it is - in my opinion - a standard bearer of how great an IEM around the $100 mark can sound). I think the FXT90 would be a good IEM to compare against all of the cheapie IEMs you come across in sound quality. It's clearly (at this point) my favorite $120 (or less) favorite IEM. I'm not putting IEMs such as the TF10 (which sells for about $400 but you can get occasionally for under $100) in that category. But if I did, I think the FXT90 best the TF10 in some ways and vice versa, but that's not something to get into any detail on this thread. Happy listening and thanks again for pulling my coat tail on the CKM50...

Glad to hear those new earphones, one day I'll save up for them. Are the CKM50 far off from being near quality of the JVCs?

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #239 of 1,323
Went to amazon to buy the CKM50. Even put it in my cart, then saw a bit of guitar gear I had to have for the same price. Oh well, maybe next paycheck...

If I wait a week or two, maybe Dsnuts will have found the ultimate < $3.50 IEM... Props to you, man. You got me good sound for low bucks. To me that is even more fun than big bucks for excellent sound, 'speccially since I don't have big bucks.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #240 of 1,323

Quote:

I didn't find the bass overwhelming. I'd like it a little deeper and with better clarity. Don't get the wrong idea from impressions, they are just that. What the CKM50 is; a very nicely balanced, full range, quality cabled and comfortable with nice tips, pouch and extension cable for a maker that know the goods in a relatively small package.
Its really a shame to buy something that you don't want or need. After buying a couple of high priced iems it really is nice to see some budget models that sound out of place in what is expected in that monetary range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back