The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Apr 6, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #1,246 of 1,323
Hey Dsnuts, what AT headphone would you say the CKM99's resemble? I'm looking to upgrade my home rig and I'm really enjoying the CKM99's sound so far, so I want to look into phones with the same sound signature as them.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #1,247 of 1,323
Oh yea that is easy. Get yourself a ATH-A900X..I think you will love the sound of these cans. Make sure you get the A900X and not the older A900 as those lack the bass end of the A900X..The CKM77 sound is actually more similar to them but because of the bass response on them the detail is identical to the CKM77 but with the smooth mids and bass end of the CKM99..

The good news is you can now pick one up for around $250 which is much cheaper than when I bought mine. Let me know what you think of them if you end up getting them. Buy.com

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #1,248 of 1,323
I'm digging the ATH-CKM50A. I got my pair from overstock.com for $25, can't beat that price. I do feel that sometimes it's a little bright for me, but it really depends on certain tracks I listen to. Also, maybe I haven't fully burned them in yet, I'm still new to this whole game.

Dsnuts, you're a gold miner. A successful one at that. Props!

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #1,249 of 1,323

Quote:
I'm digging the ATH-CKM50A. I got my pair from overstock.com for $25, can't beat that price. I do feel that sometimes it's a little bright for me, but it really depends on certain tracks I listen to. Also, maybe I haven't fully burned them in yet, I'm still new to this whole game.

Dsnuts, you're a gold miner. A successful one at that. Props!

Never been called a gold miner but I will take that as a compliment. You enjoy your $25 buds. I would burn them in and make sure you got a good seal on the tips as sibilance will be more evident with a looser tip.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #1,250 of 1,323

Quote:
Oh yea that is easy. Get yourself a ATH-A900X..I think you will love the sound of these cans. Make sure you get the A900X and not the older A900 as those lack the bass end of the A900X..The CKM77 sound is actually more similar to them but because of the bass response on them the detail is identical to the CKM77 but with the smooth mids and bass end of the CKM99..

The good news is you can now pick one up for around $250 which is much cheaper than when I bought mine. Let me know what you think of them if you end up getting them.

Thanks, I'll look into them. The A/AD900's supposedly lacked bass, are you saying the A900X fixed that? I'm also considering the AKG K550 and HE-300's at the moment, its going to be a hard choice choosing between them...

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #1,251 of 1,323

Quote:

Thanks, I'll look into them. The A/AD900's supposedly lacked bass, are you saying the A900X fixed that? I'm also considering the AKG K550 and HE-300's at the moment, its going to be a hard choice choosing between them...

The one complaint from owners of the older A900 is the very neutral bass response which some may prefer but if you like your CKM99 sound the way that is. Those do have bass north of neutral which makes music more engaging imo. The A900X has improvements from the older A900 in that the bass response was increased while maintaining that smooth detailed highs and mids the A900 cans are known for. I know in the headphone world there are many choices I think any of those would be fine but I own the A900X and those just happen my favorite full sized cans.

And these will have the sound characteristics you like about the CKM99 while being more refined.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #1,252 of 1,323
Hey Dsnuts

Do you know if you search "CKM50" on amazon then not only does the CKM50 show up, but so does the SHE3580 and the TT Isurus

beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #1,254 of 1,323

Quote:
Hey Dsnuts

Do you know if you search "CKM50" on amazon then not only does the CKM50 show up, but so does the SHE3580 and the TT Isurus

beerchug.gif

Quote:
 Ha. I'm still waiting for my SHE3580s to arrive from Hong Kong (ordered a full month ago) so I can compare them to the 8320s, CKM50s, and Isurus.

You guys enjoy your earphones. Yes someone had to bring attention to them.. If you guys can find great musical enjoyment in a cheapo. Thats like finding a $20 bill in your pocket.. Happy listening fellas.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #1,255 of 1,323
So I finally got a chance to hear the CKM77, thanks to the generosity of a gentleman who shall remain unnamed. They really are detailed, but they're quite romantic at the same time. I hear a V shaped signature, but instead of recessing the mids to create the V, the bass and treble are boosted. Unlike many other v-shaped iems I've heard, the mids are absolutely untouched by the bass and they're detailed, present, smooth, and overall pleasant. This is a great iem, and well worth the price of admission. Dsnuts strikes again 
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,256 of 1,323
Nice. They sound lovely.. Somehow I had a feeling you might like them.. That sound is the most representative of the AT house sound I think even over the CKM99..I am glad you could finally hear them. Nice n burned in too. Enjoy my friend. I kinda miss my pair already. lol!

Those kinda remind you of the isurus a bit but much more refined?

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,257 of 1,323

How does these compare to the sound magic e10's? I'm looking for some fairly cheap IEMs, mainly used for working out and studying. I'd like something fairly fun with decent bass since they will mostly be used for working out. I used to have a pair of brainwavz m2's, but I think someone stole them, or I just lost them. I have some meelectronics iem's but don't really love the over the ear style. Also minimal microphonics would be ideal.

I don't want to spend tons of money on headphones that I may lose or break from being on the go, so I'm looking to spend under 50, closer to 30ish would be better. Basically looking for the best bang for my buck in this price range that fits my criteria. Both the ckm50 and e10's seem to get praise, so I'm not sure what I should do

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #1,258 of 1,323

Quote:
So I finally got a chance to hear the CKM77, thanks to the generosity of a gentleman who shall remain unnamed. They really are detailed, but they're quite romantic at the same time. I hear a V shaped signature, but instead of recessing the mids to create the V, the bass and treble are boosted. Unlike many other v-shaped iems I've heard, the mids are absolutely untouched by the bass and they're detailed, present, smooth, and overall pleasant. This is a great iem, and well worth the price of admission. Dsnuts strikes again 
beerchug.gif

Nice ears, I didn't really hear a v shape for some reason. I felt that the bass was not as strong and treble was strong at a point with rough and smooth mids. *rough as in too much detail with some voices that I can hear the actual sound from pronounciations* It's not rated well unfortunately, I wish this iem had its better times. (Good thing it is a gem)

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #1,259 of 1,323
So I understand:
CKM77 = more neutral, but also highs spike sometimes
CKM99 is the newer 77, but isn't worth the price vs the 77's

CKS77 = bassier, smoother
CKS90 is an older model than the CKS77's

CKS55 is the little brother of the 77's

I need to know which to order lol.
I think I'll be in the CKS category...but which.
77, 90 or 55.

Y U MAKE NUMBAS SO HARD AUDIO-TECHNICA!

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #1,260 of 1,323
Quote:
So I understand:
CKS77 = bassier, smoother
CKS55 is the little brother of the 77's

I need to know which to order lol.
I think I'll be in the CKS category...but which.

Y U MAKE NUMBAS SO HARD AUDIO-TECHNICA!

yeh I probably should have waited for Dsnuts CKS55's to arrive to see just how they stack up against the CKS77's but i know i would always want to upgrade if i knew there was a better version out there lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back