The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Jan 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #301 of 1,323
Looks like the party might be over.  Amazon just went up to $49.95.

Probably still not a bad price for these phones.  Just not the smoking deal they were...

Right now, the price around $24 and change seems to go back and forth between the Amazon and the fulfilled by Amazon dealer. The fulfilled thing as just as good as Amazon sending it as it's being shipped from Amazon's warehouse, and the return policy is the same as Amazon's. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. Only thing holding me back is if I want another one. :)

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #303 of 1,323
Today I get the CKM33s on the left and the CK303 on the right. What is interesting is. The newest earphone in the CKM line is indeed these CKM33s. Looking at the package. It has the same stabilizer ring that was seen on the CKM55s and share the same housing design. I just hope it doesn't have the same sound.. CKM33s @ $40 Smaller drivers 10.7mm. .5-24khz, 105bd/mW. These only come with tips and share the same 2ft long cord with a 3 ft extender.

The ATH-CK303 @ $26 is interesting as they are the newest earphones to be released world wide from AT 20-20khz, 100db/mW  using 8.8mm dynamic drivers. Both are 16 ohms..The cheaper of the 2. These came with a cheapo vinyl pouch and tips. At least these came with one.  I took a chance on both.

I have my fingers crossed that I will not go through another failure that was the CKM55.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #304 of 1,323
Well. AT is so unpredictable. So what does these sound like? I am happy to report that these have nothing to do with the lameness that was the CKM55. These sound nothing like them at all. These are balanced and even sounding across the spectrum. Flat neutral sounding ATs? Yes!. AD700 sound in the CKM33. Because these are clear of the big boomy bass that was on the CKM55s.

Guess what. Way better detail and cleanliness in the sounds. These lack the full body sounds of the CKM50s but make up for it with a very clean sound. Will report back after some burn. After the big bold bass of the CKM50. It is weird to hear these with very neutral bass. Lol. Sub bass extends well enough but is definitely lacking that punch you want in bassy tunes. Otherwise. Detail and neutral guys I think will like these.

I noticed the tademark AT highs on these so for fans of treble stay tuned.

The CK303. These have a balanced sound as well but doesn't extend in the highs or the bass as well as the CKM33. For $26 I payed. These certainly aren't bad. These remind me of how the SoundMagic PL30s sound. Good balanced sound. clean instrument separation but Not as detailed as the CKM33..These are the most comfy out of the bunch as they have a rounded driver housing and are small.

These have a bit warmer sound over the CKM33s similar in tonality to the CKM50s but lacks the detail the highs and the bass of them.  So these are more in line of the cheaper version of the AT sound.. These believe it or not sound better than the CKM55 but lacks dynamics of the CKM33 and the CKM50. These have a bigger bass punch over the CKM33 but sub bass kinda falls off early.

Both these are lacking that full body while having the dynamics of the CKM50.. Winner again= CKM50s

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #305 of 1,323
Sounds like CKM33 are for me. Balanced Lows/Mids, Accentuated highs. Eventually I want to own something for everything. Spider Realvoice for my Yuki Kajiura/Female-fronted library, Sony XB1000 for my jcore/freeform/idm/dnb/hard trance/rap/rnb library, and something with balanced low/mids/accentuated highs for my metal genres

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #306 of 1,323

Quote:
Well. AT is so unpredictable. So what does these sound like? I am happy to report that these have nothing to do with the lameness that was the CKM55. These sound nothing like them at all. These are balanced and even sounding across the spectrum. Flat neutral sounding ATs? Yes!. AD700 sound in the CKM33. Because these are clear of the big boomy bass that was on the CKM55s.

Guess what. Way better detail and cleanliness in the sounds. These lack the full body sounds of the CKM50s but make up for it with a very clean sound. Will report back after some burn. After the big bold bass of the CKM50. It is weird to hear these with very neutral bass. Lol. Sub bass extends well enough but is definitely lacking that punch you want in bassy tunes. Otherwise. Detail and neutral guys I think will like these.

I noticed the tademark AT highs on these so for fans of treble stay tuned.

The CK303. These have a balanced sound as well but doesn't extend in the highs or the bass as well as the CKM33. For $26 I payed. These certainly aren't bad. These remind me of how the SoundMagic PL30s sound. Good balanced sound. clean instrument separation but Not as detailed as the CKM33..These are the most comfy out of the bunch as they have a rounded driver housing and are small.

These have a bit warmer sound over the CKM33s similar in tonality to the CKM50s but lacks the detail the highs and the bass of them.  So these are more in line of the cheaper version of the AT sound.. These believe it or not sound better than the CKM55 but lacks dynamics of the CKM33 and the CKM50. These have a bigger bass punch over the CKM33 but sub bass kinda falls off early.

Both these are lacking that full body while having the dynamics of the CKM50.. Winner again= CKM50s

Looks like I would like these earphones instead, MAYBE if they let me cancel the previous order I made. I like both things, detail and clean sound, I think I'll try it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-Inner-Ear-Headphones-ATH-CKM33-/110747636691 - did you get it here?

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #308 of 1,323

Quote:
I got them for $40 on buy.com. I think it will be safe to get it from that dealer on ebay so $40 looks to be the standard price on them.

Lucky you! I can't buy it, :frowning2: amazon hates me for doing a late cancellation! *sniff* oh well, I'll like these too, I just wanted a bit more neutral, but hearing some tbone bass can't hurt.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #309 of 1,323
I just placed an order on Amazon for the CKM50 at $24. i look forward to hearing them after all the rave reviews. For the price, it was a no brainer. I also placed an order for the Yamaha EPH-100, so we'll see which I like better.(of course, the Yamahas are quite a bit more $, but other reviews in this forum seem to think a lot about them). We'll see!

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #311 of 1,323
So. Because I am lucky enough to actually own all these minus one Pro700Mk2 which I sent packing. These would be the Fullsized headphone equivalent

CKM50=M50

CKM55= Pro700MK2s. Yes.Both got the boot from me.

CKM33=AD700. Minus the sound stage of course.

Ck303= FC700A. Never had these but I can guess that these would be the Hp equivalent. Hope ya'll enjoyed my Headphone equivalents.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #312 of 1,323

Quote:
So. Because I am lucky enough to actually own all these minus one Pro700Mk2 which I sent packing. These would be the Fullsized headphone equivalent

CKM50=M50

CKM55= Pro700MK2s. Yes.Both got the boot from me.

CKM33=AD700. Minus the sound stage of course.

Ck303= FC700A. Never had these but I can guess that these would be the Hp equivalent. Hope ya'll enjoyed my Headphone equivalents.

Funny, the color and look of the equivalents *The first two* looks somewhat identical imo.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #314 of 1,323
I kept on thinking about the ugliness of the sound that was emanating form the reject that was the CKM55. The only other AT headphone I have ever sent packing. What you know. I sent the PRO700MK2s packing for the same reason when I bought them a long time ago. Muddiness does not belong to what I like to hear. The Pro700Mk2s are actually worse than the offensive CKM55s. Those are all bass. All the time with nothing else..

At least the CKM55s has some mids that you can actually hear. Both have very recessed highs. Those do kinda look alike.. The CKM50s for me sound better than my M50. They have better balance over the M50 and even a wider stage. But I have to admit the sound signature is very similar.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #315 of 1,323

Quote:
Suggestive advertising?

Perhaps, yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts

I kept on thinking about the ugliness of the sound that was emanating form the reject that was the CKM55. The only other AT headphone I have ever sent packing. What you know. I sent the PRO700MK2s packing for the same reason when I bought them a long time ago. Muddiness does not belong to what I like to hear. The Pro700Mk2s are actually worse than the offensive CKM55s. Those are all bass. All the time with nothing else..

At least the CKM55s has some mids that you can actually hear. Both have very recessed highs. Those do kinda look alike.. The CKM50s for me sound better than my M50. They have better balance over the M50 and even a wider stage. But I have to admit the sound signature is very similar.

That makes sense how you actually paired the pros with the ckm55s, so both are like the phones for the young crowd?

That is good, but without a nice high =/ well....that's it. In my opinion either way. I know right? Funny that the scheme of it doesn't look far off, Glad to know it is on par or better than m50s, but then again people have different ears :/. Better balance, wider stage, would that also include better detail on the sounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back