The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill
Apr 3, 2005 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Ajit

100+ Head-Fier
"The Art of Electronics" , considered by many to be one of the best books on Electronics is available on eBay for $29.50 plus $10.50 shipping. He has around 60 copies.

The seller says it is the International Edition which he/she claims is identical, page for page, to the 1989 U.S. Second Edition, with a money back offer otherwise. I have ordered one, but can not vouch for it till I get it.

He also has another auction for the same at $28.99, but it says 712 pages in the description. As far as I know it has 1,125 pages. Therefore, I am not sure whether the auctions are identical. In any case at $29.50, it is far cheaper than even a used copy.

Apr 4, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajit
He also has another auction for the same at $28.99, but it says 712 pages in the description. As far as I know it has 1,125 pages.

The last page of the index in my 1980 edition (1982 reprinting) is page 716

Used copies listed on Abebooks seem to be upwards of $30 or so, and many are paperback editions. So this looks like a good deal.

Apr 4, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 26
My error! I stand corrected. He does say 1980 Edition and 716 Pages for the $28.99 Auction. However, on the same page he says Second Edition. Probably a typo.

Apr 4, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 26
When I was in U, I remember friends (and later on myself), getting text books shipped from HK. At the time, the $ figure is similar. I can get a CDN$70 hard-cover copy from the univ bookstore, or a ~HK$80 soft-cover copy from HK (exchange rate being HK$6:CDN$1 at the time; ~9 yrs ago). Same editions.

If you have friends in SE Asia, you can try this out. If not, as long as you find the ebay price to be reasonable, then that's good too. You shouldn't need to worry about "fake" books. If it's a few revisions old, you should still be fine as long as you're not using it for school classes... though even if you do, I doubt things changed that much. It's not like the book goes into CPU design or anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 26
Clutz, I hope we are getting the right book ...

When I was back home in India, there was a company called Tata McGraw-Hill which used to produce a lot of similar books for about a fifth of the cost in the U.S. The quality was outstanding as well, probably attributable to the fact that Tata is the largest industrial conglomerate in the country, with hands in every pie, and taking pride in the quality of their products.

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 26
I received the book today. It is printed in India and is the Cambridge University Press Low Price Edition ( only for sale in Asia and Africa ). Shipped out of New Delhi, India by UPS on April 5th, it arrived early this morning. It is a complete copy, page for page, softcover.

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

I received the book today. It is printed in India and is the Cambridge University Press Low Price Edition ( only for sale in Asia and Africa ). Shipped out of New Delhi, India by UPS on April 5th, it arrived early this morning. It is a complete copy, page for page, softcover.

It is the first or second edition?

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

I bought it in India last summer. What is the price in Rs ??

Thanks!

gs

Apr 8, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 26
Would this be a good book for a beginner or is it rather advanced?

Apr 8, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 26
It is the 1995 Low Price Edition which is the same as the 1989 Second Edition. It is their Fifth Print Run (2004).

Guru, It does not carry a Rupee price, as it is for sale not only in India but also Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Africa. I paid $29.50 plus $10.50 shipping. Very fast shipping too... Got it on the third day in Chicago from New Delhi by UPS Express.

Considering most people here sell it for $60 to $75 and charge as much for shipping ( the book is 4.7 pounds ), I think it is pretty good bang for the buck.

Apr 8, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 26
Good enough,

Just ordered it. Last day too!

I want to get into amplifier building, Im experienced with none to very little knwledge about cirtcuits and shematics.

Will this book teach me how to understand the basics of building an headphone amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back