The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill
Apr 8, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Will this book teach me how to understand the basics of building an headphone amp?

This book teaches the fundamentals of many building blocks of electronic circuits that are used in headphone amps. I don't know of a tutorial book with a focus on amps, as good as Art; if there were one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

There are many books on op amps, e.g. by Jung, but the percentage of op amps in active service playing music is probably comparable to the percentage of people who make their living through music; op amps are used for everything under the sun, and that isn't what you're asking.

Think of amps as somewhere between programming and playing the blues. Either way, you learn and understand idioms. Try to understand as much as you can of the circuits popular here, starting with the simplest op amp circuits.

Artists learn by copying the works of others, then improvising. Learn to draw the schematics here from memory, the struggle will pinpoint what you don't understand, because it's much easier to recreate what you do understand. Then try things, like laying out a MINT or PIMETA but swapping in the power supply of the PPAv2, or seeing how much you can take out of a schematic without crippling its basic function. There's a fuzzy line between this, and improvisation as practiced by engineers.

Apr 9, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nleahcim
A book like this should be had in hard cover though! I have my copy on semi-permanent loan from the uni library. I just have to remember to renew it every month
biggrin.gif

I tried that with a vector calculus textbook during my first year of graduate school. Unfortunately I forgot to renew one month, and then continued to forget for a while until my late fines were substantial..

Now I generally prefer to buy the book if I'm going to use it for any length of time.
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #19 of 26
Just got my book from that ebay link. It says second edition printed on the cover of it
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for letting us know Ajit.

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #20 of 26
[rant mode=on]

I've never bought anything from Ebay before- but i did have an account cause I had previously considered making purchases. Consequently I didn't realize ebay had any address on file for me. I awaited the email from the individual selling the book telling me that he would ship it to me- and I did.
He told me the address he would be shipping it to, and I realized it was incorrect so I told the seller that the address in ebay was my old address and asked if he could change it's destination. He said that he couldn't- but that I could call UPS and change the destination with them once the tracking number went live.

The tracking number didn't work on their website (e.g. go live) at all for the first few days- which I didn't find surprising at all. But when it did show up, it was listed as delivered and signed for to my old address. Eek! I contacted my old apartment manager and got in touch with the new resident. He told me he had received the item, but left it out to be picked up by Canada Post (I don't know why- he didn't know why either) because it wasn't for him. He hoped it would be forwarded by Canada post to the correct person- although he didn't know why that would happen! (ARGH).

So for the last week or so I t hought I had basically lost the money I had spent on purchasing / delivering the book.

UPS came through! Apparently Canada Post forwarded the book on to UPS, who was confused as to why I would sign for the book and then return the package unopened. I explained to them that I hadn't actually received the book because it had been delivered to the incorrect address. So it is being re-routed to my current address. Woohoo!

Two things I don't understand. a) Why would someone sign for a package that clearly was not sent to them? b) Why would UPS deliver the package to someone other than its intended recipient? I talked with UPS about this when I first realized what had happened and they said that all they required was that there be an adult at the "location" to sign for the package. If you're not home then that person can be a neighbour who happens to be home.

Well- not everyone has the best relations with their neighbours- so maybe I don't want UPS to leave a package for me with my neighbour. Further, if all they require is an adult's signature from the "location" where the item is delievered- why not just pass the box off to someone hanging around outside the building at the time of the delivery. That would clearly reduce the amount of time it takes for the UPS delivery person to "successfully deliver" a package

I realize that part of this is my own fault and caused by my ebay inexperience. I don't understand why the seller wouldn't change the destination address himself when he hadn't sent out the purchase yet - esp. since I sent the address change request using E-bays messaging system. I don't fault the seller, and he was very eager to help me by contacting UPS and Canada post to ask them to redirect the package to me - so once I get my package I'll consider the transaction to be a positive one.
I'm somewhat irked by UPS now. On one hand, I'm happy they found the package and are re-routing it back to me- but on the other hand - what is the point of having "an adult" sign for the package simply if they are in the "location" where the item is to be shipped? I order biological supplies for lab work all the time from various scientific supply houses and when placing the order they ask whether or not it is okay to allow an other person sign for the package- and I tell them that either of our shipping department workers can sign for it - and I give them my name.

So, I dunno. I just think that if I have paid to have an item shipped to or from me, then I do not think it is unreasonable that I expect the item to be shipped to the person I specified at the address I specified. If the person is not there and the delivery company is told that the desired person no longer resides at that location - then why don't they just keep the package themselves and contact either the shipper or the destined receiver with the provided phone contact information? I don't think that's too much to ask.

[rant mode=off]

Apr 18, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #21 of 26
Obviously you should have kept your address up-to-date (both at ebay and paypal, if you use it), but the seller should have been able to accommodate you and ship to the proper address. I buy and sell stuff on ebay all the time and there is absolutely no reason why that couldn't be done. Paypal and ebay offers certain protections to the buyer and seller if the shipping address is verified, but if you updated your address info at these sites before the item is shipped, then these protections are not lost.

Apr 18, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syzygies
This book teaches the fundamentals of many building blocks of electronic circuits that are used in headphone amps. I don't know of a tutorial book with a focus on amps, as good as Art; if there were one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

There are many books on op amps, e.g. by Jung, but the percentage of op amps in active service playing music is probably comparable to the percentage of people who make their living through music; op amps are used for everything under the sun, and that isn't what you're asking.

Think of amps as somewhere between programming and playing the blues. Either way, you learn and understand idioms. Try to understand as much as you can of the circuits popular here, starting with the simplest op amp circuits.

Artists learn by copying the works of others, then improvising. Learn to draw the schematics here from memory, the struggle will pinpoint what you don't understand, because it's much easier to recreate what you do understand. Then try things, like laying out a MINT or PIMETA but swapping in the power supply of the PPAv2, or seeing how much you can take out of a schematic without crippling its basic function. There's a fuzzy line between this, and improvisation as practiced by engineers.

Don't Do it you really need every part in your ppa
3000smile.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
Obviously you should have kept your address up-to-date (both at ebay and paypal, if you use it), but the seller should have been able to accommodate you and ship to the proper address. I buy and sell stuff on ebay all the time and there is absolutely no reason why that couldn't be done. Paypal and ebay offers certain protections to the buyer and seller if the shipping address is verified, but if you updated your address info at these sites before the item is shipped, then these protections are not lost.

Yeah- had I realized that Ebay was keeping my mailing address, I would've changed it. Now I've updated. I don't understand why the seller didn't accomodate me because as soon as i realized the error, I updated my address and I believe before it was shipped. I'll just send everything to work because while I may change where I'm living, I know I'll be here for another two years.

Oh well, at least I'm getting it soon.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #24 of 26
Clutz and Ian, I am glad you found the link useful..

Clutz, they ship real fast which is probably why they could not change it. Mine was shipped on the 5th ex-New Delhi and reached me on the morning of the 8th, which is almost as fast if not faster than domestic shipping.

My shipping advise did not have the Zip Code and I e-mailed them. They e-mailed me right back that the item had already shipped, but that hey did have the correct Zip Code on it.

Apr 19, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #25 of 26
I got my book about 5 days after the purchase, due to weekend.

it arrived damaged because there was no packaging protection, it was a fat heavy paperback text forced into a paper express envelop
rolleyes.gif

fast shipping though, aside from the damage Im happy with it.

regarding UPS, its hit or miss, I didnt have to sign for mine, they guy just handed it to me. They are not required to have a signature, its up to the drivers discretion. If the neighborhook looks safe and has a low crime rate, they can just leave the package.

when my MK II 2000 monster power condition arrived in a humungous 2' x 4' box it was left on my porch. I freaked out that it was just out there like that lol.

Apr 19, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #26 of 26
My experience with UPS is that it depends on how the package was asked to be sent, i.e. if the sender request for it to be signed or if it needs an adult signature. Normally, UPS also does not leave the package at the door or someone elses house unless they are told so by the receiver, and that normally only happens after the second try when the receiver checks so on the little yellow tag on the paper UPS leaves the first try, AND that's only if the package doesn't require a signature by the specific person (which is why they leave that little yellow note the first try)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back