The Apex Teton Review and Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #181 of 242
Thanks, Preproman, for calling the 445 like you see it with brevity and wit.

I highly recommend the Sylvania metal base 6SN7 as the input tube in the Teton.  It is the best input tube I have used in the amp so far, although none are bad.  It will cost about $175 from Vintage Tube Services, so not cheap.  But that's spare change compared to the $1300 you would need to spend for a quad of EML mesh plate 45s, which are apparently essential to make the 445 sound either less lean or like God, depending on who you ask.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #182 of 242
  Thanks, Preproman, for calling the 445 like you see it with brevity and wit.

I highly recommend the Sylvania metal base 6SN7 as the input tube in the Teton.  It is the best input tube I have used in the amp so far, although none are bad.  It will cost about $175 from Vintage Tube Services, so not cheap.  But that's spare change compared to the $1300 you would need to spend for a quad of EML mesh plate 45s, which are apparently essential to make the 445 sound either less lean or like God, depending on who you ask.

I'm running a 1945 black base tall bottle 6sn7w and I concur. Spent the same $175 as well, which is allot, but worth it with the Teton.

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #183 of 242
Anyone tried using the IEM mode for the HD800? Some microphonic tubes now run completely silently. Will this reduce the sound quality in any way?

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #185 of 242

In my opinion it does. Did the same thing but ended up just chucking the bunk tubes.

I think with the IEM mode and noise floor down, I'm preferring the Teton over the 445 for most music now.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #186 of 242
Trying the Teton on iem setting at the moment. I have a slightly noisy GEC 6AS7G that picks up a little hum from one of my psu transformers. In iem setting the hum can't be heard but I am having to turn up the wick to around 3-4 o'clock to reach satisfactory volume. Will have to listen for a while to see if it sounds better than the normal setting. I am using HD800s.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #187 of 242
I did some comparisons after office hours, when there is less background noise. The noise floor goes down, the quality however is the same as the Unbal mode. I still like the 445 for classical and acoustic stuff but at least my noisy tubes are bearable. Makes tube rolling more fun.

Trying the Teton on iem setting at the moment. I have a slightly noisy GEC 6AS7G that picks up a little hum from one of my psu transformers. In iem setting the hum can't be heard but I am having to turn up the wick to around 3-4 o'clock to reach satisfactory volume. Will have to listen for a while to see if it sounds better than the normal setting. I am using HD800s.

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #188 of 242
Thought I would revive this thread, anyone else using the Teton with Lcd-x? I am a little worried about impedance mismatch. Any issues?

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #189 of 242
I had the Teton for about a month on the loaner program. Out of all my headphones at the time I used my LCD-X the most. It was an excellent match. I prefered the Teton to my ECBA with LCD-X and almost all of my headphones. You don't have to worry about the impedance mismatch. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #191 of 242
I had an X for sale not too long ago, but per hop ham's review back in the day I tried it out on the Teton and it is allot better than I thought it would be. Thanks hop ham. I still like the hd800 more but it is a pretty close race. I like the iem mode for X's but not for hd800's. The iem mode messes up the bass to me for the hd800's but does not mess with the X's bass and gives it more headroom.

My Teton will be at the Music city meet in 24hrs. As far as I know it's first head-fi meet.  

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #193 of 242
Wow, a truly committed Head-Fier. Drove up to a Chicago meet and now to a Music City meet.

Just got back. According to google maps I did 672 miles today in a about 11hours. Columbia, IL. to Franklin, TN. and back. Started at 4am. Kicked it in Franklin for 6 hours and got to try out all sorts of cool gear including a yet to be released Ether C. You should've seen the look on the guys faces when dan was like "I didn't bring it." It got pretty quiet really quick.   

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #194 of 242
Subbed. This thread hasn't seen much activity lately- are the Tetoners hanging out somewhere else these days? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back