The Apex Teton Review and Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #196 of 242
  Very exclusive club. Not a whole lot of owners. Fifty tops. Same for the wheatfield ha-2 and peak/volcano. Do not get it. I owned all 3 and all 3 amps were marvelous.

How does the Teton compare to the HA-2?

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #197 of 242
  I have been listening the Teton and the 4-45 again tonight, doing more critical side-by-side comparisons. I want to offer a bit more insight into the differences between the two amps, at least as I heard them tonight through my HD800s. 

I have been listening to Frank Ocean's Channel Orange and Tame Impala's Lonerism, both of which I have listened to many times before through headphones or speakers.  Both are in the rock genre, with multiple instrumentalists.  The vocals at times are multi-tracked and backup singers are brought into the mix on both albums.  Channel Orange is very well recorded.  Tame Impala is not a poor recording, but is not mastered nearly as well as Channel Orange.

The major noticeable difference is that the Teton offers more detail and resolution at all frequencies, but especially in the mid-range.  On Channel Orange, Ocean's voice through the 4-45 sounds comparatively recessed, lacks a bit of texture, and the backup singing and other vocal tracks are less distinct.  On the Teton, Ocean's voice, the additional vocal tracks, and the backup singing have textural detail that is comparatively MIA on the 4-45.  The Teton creates this detail without sounding clinical and as a result feels more musically insightful than the 4-45.  The same improved  detail also applies to the treble and the bass of the Teton, so the Teton creates a greater sense of air and it images better than the 4-45, especially front to back.  The Teton also has better bass than the 4-45.  That was my initial impression and it is confirmed again tonight.  Bass guitar and kick drums seem ever so slightly attenuated on the 4-45 compared to the Teton.

The Teton is a faster sounding amp than the 4-45.  The Teton's dynamics are simply exceptional.  When I listen to the 4-45, the contrasts between loud and soft passages are not quite as evident. 

The 4-45 has a bigger soundstage.  I like this aspect of the 4-45 in general, but at times the soundstage comes across a bit like a "wall of sound". Maybe I am not a "soundstage monster".  I own expensive speakers, the Behold Tanara, that create a more realistic soundstage than any headphone I have ever heard.

The 4-45 is certainly not a boring amp, but it didn't attract the same rapt attention as the Teton did tonight. For most music, the Teton is just more musically immersive.  Yes, someone dubbed the 4-45 the "God amp".  If so, I am not sure what to call the Teton, which in the most important respects sounds better than the 4-45.  

Thanks for the impressions. I'm just surprised to hear Channel Orange categorized as Rock. Are we thinking of the same album?

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #198 of 242
Hi just joined the Teton club. I've brought the sylvania 6F8G and metal base 6SN7. Have the TI 6528 from Todd and am looking for a 5998. Is there any others tubes you guys recommend? Any rectifiers? USAF 596, metal base GZ34, U52? Using the Macintosh MHP-1000 with these. Thanks.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #199 of 242
When I owned it I really enjoyed the 422a, gec 6as7g and 6sn7w. I had the hd800's and lcd-X though. Just me but if you have enough dough to get a Teton you should really get a used hd800. IMO this amp was made for that headphone. I have not listened to a MHP-1000 and I'm sure it is a great headphone but the hd800 scales mind blowingly well.

Congrats on the amp. It is worth the $5k and then some, but tubes are horribly priced right now and at least to me the Teton was brutally revealing of tube quality. If there had been more of a focus on the unbal. rather than having an iem option it would have been perfect.

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #200 of 242
As far as tubes go, the 6SN7 has the most effect on the Teton's sound.  The warmest sounding tube I have used in this spot is the RCA 6F8G, the most detailed and dynamic is the Sylvania metal base.  Everything else is somewhere on a continuum between those two tubes. Do not waste your money on a Mullard ECC32 -- it sounds good in some amps, but not in the Teton.

As far as output tubes, I like the TI 6528 best with the HD800s, but a Tung Sol 5998 is worth hearing as well. 

I would not spend a ton of money on rectifiers.  They seem to have the least effect on the Teton's sound quality.  I like the stock Sylvania rectifier.  The Mullard U52 is a little faster and more dynamic, but not dramatically so.

Finally, I agree with jibzilla's advice: spend the money on the HD800 or HD800S.  They sound awesome with the Teton and certainly will get you more marginal improvement in sound quality per dollar spent than wading into the marketplace for ultra-rare rectifiers.

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #201 of 242
I'm just afraid he is going to find out like I did that there is a pretty steep price to pay on the back end with tubes. If one already has a fairly established 5u4g, 6as7g, 6sn7 tube collection then yeah I'd say go for the Teton, if not... well I do not own mine anymore.

One other thing that would have made the Teton perfect is leaving out the 6as7g/6080 tube. Sorry if you are a fan of that tube but I hate that tube.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #202 of 242
 I'm just afraid he is going to find out like I did that there is a pretty steep price to pay on the back end with tubes. If one already has a fairly established 5u4g, 6as7g, 6sn7 tube collection then yeah I'd say go for the Teton, if not... well I do not own mine anymore.

One other thing that would have made the Teton perfect is leaving out the 6as7g/6080 tube. Sorry if you are a fan of that tube but I hate that tube.

Well, gsr108, welcome to the club.  I hope jibzilla is not making you second guess your purchase of the Teton.  I love the amp with the HD800s, have no regrets about buying it, and I have been a hobbyist for a decade now.  I have a $60K speaker system and have probably spent $100K to iterate to it, and enjoy the Teton almost as much as my speaker setup (although headphones don't provide the visceral experience that great speakers can create.)

I would call Vintage Tube Services for tube recommendations -- I have never bought a bad tube from Andy Bowman, he tests and grades his tubes more than other sellers, and his prices are generally lower than what you will pay on eBay.

Jibzilla, the only tubes I use in the Teton at this point are the Sylvania metal base 6SN7, Sylvania 6F8G, RCA 6F8G, TI 6528, and stock Sylvania rectifier.  I think I paid less than $500 in total for them.  There is no need to use 6080s or 6AS7s as output tubes in the amp. 

Also, I have found that it is easier, less expensive, and more marginally rewarding per dollar spent to source good input and output tubes for the Teton than for other tube amps I have owned, and I have owned quite a few. That is a result of the tube complement used and the amp's OTL design. Finding good tubes for the Teton is a bargain compared to finding the "best" tubes for the EC 4-45 -- a quad of EML mesh plate 45s costs about $1,300 and are not known for long-term reliability, a quad of NOS "globe" RCA 45s will run another $800, and the WE417A will run another $400.  Of course, you can find tube amps with no tube substitutes, like the ECP L-2 or the DNA Sonett, but those amps are not on the same plane as the Teton (although the L-2 is a much better amp and closer to the Teton than the Sonett.) 

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #203 of 242
Hi just joined the Teton club. I've brought the sylvania 6F8G and metal base 6SN7. Have the TI 6528 from Todd and am looking for a 5998. Is there any others tubes you guys recommend? Any rectifiers? USAF 596, metal base GZ34, U52? Using the Macintosh MHP-1000 with these. Thanks.

Welcome aboard the good ship Teton gsr108. I am sure the Mac phones are superb but you now owe it to yourself to buy or borrow a pair of HD800 and marvel at the immersive and musically engaging sound. You don't need to spend big on tubes to make this special amp sing.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #204 of 242
  Well, gsr108, welcome to the club.  I hope jibzilla is not making you second guess your purchase of the Teton.  I love the amp with the HD800s, have no regrets about buying it, and I have been a hobbyist for a decade now.  I have a $60K speaker system and have probably spent $100K to iterate to it, I would call Vintage Tube Services for tube recommendations -- I have never bought a bad tube from Andy Bowman, he tests and grades his tubes more than other sellers, and his prices are generally lower than what you will pay on eBay.

Jibzilla, the only tubes I use in the Teton at this point are the Sylvania metal base 6SN7, Sylvania 6F8G, RCA 6F8G, TI 6528, and stock Sylvania rectifier.  I think I paid less than $500 in total for them.  There is no need to use 6080s or 6AS7s as output tubes in the amp. 

Also, I have found that it is easier, less expensive, and more marginally rewarding per dollar spent to source good input and output tubes for the Teton than for other tube amps I have owned, and I have owned quite a few. That is a result of the tube complement used and the amp's OTL design. Finding good tubes for the Teton is a bargain compared to finding the "best" tubes for the EC 4-45 -- a quad of EML mesh plate 45s costs about $1,300 and are not known for long-term reliability, a quad of NOS "globe" RCA 45s will run another $800, and the WE417A will run another $400.  Of course, you can find tube amps with no tube substitutes, like the ECP L-2 or the DNA Sonett, but those amps are not on the same plane as the Teton (although the L-2 is a much better amp and closer to the Teton than the Sonett.) 

It sounds like you found your end game amp. Not trying to scare anyone off. A good 90% of what I have to say about the Teton is ultra positive. There are just 2 things that I thought were worth mentioning. You can also go as high $$$ wise with the Teton as the EC445 with a 274a, 421a, 33s30.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #205 of 242
I actually just sold my pair of HD800's right before I brought the teton.  I have too many HP's and decided to pare them down to the SR-009, HE-1000's and the MHP-1000's.  I was debating between the HD800's and the MHP-1000's but the fact that I needed a closed HP won out.  I actually really like the stock tubes with my slightly modded mac's. I may try the RCA 6F8G's, just waiting on my adapter to come in.  Thanks. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #206 of 242
I actually just sold my pair of HD800's right before I brought the teton.  I have too many HP's and decided to pare them down to the SR-009, HE-1000's and the MHP-1000's.  I was debating between the HD800's and the MHP-1000's but the fact that I needed a closed HP won out.  I actually really like the stock tubes with my slightly modded mac's. I may try the RCA 6F8G's, just waiting on my adapter to come in.  Thanks. 

The Teton is a great amp. I am still holding on to mine. I do prefer the HD800 with the Teton but the HE1000 sounds great on the Teton too. I used to prefer the HE1000 with the EC445 more. Sold my EC445 pending an upgrade to the Studio, how are you enjoying yours?

I see you also have a BHSE. I am using the SR009 with a DIYT2.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #207 of 242
The Teton is a great amp. I am still holding on to mine. I do prefer the HD800 with the Teton but the HE1000 sounds great on the Teton too. I used to prefer the HE1000 with the EC445 more. Sold my EC445 pending an upgrade to the Studio, how are you enjoying yours?

I see you also have a BHSE. I am using the SR009 with a DIYT2.

I took your advice and brought a set of EML solids to use with the 4-45.  I like it much better now with the HE-1000's.  My favorite is probably the BHSE/SR009 setup now.  Toss up between the 4-45/HE-1000's and teton/mac's for second place.  Would love to hear a DIYT2 - they're so rare though that I doubt it will ever happen. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #208 of 242
I took your advice and brought a set of EML solids to use with the 4-45.  I like it much better now with the HE-1000's.  My favorite is probably the BHSE/SR009 setup now.  Toss up between the 4-45/HE-1000's and teton/mac's for second place.  Would love to hear a DIYT2 - they're so rare though that I doubt it will ever happen. 
That's good to hear. I am enjoying the T2 and SR009 more than any other setup, too. Cheers!

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #209 of 242
Anyone knows if the 274B can be used as a rectifier in the Teton?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back