The Apex High Fi Pinnacle
Jun 21, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #31 of 45
So, is the amp that was at CanJam now available for a loaner program? 
biggrin.gif

Seriously.  I, and probably many others, would love to audition it before considering paying that much.  I assume the loaner program could accept a credit-card with a large deposit before sending out, and even charge a non-refundable $100 plus shipping for each loan.  You'd get a lot more real reviews and hype out there, plus more sales than you'd get otherwise.  I never considered your last uber-amp because there were never any detailed reviews and comparisons of it - just meet impressions.  That's why so many of these new headphones are doing so well lately, is because of actual reviews by many different people.

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #32 of 45
HI bdh,

The amp is currently in the hands of a Head-Fi member and a review will pop up here at some point. If you want to audition the Pinnacle, please feel free to give me a call and I will try to arrange it.

you can also read what Marc Mickelson from THE AUDIO BEAT said about it! Best of Show at CanJam!

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/canjam2010/canjam2010_bos_apex.htm

Todd

Jul 5, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #33 of 45
     Quote:
...I never considered your last uber-amp because there were never any detailed reviews and comparisons of it - just meet impressions...

Hello bdh,

That is not true.  The very first post in the High-end Audio Forum was the review of Todd's 307A amplifier.  Here is the link: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/342713/the-ttvj-millett-307a-dynamic-headphone-amplifier

I had the extreme pleasure of listening to the Pinnacle and will be posting a review as soon as possible.  Please read the 307A thread.  The two amps (Pinnacle and 307A) are not that much different functionality wise, except for the preamplifier capabilities of the newer amp.  Sound quality is different, however, and as good as the 307A is (and it is TERRIFIC), the Pinnacle is a step above in 3-dimensionality, image paplability, and bass weight and articulation.  More to come...

K

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #34 of 45
Must....win....lottery....

...or save up for a Peak/Volcano.

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #36 of 45
Todd was nice enough to send me his and Pete's newest creation.  I have to say that it is the best headphone amp I have heard, hands down.  I did not get a chance to audition it as a preamp, but I'm sure it's state of the art in that role also.  Thanks much Todd, I really enjoyed my time with the Pinnacle.  It's time to start saving $$ and selling stuff.

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #37 of 45
Isn't it SWEET!  I would LOVE to own one myself.

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #38 of 45
So where is your review of the amp 4N6?

Todd, in the DavidMahler thread you said we need to wait until you post something in the TTVJ forum to sign up for a loaner?  Or can I get in line now?

I'm receiving a 12ax7->45-based SET for my speakers today, which I'll compare with my current 6sn7->300B-based push-pull 30W amp.  I would love to hear how one of these type of tube amps sound with my headphones.  And if $10,000 would be worth it for a headphone amp, as it's much more than I paid for these speaker amps.

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #39 of 45
HI BDH,

Please email me at todd@ttvj.com. I would prefer to lend this to serious potential buyers only - it is my personal unit and I have already been without it for well over a month. It is currently being reviewed by THE AUDIO BEAT so when they are done with it i can have it sent to you. You would have 1 week from the time you received it until you would have to ship it back to me. If this will work for you, send me your shipping info and phone number. I would expect you to receive it in a month or so. (reviewers take their time)

I look forward to your e-mail.

Todd

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #40 of 45
Oct 12, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #41 of 45
No offense taken. 
beerchug.gif

I don't know how I missed both reviews.  Addmittedly though, I only check HF once a week as there is little that's new that I'd seriously consider purchasing.  Unless there's something that will take me to the next level rather than just trying a different flavor, I'd rather spend my time listening to music than reading endless posts and threads.  From your review, yes I'm excited about hearing this amp as a potential ground breaker for me.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #42 of 45
Jul 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #43 of 45
Anyone with a Pinnacle should try out a Psvane 6ns7 (their CV181T). I got one and it's so great and fleshed out and
really shows the great distinguishing qualities of tube sound over solid state. There is a wonderful humanity to the sound with these tubes.
But they are not soft or rolled off either; they still have great controlled bass and liquid sweet and very extended highs.

But it's the superb midrange textures that are very real, with great image density and placement.
It's just great in the Pinnacle and makes it even better, both as a preamp and with headphones, especially HD800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back